Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 10:40 pm

Very interesting topic... :idea:

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 11:27 pm

Kryten tends to look like a novelty condom head, I think that may be an issue with having an
overly symmetrical head, as most people tend to have a slightly asymmetrical faciel features.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 1:20 pm

I tried it on my picture and other pics ....it fits all human faces. Only my jaws poorly fit into it (smaller than mask's jaws).

Only an extremly deformed face won't fit into this mask.

It's ridiculous and can't be an accurate tool for beauty measurement

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 7:35 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
I tried it on my picture and other pics ....it fits all human faces. Only my jaws poorly fit into it (smaller than mask's jaws).

Only an extremly deformed face won't fit into this mask.

It's ridiculous and can't be an accurate tool for beauty measurement

I disagree, I think this really is a beauty measurement thing.

All human faces should actually match it because that is how we are supposed to look, the difference between an average looking person and a really attractive person is that the really attractive person matches it more.. Look for yourself!! !

I tried the male mask on my face and it fits very well, but then I compared myself to someone I consider more attractive than me and he fitted the mask better in more subtle ways.. It's freaky..lol

I might post some pics later to show you what I mean. All beauty is, is looking more symetrical...

You do have exceptions to the rule of course where beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but if you want to know who are the most attractive people are they will fit those masks. It does make sense because being symetrical means you are a more perfect copy and thus those people will be more attractive. All nature follows that ratio. :shrug:

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 10:18 pm

how does one try the mask on their own face?

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 10:21 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
how does one try the mask on their own face?

You need to use a graphics program like photoshop or gimp.

Rack
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2008, 1:55 am

Lol, Spudnik that was absolute genius.

Setting that aside the most obvious problem I can see is the cheekbones are far too low on the smiling mask. High cheekbones are considered beautiful, but those are incredibly low.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 8:09 pm

Here is Tom cruse he seems to kind of fit both masks.

ImageImageImage

Here is Johnny Deep he fits the female mask. :chin: But he has eyes that fit the male mask.

ImageImage

BallisticMystic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2008, 2:13 pm

I don't really know about the mathematical details, but beauty is definitely based on proportion. The whole being human thing is really about representing the Whole in each individual. The whole represented out of proportion is a Frankenstein, the whole represented in perfect proportion is the most beautiful form in existence. It's been said that the most beautiful people are "average" and it both makes sense and is provable by just looking around. They don't have big noses or small noses, they aren't fat and they aren't skinny, not tall and not short, in other words they're "just right".

I know from personal experience that the thing that gets me the most excited is seeing a girl who comes close to conforming to these perfect sets of proportions. There are many different sets of proportions we look at when we're oogling someone and I've never seen a woman who conforms to all of them, I think that girl would be what you'd get if you combined them all into one.

"Average" is by mathematical definition a perfectly proportioned representation of the whole, this is why average looking people are considered to be the most universally attractive. Personally I don't need to bust out a calculator when I see a good looking girl to know she's hot and I don't consciously have any predefined set of parameters, but I know "it" when I see it. From the moment I spot a good looking girl the savant in me is scanning and comparing her to the human canon of perfect proportion while the idiot in me stands there drooling from the shiny object effect.

It isn't the physical form we want to roll in because we can't get enough of it, it's what that form represents and how it relates to what we're doing here that we get off on. In other words, if I'm mesmerized by a particular woman's body or part of her body and I analyze my thoughts, I know it's not the flesh itself but the nearness to perfect proportion that I'm admiring. I want her, but not "her", she is a representation of the qualities I'm after in my "heaven" or world I'm building behind the veil as I make my way through this decaying hell.

The "sin" of lust is really just that you're externalizing the quest for love, you're looking for something outside of yourself when it's actually within you. The only "punishment" for this is the frustration of not finding what you're looking for because you got caught up in a wild goose chase. You can't find something in a place that doesn't exist... there is nothing outside of yourself so if you're looking there it's only because you haven't realized what you are yet.

Just my 2 cents :P

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2008, 4:16 pm

Neat.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 4:24 pm

hmmm....I think I was wrong. This mask does show the level of masculinity of a man's face (the width of jaws in particular) , the male celebs who are supposed to be more attractive than others fit better into the mask.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 6:51 pm

I remember Mythbusters had a segment on the Golden Ratio. What they found seemed to debunk the idea of golden ratio equalling a conventionally beautiful face. They found people with faces that would not be perceived as beautiful by societal standards to be mathematically in line with the golden ratio, and people who were real life models and perceived as beautiful who were way off the ratio.

Taking a break.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 7:34 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
I remember Mythbusters had a segment on the Golden Ratio. What they found seemed to debunk the idea of golden ratio equalling a conventionally beautiful face. They found people with faces that would not be perceived as beautiful by societal standards to be mathematically in line with the golden ratio, and people who were real life models and perceived as beautiful who were way off the ratio.

any links??

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 7:52 pm

zen_mistress wrote:

Nonsense! Because this is all non-falsifiable, we just need to adjust the way we construct ideal proportions based on the golden ration.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 8:02 pm

MR_BOGAN wrote:
zen_mistress wrote:

any links??

I went looking for some but I couldnt find any links. The episodes are listed on the website but not the sub-topics within the episodes. Perhaps it was on Braniac.. but Im pretty sure it was mythbusters. I think Braniac are more about making weird chemical reactions etc.

Taking a break.