Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Dec 2012, 6:09 am

I felt embarrassed about my OCD & still feel that way. My parents trying to be helpful & suggesting other ways I can do things or just critiquing how I'm doing something(like making comments about how it's taking me a long time or that I'm doing it the hard complicated way or something) upsets me & causes me to slow down & make more mistakes. As a result I put chores off to do latter when I can to do them in private. I think it would of been better if my parents would of ignored all my OCD stuff & let me do things my own way without saying anything at all about it or watching me ever.

I forgot to mention in my other post that my girlfriend has OCD & I suggested that she start taking the herbal supplement N-Acetylcysteine aka N-acetylcysteine or N-acetyl-L-cysteine commonly abbreviated & called NAC. I read on WIKI that "Much current research is devoted to the therapeutic potential of the agents that affect the release of the neurotransmitter glutamate or the binding to its receptors. These include riluzole, memantine, gabapentin, N-Acetylcysteine, and lamotrigine." I looked them all up because Gabapentin/Neurontin is helping mine a lot & I suggested NAC to her because it's the only supplement on this list; she's been very scared to try medication partly because of her OCD issues. NAC is helping her OCD abit.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AaaaCccc
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Dec 2012, 12:35 pm

idratherbeatree wrote:
I have Morbid Obsessions. If I see myself as having power over something, (A pet for example) I can't stop picturing myself killing or injuring it. If I see anything that could possibly be a threat, I can't stop picturing it killing me somehow. If I try not to think about how it could kill me, I see it or myself killing another... and so it continues.

It's extremely distressing. And very difficult to talk about.

So how do you cope with that? Is anyone helping you?

And to the others thanks for your replies. I am reading. I am totally guilty of trying to fix my kid too much. Ouch.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2012, 3:04 pm

AaaaCccc wrote:
idratherbeatree wrote:
I have Morbid Obsessions. If I see myself as having power over something, (A pet for example) I can't stop picturing myself killing or injuring it. If I see anything that could possibly be a threat, I can't stop picturing it killing me somehow. If I try not to think about how it could kill me, I see it or myself killing another... and so it continues.

It's extremely distressing. And very difficult to talk about.

So how do you cope with that? Is anyone helping you?

And to the others thanks for your replies. I am reading. I am totally guilty of trying to fix my kid too much. Ouch.

Humour, when that fails, I don't deal with it well at all. I've been trying to talk to my therapist about it, but it's really awkward when the conversation tends to go badly. I suppose he's uncomfortable talking about it.

Really it's the doubts that get to me. If I think even for a moment that I'm really thinking about killing or hurting something, or that something is going to hurt me, the obsessions gets complete control, and I panic. The nagging questions of "What if I'm really just a violent person?" becomes all consuming.