Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 4:44 pm

@gedrene yes your right in a way and i dont follow A.S so maybe he has done stuff i dont know about.however i dont think inside the box and im not for A.S or asan.i think T man as well works with and is critical of A.S.he also thinks outside the box.he is chummier with autism speaks than i would be,but T man is not a autism speaks supporter.im on ci's forum all the time and i know a curebee when i see one.tambourine mans is N0 curebee

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 5:20 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Tambourine-Man wrote:
I'm not suggesting that you are a terrorist by any means. Not at all. Please do not think that comment was directed at your skepticism. I'm a skeptic myself.

No you aren't. Your actions have triumphantly put Autism Speaks on a pedestal as soon as you thought about it. You have never presented a moderate view of scepticism towards autism speaks at all. It's either they're accusing Autism Speaks of being nazis this or they are tryng to drag us all to the ground that.
It has been a constant trumpeting up of face value things whilst a complete silence when it comes to the innards of the organisation although of course there is much bter about what is happening.

Tambourine-Man wrote:
I've seen the way they love their autistic family members, and I've seen the way they have treated me as a person and an equal.

Really? This is news to me, mostly because all I ever see from autism speaks members are threee things:
1) Homeopathic treatment nonsense.
2) It was the vaccines
and last but not least
3) I thought about muder-suicide of myself and my child.
If I could ever see anything of course.

Tambourine-Man wrote:
I too once thought of Autism Speaks as a corporate juggernaut of death and greed. Then I met some of their employees.
Really now? You have said a lot of questionable things about other people that leads me to believe that intent is involved. You talk about people being terrorists. That is an appeal to emotion so shallow that it should make anyone spring up with suspicion.
Furthermore it's an outright insult because it counterdicts the evidence you see from people on here being quite justifiable and respectable but you never put in a good word for them on a constant, unending basis. The only reason why I show up on the radar I am sure is because I make sure to interrogate every person on here with unending glee.

Tambourine-Man wrote:
After the interview was published, I received pms stating that, "The blood of grandparents would have to be shed for the Autism Nazis to stop." This is terrorism, plain and simple.
That so? Send them to me. I have heard you give a lot of evidence about what is happening to you but your pms say that apparently the 'link is too complex' or somesuch hilarious excuse when you are pressed.

Tambourine-Man wrote:
A corrupt good apple is a well-intentioned person led astray.
No, that's still a bad apple.

Tambourine-Man wrote:
Gedrene, please don't break down every sentence of my posts and take them at face value. When you do this, you miss the overall point
Tambourine-Man, don't criticize my inductive reasoning and reductionism by trying to somehow suggest that I look at all of the comments made in some sort of barrier without referencing any other part of the conversation. It sounds like you are afraid of criticism really if you cannot take this most basic of analytical methods.

Analysis is based on analysing points that come together in to a whole afterwards. So do my posts. Don't make some blind assumption, and more over don't presume that you can make some false analogy between not looking at the big picture and breaking down your points.

Tambourine-Man wrote:
Collectively, the sentences in that post were meant to suggest that it is silly to assume every individual member of Autism Speaks is evil. Separately, those sentences will not make much sense.
Not true. What you were doing is word play. You were trying to fracture criticism of the organisation by not dealing with it as a hole, an argument that should invite much suspicion as the fact is that the organisation acts as a whole in its actions.

Tambourine-Man wrote:
Also, please don't assume everything I say is directed at you.

HAHAHA!
Gedrene wrote:
That's an absolutely disgusting suggestion, saying that our well-intentioned scepticism may somehow amount to Terrorism in some fashion.

Our doesn't mean my. I certainly was not just refering to myself, yet given previous comments made by yourself in the text the fact is that you were

Tambourine-Man wrote:
Now is the time to get involved and keep pushing for change. Be an activist, not a terrorist.
And it is by this quote that you suggest that people who do not tow the line of Autism Speaks are terrorists. So much for being a sceptic.

"It's a common trait among autistic people: they see the parts instead of the whole. It's a problem in some settings, but a terrific attribute if you're looking for... deep space anomalies (as an astronomer), unique cells (as a lab technician), differences among species (as a biological researcher), particular qualities of objects (as a gemologist, antiques appraiser, or art historian).
Typical people automatically notice and focus on what's important or relevant. But because people with autism focus on details instead, they can't recall or respond to what most people think is important." - From "Autistic Traits"

Allow me to demonstrate...

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 6:02 pm

Gedrene said:

Tambourine-Man says:

Gedrene thought about murdering his autistic child! It says so right there! Gedrene, you are awful!
--

Gedrene said:

2) It was the vaccines

Tambourine-Man says:

Wait, you think vaccines caused autism? Why would you say that Gedrene?! Vaccines don't cause autism! You're a fool!

Everyone, Gedrene thinks autism is a disease caused by vaccines! He said it! Just look!

--

See what I did here? I took an isolated sentence from your entire post and interpreted it literally. Then I posted the sentence, all by itself, and quoted you as saying it.

Obviously, you must think vaccines caused autism, or you wouldn't have said it! Of course, I know this isn't true.

When you break off one sentence and interpret it literally, you take it out of context.

Do I think skeptical people are terrorists? When did I say this?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 6:14 pm

Tambourine-Man wrote:
Gedrene said:

Tambourine-Man says:

Gedrene thought about murdering his autistic child! It says so right there! Gedren, you are awful!

Gedrene said:

2) It was the vaccines

Tambourine-Man says:

Wait, you think vaccines caused autism? Why would you say that Gedrene?! Vaccines don't cause autism! You're a fool!

See what I did here? I took an isolated sentence from your entire post and interpreted it literally. So now I think you said that vaccines caused autism.

Everyone, Gedrene thinks autism is a disease caused by vaccines! He said it! Just look!

When you break off one sentence and interpret it literally, you take it out of context.
i guess you are more autism speaks than i thought.more chummy with them than i would be.however i find i dislike them for different reasons than most people here do.however i do respect you opinion though

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 6:20 pm

Gedrene, please explain to me what these three quotes mean...

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"No one is all good or all bad - everyone has their reasons."

"He had never been so angry... or so happy. He felt so many emotions at once."

Last edited by Tambourine-Man on 10 Nov 2011, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 6:26 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Tambourine-Man wrote:
Gedrene said:

Tambourine-Man says:

Gedrene thought about murdering his autistic child! It says so right there! Gedren, you are awful!

Gedrene said:

2) It was the vaccines

Tambourine-Man says:

See what I did here? I took an isolated sentence from your entire post and interpreted it literally. So now I think you said that vaccines caused autism.

i guess you are more autism speaks than i thought.more chummy with them than i would be.however i find i dislike them for different reasons than most people here do.however i do respect you opinion though

I'm not chummy with autism speaks. I am chummy with Peter and Marc.

I asked Marc if vaccines caused autism. He laughed and said, "Does anyone still believe that?"

But doesn't Autism Speaks claim vaccines caused Autism? Isn't Marc Autism Speaks?

Peter loves his eighteen year old autistic son and is very proud of him. He pushed Autism Speaks to get involved in Advancing Futures for Autustic Adults because he loves his son and wants him, and those like him to have the best future possible.

But doesn't Autism Speaks contemplate murdering their children? Doesn't Autism Speaks want to wipe out all autistics? Isn't Peter Bell Autism Speaks?

Isn't Autism Speaks an "it?" One entity with one set of feelings and beliefs? Tambourine-Man doesn't hate Autism Speaks, so he must be "putting them on a pedestal."

Can't you guys see that it is not that simple?

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 6:33 pm

Tambourine-Man wrote:
Gedrene said:
Tambourine-Man says:
Gedrene thought about murdering his autistic child! It says so right there! Gedrene, you are awful!
--
Gedrene said:
2) It was the vaccines
Tambourine-Man says:
--
So the facade cracks and we have mad accusations. Allow me to dispel the obvious psychopathic assertions on display.
Let us for one moment take the fact that I have never ever looked at a statement on its own like how you are demonstrating here and how you insist that I do in the below quote. You have insisted that all I ever do is try and selectively quote. I would never do something so puerile as to take one sentence and to not refer to its intent or otherwise and most certainly wouldn't try to cut off any prelude to it either. You take me for a child, sir.
If you do not like deductive reasoning and close analysis of the subject matter just because I look at things in turn with extreme scrutiny I think you should quickly depart from this website, sir, because it is the foundation of any good argument to make sure one is accurate. Your insinuation was that by being opposed to autism speaks even on grounds of justified distrust you feel you had the right to call them a terrorist. You said be an activist, not a terrorist, whilst saying before hand that people should work with autism speaks, not against it. That instantly suggests opposition can be equated or even suggested to be like terrorism.

Tambourine-Man wrote:
See what I did here? I took an isolated sentence from your entire post and interpreted it literally. Then I posted the sentence, all by itself, and quoted you as saying it.
Obviously, you must think vaccines caused autism, or you wouldn't have said it! Of course, I know this isn't true.

Break off one sentence and interpret literally indeed! Hahaha!

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 6:37 pm

Tambourine-Man wrote:
Isn't Autism Speaks an "it?" One entity with one set of feelings and beliefs? Tambourine-Man doesn't hate Autism Speaks, so he must be "putting them on a pedestal."

Okay that is an outright slanderous accusation. Whether you like or dislike autism speaks hasn't got anything to do with the fact that you have been bigging up Autism Speaks constantly. This is utter contrivance. So much for not aiming any of this from me when all you do is warp my statements.

Tambourine-Man wrote:
Can't you guys see that it is not that simple?

It isn't. That's exactly the point. We aren't that stupid. We know there are other injustices out there. We aren't people who think the world centres on what we know.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 6:38 pm

i dont believe autism speaks was ever in favor of wiping out autistics.parent just had misguided idea' about helpng there children.yes they are very patronizing and alienating but they were just being over protective parents.i never bought the whole autism speaks and murder/nazi bit anyway.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 6:43 pm

Tambourine-Man wrote:

Please explain to me what the quotes mean. Don't argue as to whether they are right or wrong. Just explain to me what they mean.

Also, explain to me what this one means...

"He was so angry with her that we wanted to kill her,yet he loved her more than life itself and would never intentionally hurt her."

Last edited by Tambourine-Man on 10 Nov 2011, 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 6:48 pm

Gedrene said:

Your insinuation was that by being opposed to autism speaks even on grounds of justified distrust you feel you had the right to call them a terrorist. You said be an activist, not a terrorist, whilst saying before hand that people should work with autism speaks, not against it. That instantly suggests opposition can be equated or even suggested to be like terrorism.

Yet Tambourine-Man already said, a whole page ago:

I'm not suggesting that you are a terrorist by any means. Not at all. Please do not think that comment was directed at your skepticism. I'm a skeptic myself.

However, there are, indeed, many extremists of the online terrorist variety, who do everything they can to incite riots and flame wars without achieving anything productive. After the interview was published, I received pms stating that, "The blood of grandparents would have to be shed for the Autism Nazis to stop." This is terrorism, plain and simple.

---

Where do I EVER say that skepticism and opposition to Autism Speaks is a form of terrorism? I did say that I, myself am a skeptic. I'm am skeptical that Autism Speaks is all good. I'm also skeptical that they are all bad. Am I calling myself a terrorist?

I am opposed to their ridiculously high salaries. Am I calling myself a terrorist?

Are we going to go round in circles about this?

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 7:31 pm

Gedrene wrote:
Tambourine-Man wrote:
Gedrene said:
Tambourine-Man says:
--
Gedrene said:
2) It was the vaccines
Tambourine-Man says:
--
So the facade cracks and we have mad accusations. Allow me to dispel the obvious psychopathic assertions on display.
Let us for one moment take the fact that I have never ever looked at a statement on its own like how you are demonstrating here and how you insist that I do in the below quote. You have insisted that all I ever do is try and selectively quote. I would never do something so puerile as to take one sentence and to not refer to its intent or otherwise and most certainly wouldn't try to cut off any prelude to it either. You take me for a child, sir.
If you do not like deductive reasoning and close analysis of the subject matter just because I look at things in turn with extreme scrutiny I think you should quickly depart from this website, sir, because it is the foundation of any good argument to make sure one is accurate. Your insinuation was that by being opposed to autism speaks even on grounds of justified distrust you feel you had the right to call them a terrorist. You said be an activist, not a terrorist, whilst saying before hand that people should work with autism speaks, not against it. That instantly suggests opposition can be equated or even suggested to be like terrorism.

Tambourine-Man wrote:

Break off one sentence and interpret literally indeed! Hahaha!

You can break off one sentence in order to take it out of context, or you can do what you have done here. You split my quote into two pieces, thereby losing the original context and missing the overall message.

Or you can do it a sentence at a time, analyzing a individual part, failing to find meaning, and applying your own assumptions...

Tambourine-Man Wrote:
Be an activist, not a terrorist.

Gedrene Wrote:
That's an absolutely disgusting suggestion, saying that our well-intentioned scepticism may somehow amount to Terrorism in some fashion.

---

Case in point. Did I suggest this, or did you infer it? Where did I say that skepticism amounts to terrorism?

Last edited by Tambourine-Man on 10 Nov 2011, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 7:32 pm

NT thinking at it's worst.

As someone who spent a lifetime repairing machines, I have seen the differance. The NT view is maybe the outside. My computer, car, is not working.

Questions about what is not working are considered insulting, Questions about what they did just before it quit working are considered prying.

Systems are not just a box, it is an interlocking system of functions, each studied as a part of something.

On a car, the problem could be fuel, electric, or computer. At hundreds of dollars each troubleshooting becomes an art, even among mechanics.

Understanding parts, their function, how they work together, is what makes whole systems run.

At eighteen I was hired to keep a room full of IBM punchcard machines running, because I could see the part of the system that was not functioning, that stopped the whole system from preforming, and left five workers standing around. My education credits that got me the job, best motorcycle mechanic around. I also did Italian sports cars.

Parts make a chain of function through sub systems, which are obvious to me. Subsystems interact, Fuel, Spark, Timing, and all have to be in proper relationship to function. Function varies, what we call Performance, is getting the highest function from the whole system.

For this I was very well paid. Customers were mostly those perfect creations that only see what most people think is important. Since I had grease on my hands they considered me an inferior.

They ran something into the ground, then wanted a simple cheap quick fix. I became busy, come back in a week, then I will clean the engine and change the oil twice, then work on it. It worked, I got rid of most. They would not pay to clean an engine inside and out.

Those who agreed were told we can do that now. At mechanic rates, shop rate, $30 in cleaning was worth $50 in mechanic time.

The deal was I will only repair as I do, after cleaning I can see oil leaks, so new gaskets as needed. It was a full inspection, top and bottom, set valve lash, clean oil pan, and then the outside parts, Fuel, Electric.

Non functioning parts were replaced, partly functioning parts were replaced, and some just because they were old. Hoses, ignition wires, distributor caps. I fixed five out of one and a half things wrong.

The result was performance like new. I was a bit more expensive, but they got a light rebuild for the cost of a repair. I hardly ever saw them again, once a year. Some came back for brakes, I sent them to a brake shop.

They did send me customers that wanted the same.

The only people who were really interested were Surgeons, they not only wanted the deal, they would come clean parts to learn how systems function. Other mechanics reported the same, these guys could have been mechanics, they had the mind for it.

Almost all were "Normal People," They could see there was something under the hood. They got the important part, there was something there.

How all of that worked was beneath them. They had a real job, where they stayed clean.

Mechanics have a DSM of customers, we class them, laugh about them while drinking beer after work. We judge them compared to our superior knowledge. There are very few we see as fully functioning humans.

You need a clutch plate, the flywheel resurfaced, and a throwout bearing. "No I don't, just replace the clutch plate." OK, pull the driveshaft, transmission, bell housing, replace the clutch plate, $350.

A month later, the throwout bearing went, $330.

Six months later, the clutch plate went, $360 with a resurfaced flywheel.

I love Normal People.

To quote B.T. Barnum, "There is a Neurotypical born every second."

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 7:35 pm

Tambourine-Man wrote:
Tambourine-Man wrote:

Please explain to me what the quotes mean. Don't argue as to whether they are right or wrong. Just explain to me what they mean.

Also, explain to me what this one means...

"He was so angry with her that we wanted to kill her,yet he loved her more than life itself and would never intentionally hurt her."

Gedrene, I'm very interested in seeing your response to this.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 9:24 pm

I thought you wanted to discuss Autism Speaks?

What are your qualifications for playing Psycholigist?

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2011, 9:33 pm

Inventor wrote:
I thought you wanted to discuss Autism Speaks?

What are your qualifications for playing Psycholigist?

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

I'm getting to that.