Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 10:49 pm

I have one Lupus or had one. Not sure If I still have one.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 11:00 pm

Soon wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure auto-immune disorders never go away (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). So if you had lupus, you still have lupus.

RedTape0651
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jan 2008, 11:02 pm

No autoimmune disorders that I'm aware of, nor any major allergies. But I do think that it is likely that autism and autoimmune disorders are correlated.

As far as I know, allergies are NOT considered autoimmune diseases. From what I remember, it may have to do with the fact that allergies only affect the IgE antibodies, whereas autoimmune diseases will affect other antibody types. But allergic reactions can be surprisingly dangerous.

I took an immunology course but didn't really understand it.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 11:17 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
Soon wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure auto-immune disorders never go away (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). So if you had lupus, you still have lupus.

Lupus can go into remission, like cancer.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 11:18 pm

beau99 wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:
Soon wrote:

Lupus can go into remission, like cancer.

It must be in remission then. I hope it stays there for ever. I never slept so much in my life.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 1:18 am

Mikomi wrote:
zendell: very interesting info, I'm going to read more on those.

Here's a good site that lists almost all the studies found on immune dysfunction in autistics. http://www.autismndi.com/news/default.a ... ow=Studies

Look for "Selection of journal articles regarding immune dysfunction and/or mercury toxicity in autism" and click on READ MORE. I think the reason mercury is included is because studies implicate mercury as one of the possible causes of immune dysfunction in autism as well as other conditions.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 9:24 am

Docs haven't found a reason for it, but I'm almost always on antibiotics. Two months ago, I had an ear infection. It went away... then came right back. Now, I'm on my second round of antibiotics for a tooth infection that won't go away, and I also have a UTI that doesn't seem to want to go away.

I'm my own guinea pig.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2008, 10:48 am

Not sure, I'm looking for a disorder I might have, but right now I'm not sure if it's bacterial, autoimmune, or neuromuscular. The problem is that the all have a diagnosis that almost fits, but missed some areas of my problems, or has a lot of symptoms I don't have.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 11:25 am

Make sure you do a lot of research if you're ever diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. Research is showing these autoimmune diseases are likely caused by infections according to http://www.mayoclinic.com which seems like a reliable site. Doctors treat autoimmune diseases with drugs that suppress the immune system. These drugs will treat the symptoms (which makes you better in the short-term) but worsen the underlying cause of the symptoms (which makes you worse in the long-term). Conventional treatment results in enormous profits for the doctors and drug companies but is terrible and often deadly for the patients.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2008, 11:44 am

Ticker wrote:
Some of you that are posting do not even know what autoimmunity means. It has nothing to do with latex allergy, getting chicken pox or the cold.

I have an autoimmune illness called Crest Syndrome.

I wasn't necessarily refering to a specific AI disease, but immune disfunction in general which does have to do with illness, allergies, infections...ect. I read a different article that explained how Autism is not thought of anymore as a disease of the brain but a disease that afffects the brain, gut and immune system. It also said how it can't be coincidence anymore that so many Autistics have a history stuff like eczema, allergies, ear infections, and chronic diarrhea. I thought this topic was about immune problem in general too, not just autoimmunity. Sorry.

Last edited by Pithlet on 01 Feb 2008, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 3:47 pm

I have several autoimmune conditions, and I'm being tested for more. :?

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2008, 3:15 pm

Fibro

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 3:25 pm

Come and go arthritus. Lupus in remission. Psoriasis. Think I'm coming down with fibromyalgia with lots of pain points. Ecsema and multiple allergies which is an immunity system gone stupid.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 3:56 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
I've had psoriasis on my scalp and ears since I was a kid.

I believe I have this. Although looking at wikipedia it is definitely mild. I never realized it was autoimmune. 'Plaques' is a pretty accurate way of describing it. I also get it behind my ears and scalp, and small on my chest. It has also appeared in random places like a patch on my arm that has gone. I can control it by using E45 cream and Oilatum Shampoo. It not really noticeable or a problem, so long as I continue using those. I can never stop. If I don't use them after a while patches can come off at over a cm in diameter and this is probably reduced some because hair follicles create natural tensions the break up sections, but the rest is intact with the hairs travelling through.

What is not mild is how sensitive the patches are. I remember when I had an operation on my head and after they put a sterile gauss round my head, just the normal type they wrap round wounds. Within an hour it was really angry, red raw.

Interestingly the operation I had on my scull is to do with a genetic condition when skin like cells is growing inside the bone and psoriasis is a condition where shin is growing excessively fast.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 10:42 am

LostInSpace wrote:
Soon wrote:

They can go away. I have had a few boughts of psoriasis, but am usually clear skinned. My wife was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease (autoimmune thyroid disease) but her anti-thyroid antibodies have fallen into the normal range after removing wheat from her diet. People that have had an autoimmune disease or that have a tendency to autoimmune disease might see it return.

Faramir
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Mar 2008, 10:56 am

When my son was 14 months old, a routine stool sample showed increased yeast levels. My brilliant wife saw the connection no doctors were looking for and we went to a strict specific carbohydrate diet, eliminating gluten, lactose, casein, which covers a broad swatch of foods, including wheat and cane sugar!! !! We bake with almond flour and sweeten with honey. It was as if a fog lifted from the mind of our little boy and he started to come out and join the emotional and social world around him. And he stopped getting so sick and stopped his chronic diarrhea.

Evidently, this is some kind of autoimmune response that we have turned off.