LGBT People, Curious, Tourists, Gawkers, Trolls and Haters

Page 4 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 5:31 pm

Volodja wrote:
Why would there need to be an LGBT mod to moderate the LGBT forum? That makes no sense. A non-LGBT person is just as qualified

Yes, and I think the underlying issue there would have more to do with so-called "homophobics" rather than whether a mod was actually LGBT.

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 5:32 pm

A "report post to moderator" button could always be added, although on a site as big as this it could be over-used

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2011, 5:36 pm

Volodja wrote:
A "report post to moderator" button could always be added, although on a site as big as this it could be over-used

Just send a PM with a link to the respective situation or post in the Moderator Attention thread. If we're online we treat these things as priorities.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 6:31 am

@BrendaEM:

Here is my own comprehension of the essence of some recent rulings and notes you might or might not have noticed ...

The one who even merely feels in any way offended now is the offended party
here on WP as long as any one or more mods might happen to agree.

... and since you presently have WP mods conscientiously watching here in LGBT, I believe you now have what we had been talking about even though posts are not presently screened before being visible by all.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:06 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:
The moderation team has added some new language to the rules to prevent people attacking homosexuality in and of itself. To be really honest, I am not understanding what exactly you are looking for, except that you think that this forum should only be moderated by an LGBT, which is not an option at present.

I disagree with you here. There are any number of GLBT members of the site, and I suspect that a call for confidential nominations would yield a number of prospective people who would be more than capable. You don't have to ask "who wants the job?" You can ask, instead, "Who do you think could do the job?" and restrict replies to PMs so that none but the inner circle know the list.

Quote:
We do not moderate individual forums, all moderators are responsible for all forums. We don't ban the male mods from moderating the women's discussion, etc. This is partially due to the level of manpower and the firm desire to prevent anyone from moderating who is asking to be made a moderator. This can lead to a conflict of interest and abuse of power.

I think this is a mistake. I think that, at a minimum, the women's, LGBT and Teen forums should be moderated from within.

As for the level of (ahem) manpower, this is a circumstance entirely of Alex's own devising. I refuse to believe that amidst a population of 46,132 members, a team of 10 qualified, capable and willing people could not be found.

Alex may well have run into trouble with people who have sought the position before, but I do think that the first qualification of a moderator is the willingness to do the job. And I'm not sure that the present system is demonstrating sterling results.

Quote:
If you would like to work with me to better understand your desires and fears please feel free to PM me. Sallamandrina and I both intend to keep a close eye in here and short of somehow "switching teams" the best we can do is try and work closely with the members of this forum to ensure we are meeting their needs and they feel comfortable and secure in their corner on WrongPlanet. Please help us provide that.

I'm sorry, but no matter how good your intentions, your best is simply not good enough. You will always represent the imposition of authority from outside the group.

More importantly, there will be no one representing our interests when moderators and admin talk about issues that affect us.

I respect the need for moderator-only space. But when that space exists, it must ensure that it has representative voices. You have talked among yourselves in your closed circle about new rules for posting relating to homophobic remarks. Was there a single queer person involved in that conversation?

If Alex is too gun-shy to expand beyond his closed circle of mods, then perhaps another vehicle is in order. Perhaps some form of representative group of users who can be used as a sounding board for ideas, to whom mods and admin can refer questions. That way the power doesn't move into irresponsible hands, but there continues to be a vehicle for discussion that includes the diversity of voices.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:19 pm

BrendaEM wrote:
Here is what I am proposing (V3)

LGBT Subforum Etiquette

Making hateful and derogatory comments about groups of people you are not a member of is ban-worthy, and your post might be deleted as not to offend others.

Using derogatory or slanderous terms for others outside your group is not allowed.

These two statements appear redundant to me. I would be inclined to merge the issues of comments and terms, and drop the reference to penalties. Mod/Admin power to deal with breaches is a separate issue.

I would not use the word, "slanderous." Slander is defined at Common Law, and by statute in many jurisdictions, and you can get caught up in a significant question about whether or not a term is slanderous if, for example, the poster has an honest belief in the truth of the descriptor. (Which is a complete defence to slander at Common Law, but not under many statutory schemes.)

Quote:
Making threats toward others because of their sexual preference or gender role or status is likely illegal.

I advise strongly against this language. WP is not in any sort of position to make statements about the legality of any posting, and it invites potential liability if it posts a warning here on one subject while remaining silent on another. It's not that this is a bad idea from an etiquette point of view, but rather that is creates legal risk for Alex.

On a personal level, I dislike the term "sexual preference." It connotes that sexual orientation involves choice.

Quote:
The primary purpose of LGBT subforum is that people will help one another, not find dates with one another. Dating needs would be better served by such as sites as www.AspieAffection.com and www.GayAspie.com.

I generally advise against any endorsement of other sites. While these two sites may be perfectly fine today, Alex cannot control what occurs there in future, and he could face liability if either of these sites winds up connected to improper activity. In addition, it negates the possibility that other perfectly good websites might exist. I would leave it at, "Dating needs are better met through other sites."

Quote:
Asking questions to better understand others is a good means to a better understanding. If you are mature enough to ask a question, please be mature enough to accept the answer. If you don't want to know something, don't ask about it.

I like this language. I wonder if there's an opportunity to ask people to keep their thread titles relevant, so that people can make choices about which threads they read.

Quote:
Making broad generalizations about groups of people you are not a member of or their actions of is frowned upon; this is prejudice. One person is not all.

This appears to be an afterthought, where it might be better positioned with the other statements about hateful and derogatory comments and derogatory and slanderous terms.

Quote:
Please try to use appropriate language.

What do all of these abbreviations and terms mean?

To all: Never hesitate in sending a PM to a moderator if one of us might happen to miss something out of order here.

Any comment I would have on the definitions is stylistic or grammatical. I don't think they are significant enough to warrant discussion.

Nice work.

AlSwearengen
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2011, 6:30 am

Well said.

However I must say that I do think hat it matters not a damn whether the person moderating is LGBT. That ought no be a pre-requisite any more than the sex or race or a mod. Should never even be a consideration for the position.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 4:02 pm

That is certainly a valid perspective, and one in which you are not alone.

But I suggest that those of you who don't care can be well served by an LGBT member, whereas those of us who are passionate about this issue feel ill-served with the present structure. It seems to me that our position offers the greatest satisfaction for all, provided that it can meet with Alex's concerns.

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 4:04 pm

visagrunt wrote:
whereas those of us who are passionate about this issue feel ill-served with the present structure.

You can't really talk for a whole group of people

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 4:12 pm

Volodja wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
whereas those of us who are passionate about this issue feel ill-served with the present structure.

You can't really talk for a whole group of people

As you might easily imagine, the variety of people here on WP is really quite broad ... so it would really be best to first ask questions to be sure of a fellow member's actual intent before even risking the sound of an accusation such as your own statement above might/could/would be taken.

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 4:45 pm

Huh?

He's sayingg that those of us who feel passionate about this are [irrelevant]

Therefore he IS speaking for all of those people

How can there be any misunderstanding there? :?:

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 5:31 pm

Volodja wrote:
Huh?

Have you asked to be sure of his intent there, or are you simply assuming you are absolutely correct? You might be quite right, of course -- I do not know -- but then here on WP we at least try to be sure everyone has clearly understood each other before proceeding forward ... and even then, the other person would also need to become involved in any discussion about what s/he had either actually meant to say or had possibly only inadvertently seemed to say.

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 6:42 pm

How else can what he said be interpreted?

He actually stated that "those of us who are passionate about it" feel ill-served

I don't really understand how that cannot be taken that way

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 7:31 pm

Volodja wrote:
How else can what he said be interpreted?

He actually stated that "those of us who are passionate about it" feel ill-served

I don't really understand how that cannot be taken that way

I would hate for either of us to be wrong. Maybe he will see these posts and come elaborate a bit. I do not know.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 1:15 pm

Volodja wrote:
Huh?

Therefore he IS speaking for all of those people

How can there be any misunderstanding there? :?:

Well, you have demonstrated misunderstanding, so I suppose that I was not sufficiently clear. I speak for no one but myself, and no one is irrelevant. Period.

I will, however, draw broad generalizations from the posts that have already been made, and look for the pattern underlying them to see if a solution can present itself.

I appears to me that those members who do not feel strongly one way or the other about having a member of the LGBT communities moderate this forum will not be displeased if Alex was to find such a person to moderate it. Their argument seems to be that it is unnecessary, but not that it is undesirable.

On the other hand, there are those (and I am clearly among their number) who do feel strongly that there should be a member of the LGBT communities moderating this forum. These people will continue to be displeased (to some degree) unless Alex can find such a person to moderate it.

So, if Alex was to find a member of the LGBT communities to moderate here, who would be upset by that? Is there anyone suggesting that a queer person cannot be an effective moderator here? I haven't hear that argument made. If there is such an argumement, then by all means let's hear it.

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 3:52 pm

Of course there's no reason why a GLBT member would make a bad moderator. You can't assume they'd make a BETTER one though, just because they're gay/trans/whatever. I don't think there should be moderators for specific forums only, including the Women's forum. If a mod is a mod, they should moderate all the boards imo