Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 5:39 pm

Rob Halford

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2012, 10:37 pm

KodyPhoenix72 wrote:
Chris Colfer and the whole of Glee in general.

The whole of Glee is LGBT?

Smartgirl56
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2012, 11:05 pm

Tammy Baldwin!
Ellen
Anderson Cooper
Rachael Maddow

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 10:23 pm

Robert Long ( a gay Dutch entertainer, who when I was 17 was the freedom fighter fo Gay identiy). passed away a few years ago.
Tom Robinson of the band Tom Robinson band. Gay activist with his New Wave band (Sing if you are glad to be gay, beacem nearly a football anthem!).
Harvey Milk
Quentin Crisp of all!
I feel Bill Maher has some gay demeanour...or is it just me thinking that.
The Greeks and Romans.

EtherealBallet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2012, 12:23 am

I should look into the subject of LGBT people in history. I didn't find any in medieval history except some obscure guys who got executed for it.

Joan of Arc (Jehanne La Pucelle aka the lady talking in my signature :lol: ) seemed asexual though. Then again it is unknown and many opinions about her sexuality exist (If you wish I will list all that I know of and explain). It doesn't matter much to me what it was though it could truly be rather empowering to LGBT people I suppose(she rather a hero). Truly she did seem to defy gender roles (mens clothing and her hair that she saw nothing wrong with (according to what I read she was rather stylish :D ), her lifestyle after leaving, lines around the likes of "Other women can do it" in regards to a woman's supposed role and "That there seemed no difference between men's and women's clothing) which is rather empowering in itself. Truly for this I can see LGBT Christans (and others but this groups I think might as well) using her as a role model even though her sexuality is unknown (and did not matter much anyways for she was sworn a virgin (La Pucelle = The Maid) and would not have comprimised it in anyway)

Athena I do not believe exists but I like her and I think she was asexual as she never showed any attraction as far I know from the myths. Then again all of the poems I read was a little bit of Odessey.

Well those to are not LGBT but relate to such.

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 12:35 am

Jane Addams. She was an amazing and effective woman (Hull House and founding member of the ACLU) and by most accounts was a lesbian.

Eleanor Roosevelt: this is founded on gossip but I totally hope it's true because FDR was reportedly a bit of a dog.

JHKyle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Dec 2012, 8:41 am

Stephin Merritt: Gay AND an aspie!

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 9:02 am

Rumours have it that Joan of Arc was a transgender, or dyke, yes.

EtherealBallet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2012, 10:41 am

Loborojo wrote:
Both are quite plausable (though if she was transgender I don't understand why she called herself The Maid and as a woman and wished to be buried in women's clothing. But she said that the orders for men's clothes came from God so that makes sense.) For if she was a lesbian, she may have very well been. That I think comes from stuff like her sleeping in the same bed as other women (Sometimes with men but it seemed she may have felt safer in a bed with another woman) and a line somewhat like this "She liked to sleep with young women more than older women." (Not exact but along those lines) Some have taken this to mean something sexual. I would say it could imply attraction at most. I would say that the one about her "sleeping" (sexual activity) with a lot of women is unlikely. It would have made her not a virgin, she had sworn to remain a virgin in soul and body. She thought she would reach heaven if she kept it. She did not know what would happen if she lost it but she did usually obey her voices (disobeyed when she jumped out of the tower and when she repented (she took that back soon after) she left a place she was told not to but she didn't disobey because she tried to stay but was too injured and was taken out. It was not by her own will) Though her being lesbian is as likely as anyother sexuality. Her sexuality is something obscure so it is quite an interesting subject. In all my reading I did not see any preference between them so all are quite plausable to me. Someone made started a rumor that she was lovers with the saints that came to her and kissed them. She did kiss and embrace them but it seems of reverence only. I don't think I believe that one. If I ever find the book I might type out what it said unless it is too offensive. (Medieval France I don't think had a good view of homosexuality)

EtherealBallet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Dec 2012, 11:27 am

EtherealBallet wrote:
I should look into the subject of LGBT people in history. I didn't find any in medieval history except some obscure guys who got executed for it. .
That is untrue. I just remember reading about women writing love songs for women. I forgot to say I was talking about Europe

Last edited by EtherealBallet on 24 Dec 2012, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 12:26 pm

Roin Hood was gay...after investigations of cenosred sonnets.
Shakespeare was...and even that was much hushed up..
and how come no one mentions Oscar Wilde here?

EtherealBallet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2013, 11:41 pm

Sappho; I have not read anything written by her. However, to be called the 10th Muse (by Plato?) she must be amazing. I am hoping to find a book with her works or I could just search the internet for them :wink:

Nancy Garden; I loved her book "Annie on my Mind"

Bieiris de Romans; I have read that her song "Na Maria" was for a female lover. I will soon open a topic for it.

nintendogurl1990
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2013, 2:05 pm

Lady Gaga and Ellen DeGeneres

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 8:38 pm

lxuser wrote:
Bradley E. Manning.

^This.

Oscar Wilde, too.

EtherealBallet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2013, 3:59 pm

EtherealBallet wrote:
Loborojo wrote:
Both are quite plausable (though if she was transgender I don't understand why she called herself The Maid and as a woman and wished to be buried in women's clothing. But she said that the orders for men's clothes came from God so that makes sense.) For if she was a lesbian, she may have very well been. That I think comes from stuff like her sleeping in the same bed as other women (Sometimes with men but it seemed she may have felt safer in a bed with another woman) and a line somewhat like this "She liked to sleep with young women more than older women." (Not exact but along those lines) Some have taken this to mean something sexual. I would say it could imply attraction at most. I would say that the one about her "sleeping" (sexual activity) with a lot of women is unlikely. It would have made her not a virgin, she had sworn to remain a virgin in soul and body. She thought she would reach heaven if she kept it. She did not know what would happen if she lost it but she did usually obey her voices (disobeyed when she jumped out of the tower and when she repented (she took that back soon after) she left a place she was told not to but she didn't disobey because she tried to stay but was too injured and was taken out. It was not by her own will) Though her being lesbian is as likely as anyother sexuality. Her sexuality is something obscure so it is quite an interesting subject. In all my reading I did not see any preference between them so all are quite plausable to me. Someone made started a rumor that she was lovers with the saints that came to her and kissed them. She did kiss and embrace them but it seems of reverence only. I don't think I believe that one. If I ever find the book I might type out what it said unless it is too offensive. (Medieval France I don't think had a good view of homosexuality)
Quite plausible is not the right wording. Unlikely but not impossible is much better. Because nothing is impossible with someone who did not say anything about it, but Jehanne, in records seemed very much a woman and very much not attracted to anyone in a romantic or sexual regard. When I said attraction I meant at most, but I think it meant that it felt more natural with a younger girl because she was young and would want to be in like company. The rumor is a rumor and I never stated elsewise.
Sor Juana de la Cruz wrote lovely poems some depicting love for a woman referred to as Phyllis "Though you are a woman far away, sex and distance do not matter" Friendship or romance I do not know but it is an interesting line. (I think it may be romantic for the line I posted. I do not know what else it would mean)