hm!? :?
I have allways one point less. :roll:

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 7:02 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
DayleJasmine wrote:
I have just done the self test. I scored 37.. i have been worried about myself for a long period of time, i have always thought there is something about me that isnt right, i have really bad mood swings and i find myself talking to myself. My boyfriend has recently called me a 'pysco' and ever since he said that it feels like something has 'clicked'.. it makes sense. I am currently on medication for depression. I am scared of going to my doctor and talking to her about how i realy feel.. I dont want to be taken away and locked up in a mental hospital.. So does anyone recomend any therapies or anything that helps?????

I want HONEST answers and replys.. I appreciate honesty even if it seems harsh.

Thank You
X

Now that you realize you may be bipolar like I am and realize some of the negative activities you are doing, that is the first step to recovery. After I realize I may have bipolar, even talking to myself and cursing like a sailer, I think to myself don't do this and keep thinking about it until I calm down. Being aware of being bipolar has really helped me identify and at least lessen the negativity that I feel.

As for therapies, they may or may not help since you are on meds for depression already. I decided not to get therapy for my possible bipolar now that I realize what the issues are. Your boyfriend need to be educated about bipolar and help you instead of calling you a psycho. Good luck. I wish you the best of luck.

I think this is good advice, although you have to be very careful with depression meds if you are actually bipolar because SSRI's can trigger manic episodes. It's better not to be on anti-depressants if you have bipolar as opposed to unipolar depression.

(manic episodes can also present as rage/irritability, not necessarily just euphoria)

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 3:42 am

sunshower wrote:
I think this is good advice, although you have to be very careful with depression meds if you are actually bipolar because SSRI's can trigger manic episodes. It's better not to be on anti-depressants if you have bipolar as opposed to unipolar depression.

I think I MIGHT have Bipolar II (it's hard to tell for me, because I also had a trauma 2 years ago, who is getting better, but I had the mood swings even before, but in this period they got a lot worser). Right now I feel really good and still a bit bad at the same time.
I was never manic, that's for sure.

Yes, you have to be carefull with SSRI's, but I read that the worst you can take by a possible bipolar disoder are SSNRIs and espessially tricyclic antidepressants!

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2012, 1:48 am

Raziel wrote:
sunshower wrote:

I think I MIGHT have Bipolar II (it's hard to tell for me, because I also had a trauma 2 years ago, who is getting better, but I had the mood swings even before, but in this period they got a lot worser). Right now I feel really good and still a bit bad at the same time.
I was never manic, that's for sure.

Yes, you have to be carefull with SSRI's, but I read that the worst you can take by a possible bipolar disoder are SSNRIs and espessially tricyclic antidepressants!

If you have bipolar in my opinion you shouldn't be on SSRI's at all, you should be on a mood stabilizer. If that is not enough to fully counteract the depression, you can go on something like lamictal which works like an an anti-depressant but it doesn't trigger mania or hypomania.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 1:50 am

The mixed episode (feeling good and still somehow depressed at the same time), is this typical for Bipolar Disorder, or can this phenonemone also occour by depressions? :?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 2:57 pm

Okay, well:

Total score of: 17
(10-17 Possibly Mildly Manic, or Hypomanic)

"You appear to experiencing some symptoms commonly associated with mania or hypomania, but which are also often common amongst the general population. It is unclear whether or not you suffer these problems severely enough to need to seek further diagnosis and treatment.

If you would like to take this psychological screening test again in the main CounsellingResource.com quizzes section, just click “Mania Screening Quiz: The Goldberg Mania Questionnaire”. Alternatively, please read on below for additional information on how this test was scored, for notes on limitations of this and other such quizzes, and for links to other related resources."

8O

kckinkat1991
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2012, 1:50 am

i did the self test three times and got 46 every time, but my doctor doesn't believe me when i tell him about my mood swings and evrytin that comes with them :(

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2012, 6:40 am

kckinkat1991 wrote:
i did the self test three times and got 46 every time, but my doctor doesn't believe me when i tell him about my mood swings and evrytin that comes with them :(

Why not?
What does you doctor believe?

Maybe you take the testresults with you.

kckinkat1991
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2012, 3:17 pm

Raziel wrote:
kckinkat1991 wrote:

Why not?
What does you doctor believe?

Maybe you take the testresults with you.

i don't know nd i've had two different opinions from two doctors so far, 1 saying borderline bipolar the other a personality disorder, but no diagnosis as of yet, i think i'll take the test results from all the different tests i've done online as all of them have the same result of symptoms of bipolar. i should add that my health visitor is convinced that i have bipolar, however i now have to see a councillor again, the 18th 1 since the age of 14 :(

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2012, 10:28 am

FireBird wrote:
I got a 41 but I answered the questions by saying how I feel when I do go manic, not right now. I am diagnosed as schizoaffective disorder bipolar type. I don't think my manias are as severe as this test suggests. Actually my manias are not that serious and are more like hypomanic episodes. My schizoaffective disorder is much more mild compared to others with the disorder. For example its rare for me to actually hear voices. According to the test if you score higher than 22 its possible that you have bipolar disorder.

That's similar to my experience. I am not Autralian so I couldn't take the test. I am diagnosed with schizo-affective assuming: bipolar type and also adhd. I do not hear voices on medication nor do I have marked delusions, and I handle stress fairly well. My psychiatrist recently asked if when I went home I still heard voices or had problems, and I said no I haven't ever really on the medication. She seems to think that may be the difference between Bipolar and Schizoaffective. I am still confused. Because, it's about basing the illness on the past experiences, meaning before it was treated. Then, of course, if the medication is working too well over five year period of time, then people may forget what the onset was. I think my first episode may have been a manic episode, but they just called it Psychosis. People tend to think I was misdiagnosed and have Bipolar. The problem is I also have relatively stable moods, for the most part, on medication as well. So it's really hard to know what my real symptoms were, being effectively treated over long periods of time. And a lot of subjectivity due to interpsonal problems or just growing up, going to college, and stress?

"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 2:39 pm

Kalinda wrote:
People tend to think I was misdiagnosed and have Bipolar.

Well, I can understand the need for a correct diagnoses, but I really think if it's stable most of the time it's not that important if you have Schizoaffective or Bipolar.
They are really close together.

It's not like:
Bipolar or Borderline
for example.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 9:56 pm

34...I think I have type 2 bipolar, how would I go about diagnosis?

Also, do you think it is worth forgoing medication to use the lows and highs for more creative artwork?

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 3:04 am

38, bad test and I am Bipolar.

I mean I had already lost concentration by question three, had to go back to see if it was covered in question two, roflmao, true story. It was. I went on and found it profoundly...off, but so are Aussies ;p

(with other things)

Last edited by postpaleo on 24 Aug 2012, 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 3:05 am

SanityTheorist wrote:

Also, do you think it is worth forgoing medication to use the lows and highs for more creative artwork?

It's only a problem, if it is a problem.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 10:34 pm

Kind of unfair, but I took it for my family member.

They don't believe they are bipolar, except that they were diagnosed at a younger age.

I tried to explain to them that it doesn't go away.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 10:37 pm

postpaleo wrote:
SanityTheorist wrote:

It's only a problem, if it is a problem.

Explain.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist