Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should they or not keep seperate lables for AS and autism?
yes 64%  64%  [ 14 ]
no 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 22

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 3:09 am

aghogday wrote:
Poet_Morpheus wrote:
ok, um what is your moral boundaries people? where would you say the the beginning of life starts, or what is the most lethal way you would kill a person?

i'm running outta questions. gonna have to close this topc soon unless someone wants to keep it up.

My opinion is the beginning of life is at the beginning of life, and since I have no desire to kill anyone, the second question doesn't apply to me.

Sounded like an abortion question at first, but I'm not quite sure why you would be interested in the most lethal way someone one would want to kill a person, since it's not something legal to do.

Regardless if one thinks it is is moral or not, you do it and get a hefty penalty from the criminal system. Not real healthy to think about stuff like that, and certainly not an appropriate topic on a public forum. Government authorities take note of that type of conversation, if they see it as a potential concern.

Well the government authorities should be happy to know that people like me don't care what they think of my conversations anymore........if they don't like it, well they have the technology to track me down and come talk to me about it right?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 4:09 am

im not realy sure what that last post was suposed to mean.im gonna assume it was about abortion.this forum in general all weekend has been more negative then ive seen it in while.lets get back to resposable posting and more wonton negativity,which im sick of.i wiil be unavailable all day today so dont disapoint me

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Nov 2011, 9:45 am

Poet_Morpheus wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
I think you'll find that anbuend herself made the video. You'll see that it consists of fixed-location or hand-held, first-person shots only which were then edited together - video editing and subtitling software for home computers has been around for some time now.
Also, no-one is translating: she is using a text-to-speech unit and is speaking for herself.
My point exacltly, the person being filmed didn't make the video. I didn't say who the filmer was but I should've mad that clear when I had posted earlier. The "kid" I was refering to was the person being filmed and he doesn't have the capability to try and film the video.
Sorry, you appear to have missed my point - that is anbuend and she quite evidently does have the capability to make a video.
I referenced the fixed locations and hand-held first-person camera work to show how no further help would be required. The camera was either placed on some static location (tripod, bookshelf, table etc.) and set to record whatever passed before it, or it was held by anbuend to record what she saw from her viewpoint.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Nov 2011, 9:47 am

Poet_Morpheus wrote:
ok, um what is your moral boundaries people? where would you say the the beginning of life starts, or what is the most lethal way you would kill a person?
That's just bizarre and TBH, it doesn't even deserve a response.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 10:24 am

aghogday wrote:
My opinion is the beginning of life is at the beginning of life, and since I have no desire to kill anyone, the second question doesn't apply to me.

Your answer is a tautology! Thankyou, you have managed to provide no answer!

Poet_Morpheus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

cornflake and ahogday:
you claim that she is filming, well I seen movement of the camera while she is not even near the camera, 7:48-&:50. And the camera is fading so you can't tell if she is turning the camera off or what.

aghogday:
My opinion is the beginning of life is at the beginning of life
-----------
As in, sperm, fetus, first breath, that kind of thing.

verrmontsavant:
It is an abortion question. The question is basically where is your stoping point for murder or however you want to see abortion, letal injection, or the thing they do to coma patients to kill them.

Sweetleaf:
Well the government authorities should be happy to know that people like me don't care what they think of my conversations anymore........if they don't like it, well they have the technology to track me down and come talk to me about it right?
-----
yea and they have better things to do than watch a bunch of kids-adults or whatever ages are on this site.

Gedene:
--------
don't worry about it, hog and corn are both failed trolls.

Corn as soon as hog provides an answer to the abortion question with a legit response and stops trying to avoid it you can lock the thread.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 3:45 pm

Poet_Morpheus wrote:
cornflake and ahogday:
you claim that she is filming, well I seen movement of the camera while she is not even near the camera, 7:48-&:50. And the camera is fading so you can't tell if she is turning the camera off or what.

aghogday:
My opinion is the beginning of life is at the beginning of life
-----------
As in, sperm, fetus, first breath, that kind of thing.

verrmontsavant:
It is an abortion question. The question is basically where is your stoping point for murder or however you want to see abortion, letal injection, or the thing they do to coma patients to kill them.

Sweetleaf:
-----
yea and they have better things to do than watch a bunch of kids-adults or whatever ages are on this site.

Gedene:
--------
don't worry about it, hog and corn are both failed trolls.

Corn as soon as hog provides an answer to the abortion question with a legit response and stops trying to avoid it you can lock the thread.

Didn't think you would really be interested in the details of when I think the beginning of life is, but here it is.

There are humans, they have ancestors, their ancestors have ancestors, there is a small rodent like mammal that existed along with the dinosaurs about 75 million years ago that is both the ancestor of all human beings and the ancestors of the mice that live today.

That rodent like creature had ancestors as well that connect back to the physical properties that came together to create the first sign of animate life on earth. However without those physical properties life could not have started so the origin of life goes beyond those physical properties to the beginning of all that is, which no one has a definitive handle on.

That's why I stated the beginning of life is the beginning of life; I doubt my opinion is the mainstream one, but it is my opinion.

For humans as individuals if any of the links to their existence had been broken from the time the sperm fertilized the egg that led to the knowledge of their existence or before that point in time to all of the other required continuum of elements, events, and actions required for their existence starting with the orgin of life, it would mean their non-existence.

Therefore the entire continuum is equally important to their existence and life and if at any point that continuum was broken it would mean non-existence and the abscence of life for that individual.

And beyond that everything we see in life has the same origin, so all of life is part of that same origin of life, along with everything else we call reality.

Abortion is part of the current reality of life. Considering that, and in respect for all life that in my understanding I am connected to from what I consider the origin of life, as provided above, I would hope the method used would be the one that caused the least amount of discomfort for that part of life that is part of the same continuum of life that I am part of.

The current legal restrictions on abortion take this into consideration. And the methods used determined by medical scientists to terminate a pregnancy take this into consideration as well. I don't consider myself to have a better answer than the ones those scientists have provided to terminate the pregnancy.

The death penalty is a reality as well as a coma for human beings; the legal system and medical field determine the appropriate restrictions and methods used, I do not consider myself to have better alternatives for the current methods used, since I am not a medical authority on what are the most humane ways to deal with these realities of life.

Regarding the Video on You Tube, perhaps Wiki can explain it better than I can:

The links in the Wiki article go directly to the same you tube video "In my Language" that you watched.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Baggs

Quote:
Amanda Baggs (born 1980 in California) is an autism rights activist. In January 2007 she published a video on YouTube entitled In My Language[1] describing her experiences as an autistic person, which became the subject of several articles on CNN.[2][3][4] She also guest-blogged about her video on Anderson Cooper's blog[5] and answered questions from the audience via email.[6]

About her video, Amanda Baggs writes:[5]

“ My viewpoint in the video is that of an autistic person. But the message is far broader than autistic people. It is about what kinds of communication and language and people we consider real and which ones we do not. It applies to people with severe cognitive or physical disabilities, autistic people, signing deaf people, the kid in school who finds she is not taken seriously as a student because she does not know a lot of English, and even the cat who gets treated like a living stuffed animal and not a creature with her own thoughts to communicate. It applies to anybody who gets written off because their communication is too unusual. ”

On CNN, Sanjay Gupta stated:[3]

“ It really started me wondering about autism. Amanda is obviously a smart woman who is fully aware of her diagnosis of low-functioning autism, and quite frankly mocks it. She told me that because she doesn't communicate with conventional spoken word, she is written off, discarded and thought of as mentally ret*d. Nothing could be further from the truth. As I sat with her in her apartment, I couldn't help but wonder how many more people like Amanda are out there, hidden, but reachable, if we just tried harder.

Poet_Morpheus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2011, 6:46 pm

Topic locked by creater. [Mod. edit: topics are only locked by Moderators]

edit: damn spacing messed up my graphic

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 6:04 am

:/

Cornflake is not a troll.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 6:17 am

Gedrene wrote:
:/

Cornflake is not a troll.
im not sure who gedrene is quoting or who originaly called cornflake a troll.however the mods here are very kind and laid back.can we get this topic on topic and end the negativity

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Nov 2011, 11:41 am

In my opinion, I would like to see the Asperger's label remain in the new DSM, but I can also see validity for the changes. I suppose I just like things the way they are. I didn't vote on the poll because it seems to imply that Asperger's and autism are different things??? Did I miss read that???

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 3:15 pm

@glider.the label doesnt mean much but lorna wing i believe wanted the change so people dx with aspergers wouldnt be denied services only available to people dx with the classic autistic disorder.most of these services are irelivent to most people with aspergers,but some people with aspergers do need them

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 8:54 pm

glider18 wrote:
In my opinion, I would like to see the Asperger's label remain in the new DSM, but I can also see validity for the changes. I suppose I just like things the way they are. I didn't vote on the poll because it seems to imply that Asperger's and autism are different things??? Did I miss read that???

It seems the Op had the opinion that the folks with autism who score lower than normal on IQ tests aren't really autistic. And somehow they mislead the portrayal of what autism is or isn't, and make things bad for those that are more fortunate in life.

I didn't answer the poll question either, for what appears to be a similiar reason that you didn't.

Poet_Morpheus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2011, 8:48 am

aghogday wrote:
glider18 wrote:

It seems the Op had the opinion that the folks with autism who score lower than normal on IQ tests aren't really autistic. And somehow they mislead the portrayal of what autism is or isn't, and make things bad for those that are more fortunate in life.

I didn't answer the poll question either, for what appears to be a similiar reason that you didn't.

Ok, the poll was meant to determine whether they should make AS a seperate label from classic autism. They would keep AS on the DSM for the people who need it, but make more strict criteria like the following off autism:

(copied from the DSM-IV)

(A) qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

1. marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
2. failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
3. a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people, (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
4. lack of social or emotional reciprocity ( note: in the description, it gives the following as examples: not actively participating in simple social play or games, preferring solitary activities, or involving others in activities only as tools or "mechanical" aids )

(C) restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least two of the following:

2. apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals

(II) Delays or abnormal functioning in at least one of the following areas, with onset prior to age 3 years:
(A) social interaction
(B) language as used in social communication
(C) symbolic or imaginative play

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 1:15 am

Poet_Morpheus wrote:
aghogday wrote:
glider18 wrote:

Ok, the poll was meant to determine whether they should make AS a seperate label from classic autism. They would keep AS on the DSM for the people who need it, but make more strict criteria like the following off autism:

(copied from the DSM-IV)

(A) qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

1. marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
2. failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
3. a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people, (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
4. lack of social or emotional reciprocity ( note: in the description, it gives the following as examples: not actively participating in simple social play or games, preferring solitary activities, or involving others in activities only as tools or "mechanical" aids )

(C) restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least two of the following:

2. apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals

(II) Delays or abnormal functioning in at least one of the following areas, with onset prior to age 3 years:
(A) social interaction
(B) language as used in social communication
(C) symbolic or imaginative play

Thanks for the clarification. To me there seems like pros and cons. Those who have support needs with Aspergers will probably benefit the most so I would have to go with the consolidation, in my opinion. If they were to keep Aspergers as a separate disorder, in the DSM from Autism Spectrum Disorder, I don't see a need to change the current criteria for Aspergers. At this point, I think the least likely of scenarios will be that the disorders will be separated in the future.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 10:25 am

aghogday wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. To me there seems like pros and cons. Those who have support needs with Aspergers will probably benefit the most so I would have to go with the consolidation, in my opinion. If they were to keep Aspergers as a separate disorder, in the DSM from Autism Spectrum Disorder, I don't see a need to change the current criteria for Aspergers. At this point, I think the least likely of scenarios will be that the disorders will be separated in the future.

Yet right now the push is to make some freakish amalgalm of the whole thing by calling it autism spectrum disorders, which given the evidence is completely absurd, an overgeneralization.