Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 1:30 am

I am not good at waiting.

Gray is not my color. In the case of Bob and Tammy Fae Baker, A Mainstream American lower Midwest Baptist, Luthern, Methodist, middle class blend, with waterslides, they were deposed for airconditioning the dog house. They had a mission, making that dog stay outside was just un Christian, and the $18,000 could have been put to better use. Like a bigger waterslide.

There were a lot of the best people involved until the paychecks stopped. It was based on donations, and when word got out that the dog was made to stay in the yard, donations stopped, and people took their children to the Jellystone Campground.

Sure, the waterslides are smaller, but they allow dogs.

Now running psychology tests here to prove we are defective, and hence should do as your NT betters say, I am not sure if you are lost in the forest, or lost in the trees, but you have lost.

Saying Bad Dog might work in your world, but wolves live in the forest.

You are still trying to pitch autism as exhibited in eight year olds. Sure they are bad dogs, an ugly duckling, that all ducks pick on till they grow up to become Swans.

So you have all your ducks in a line.

Having never studied adult outcomes you have no idea what we become in time. You just wanted to stomp on the nests.

So you come to our Preserve yelling duck slogans, not watching where you step, a townie in the wild lands.

A disturbance in the peace of the countryside attracts attention, what is it? It sounds like a moose with a broken leg. Its suffering replaces tranquility. A broad circle forms to restore tranquiity, end suffering, the circle closes, peace returns.

So someone recently told you you were autistic, gave you some pills for that, you spoke with the best of NT minds about how tragic it all is, and thumping the Sacred DSM charged into the homeland of old free range autistics, where children play, and people older than your grandparents sit and think.

We have our own religion thank you. We have heard of yours going back fifty years, but it never attracted us. Perhaps your talents would do better elsewhere, like Preaching to the Bears in Yellowstone.

Autism is not the excuse you seem to use it for, that is just you. It is a rare difference in thought and perception. Day to day life gets on well with the common thought, but there come times when something else is needed.

In lives long past we were there, hung around my neck a Swan carved in antler. We are like the other birds, we just continue growing long after they stop. We are the first to go north in the spring, and the last to return in the fall. Swan Song ends the year and brings the snow.

We are a people of another vision, not defective ducks.

As through all of time, the Great Mother has lead us to a place to live in peace. We are closer to the other animals, the land, plants, and the stars, we hear things you do not, for we listen.

Some sing songs of life, some their death song, ever drawing their end nearer.

Sing your own song, it is the only one you have.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 2:31 am

Some Swans can't honk and they will never fly. They might, if given the chance like to. Don't overlook this.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 3:50 am

I'm tired of putting on a brave face. I'm exhausted, hurt, angry, lonely, and so sad my bones ache.
I had a bad meltdown tonight. I just want to go home.

Zeraeph
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 5:42 am

Inventor wrote:

You are still trying to pitch autism as exhibited in eight year olds. Sure they are bad dogs, an ugly duckling, that all ducks pick on till they grow up to become Swans.

Having never studied adult outcomes you have no idea what we become in time. You just wanted to stomp on the nests.

So you come to our Preserve yelling duck slogans, not watching where you step, a townie in the wild lands.

A disturbance in the peace of the countryside attracts attention, what is it? It sounds like a moose with a broken leg. Its suffering replaces tranquility. A broad circle forms to restore tranquiity, end suffering, the circle closes, peace returns.

So someone recently told you you were autistic, gave you some pills for that, you spoke with the best of NT minds about how tragic it all is, and thumping the Sacred DSM charged into the homeland of old free range autistics, where children play, and people older than your grandparents sit and think.

We have our own religion thank you. We have heard of yours going back fifty years, but it never attracted us. Perhaps your talents would do better elsewhere, like Preaching to the Bears in Yellowstone.

Autism is not the excuse you seem to use it for, that is just you. It is a rare difference in thought and perception. Day to day life gets on well with the common thought, but there come times when something else is needed.

In lives long past we were there, hung around my neck a Swan carved in antler. We are like the other birds, we just continue growing long after they stop. We are the first to go north in the spring, and the last to return in the fall. Swan Song ends the year and brings the snow.

As through all of time, the Great Mother has lead us to a place to live in peace. We are closer to the other animals, the land, plants, and the stars, we hear things you do not, for we listen.

Inventor, I just had to drop back to tell you that this is one of the most extraordinary, thought provoking and beautiful things I have read in a very long time. It has so much meaning and truth on so many levels it was a joy to read.

Thank you.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 6:17 am

Tambourine-Man wrote:
I'm not suggesting that you are a terrorist by any means. Not at all. Please do not think that comment was directed at your skepticism. I'm a skeptic myself.

First: Just because said that you said something, doesn't make it so. :/
Second: I am not saying it was only aimed at me. I even already pointed that out.
Tambourine-Man wrote:
"It" isn't evil. "They" are a mixed bag. They do some wonderful things, and they've made some terrible mistakes.
Now is the time to get involved and keep pushing for change. Be an activist, not a terrorist.

You suggest that those who aren't in the organisation are essentially terrorists.
Tambourine-Man wrote:
You can say that you hate America because of the treatment of homosexuals, native Americans, and African Americans that was allowed and condoned. If America was an "it" you could easily assert that our country is terrible, evil and unjust. However, America is not an "it." America is a "they." America has changed because of the individual Americans within this country who fought for civil rights.
It is clear from this part of the text that you are talking to all autistics who have opposed autism speaks. Thus the attitude of who is a terrorist was based on whoever simply is sceptical the organisation.

So much for looking in the text in isolation.

Tambourine-Man wrote:
However, there are, indeed, many extremists of the online terrorist variety, who do everything they can to incite riots and flame wars without achieving anything productive. After the interview was published, I received pms stating that, "The blood of grandparents would have to be shed for the Autism Nazis to stop." This is terrorism, plain and simple.
Really? I don't think this has been happening to be honest and even more damningly why is it that you keep on trying to run over this supposed extremist ground all the time whilst exhorting people to change to your side? I have seen what such people have said, and to be honest I have only ever seen one person on here would would qualify for extreme (and maybe one extra for over the top).

The vast majority are sceptics and don't trust Autism Speaks. Yet you go on about your close links aith autism speaks all the time, constantly raising up any successes they make on high whilst seemingly having any opposition to any initiative that isn't taken by you for the change of autism speaks. I can't even independently verify whether your first supposed success about the word epidemic being changed is true, thus like any sceptic I wasn't bowled over.

I've received Pms from people who used to support you with negative revalations about you and none of them involve blood. In fact I have seen many PMs com from you where you are wildly accusing people on AFF of various things and when I ask for links you simply fob me off. I have known since the start that the subtle people are the most dangerous, and everywhere I look you are making a story that doesn't match up.

---
Tambourine-Man wrote:
Are we going to go round in circles about this?
Only as long as you want to. Given the muti-message spam up above you seem to be rabidly consumed by the idea of being a once-man circle.

cynara
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Nov 2011, 10:07 am

Inventor wrote:

Gray is not my color. In the case of Bob and Tammy Fae Baker, A Mainstream American lower Midwest Baptist, Luthern, Methodist, middle class blend, with waterslides, they were deposed for airconditioning the dog house. They had a mission, making that dog stay outside was just un Christian, and the $18,000 could have been put to better use. Like a bigger waterslide.

There were a lot of the best people involved until the paychecks stopped. It was based on donations, and when word got out that the dog was made to stay in the yard, donations stopped, and people took their children to the Jellystone Campground.

Now running psychology tests here to prove we are defective, and hence should do as your NT betters say, I am not sure if you are lost in the forest, or lost in the trees, but you have lost.

Wow.
Just, Wow.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 1:34 pm

cynara wrote:
Inventor wrote:

Wow.
Just, Wow.
I know, he's an allegorical poet.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

Inventor wrote:

Your song is an awe inspiring one that I always enjoy and admire, however you are 1 in 50,000 here that no one comes close to equaling, in anyway. There are likely many more like you, but none that I have seen that come here or for that matter, any other site that I have seen.

You represent what I suspect is the best of all possible outcomes for the gifts that have been bestowed upon you, but life is life, and as Nostromo suggested some ducks would love the opportunity to become swans and sing their potential best song of life.

The song of the ducks that need help is already well heard; perhaps a little more understanding and respect for that song is needed for some, but the awareness of what is here, where swans exist and they sing, are the voices that are rarely heard, that should be heard more often.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 5:26 pm

Loved Inventors writing, even if I didn't "get" all of it.

As for Autism Speaks, well, I have and may always have mixed feelings. I've seen the same things you all have, to make me against them. But, then, a distant friend seeks out support for her walk with them, because it is an organization she feels has "done so much" for her family. I do know she had a really rough road, and several misdiagnosis, before her son was labeled "autistic." Not Aspergers and high functioning, like my son, but autistic with lower than average IQ, and challenges few of us really relate to. I do know things are miles improved the last few years, but haven't been involved in the details. I have yet to ask her for details on why she feels Autism Speaks had done so much for her family. But I saw that solicitation and knew I couldn't say no to her, and so I made up the rest of her fundraising goal the day before the walk, and am now a donor to an organizer I still question.

Real life just isn't black and white.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 5:28 pm

Inventor wrote:
NT thinking at it's worst.

As someone who spent a lifetime repairing machines, I have seen the differance. The NT view is maybe the outside. My computer, car, is not working.

Questions about what is not working are considered insulting, Questions about what they did just before it quit working are considered prying.

Systems are not just a box, it is an interlocking system of functions, each studied as a part of something.

On a car, the problem could be fuel, electric, or computer. At hundreds of dollars each troubleshooting becomes an art, even among mechanics.

Understanding parts, their function, how they work together, is what makes whole systems run.

At eighteen I was hired to keep a room full of IBM punchcard machines running, because I could see the part of the system that was not functioning, that stopped the whole system from preforming, and left five workers standing around. My education credits that got me the job, best motorcycle mechanic around. I also did Italian sports cars.

Parts make a chain of function through sub systems, which are obvious to me. Subsystems interact, Fuel, Spark, Timing, and all have to be in proper relationship to function. Function varies, what we call Performance, is getting the highest function from the whole system.

For this I was very well paid. Customers were mostly those perfect creations that only see what most people think is important. Since I had grease on my hands they considered me an inferior.

They ran something into the ground, then wanted a simple cheap quick fix. I became busy, come back in a week, then I will clean the engine and change the oil twice, then work on it. It worked, I got rid of most. They would not pay to clean an engine inside and out.

Those who agreed were told we can do that now. At mechanic rates, shop rate, $30 in cleaning was worth $50 in mechanic time.

The deal was I will only repair as I do, after cleaning I can see oil leaks, so new gaskets as needed. It was a full inspection, top and bottom, set valve lash, clean oil pan, and then the outside parts, Fuel, Electric.

Non functioning parts were replaced, partly functioning parts were replaced, and some just because they were old. Hoses, ignition wires, distributor caps. I fixed five out of one and a half things wrong.

The result was performance like new. I was a bit more expensive, but they got a light rebuild for the cost of a repair. I hardly ever saw them again, once a year. Some came back for brakes, I sent them to a brake shop.

They did send me customers that wanted the same.

The only people who were really interested were Surgeons, they not only wanted the deal, they would come clean parts to learn how systems function. Other mechanics reported the same, these guys could have been mechanics, they had the mind for it.

Almost all were "Normal People," They could see there was something under the hood. They got the important part, there was something there.

How all of that worked was beneath them. They had a real job, where they stayed clean.

Mechanics have a DSM of customers, we class them, laugh about them while drinking beer after work. We judge them compared to our superior knowledge. There are very few we see as fully functioning humans.

You need a clutch plate, the flywheel resurfaced, and a throwout bearing. "No I don't, just replace the clutch plate." OK, pull the driveshaft, transmission, bell housing, replace the clutch plate, $350.

A month later, the throwout bearing went, $330.

Six months later, the clutch plate went, $360 with a resurfaced flywheel.

I love Normal People.

To quote B.T. Barnum, "There is a Neurotypical born every second."

These skills are not exclusive to Aspies. I have excellent visual spatial skills, and work with detail, I can see patterns and troubleshoot things where others can't. To follow your mechanic-ing example I'm not a mechanic but I dismantled and fixed the auto trans in our family car last year to save money and because people said it can't be done (I like being told that), finding and replacing the worn plates in the 3-4 clutch saved us about $2K. Unsurprisingly I work in IT.
I think NTs sometimes get stereotyped around here.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 5:37 pm

Tambourine-Man wrote:
I'm tired of putting on a brave face. I'm exhausted, hurt, angry, lonely, and so sad my bones ache.
I had a bad meltdown tonight. I just want to go home.

I guess the world forgot to fully disclose all that is expected when you try to be a vocal and passionate advocate on a national stage. Or, it wasn't what you wanted to hear ... There is a reason I don't do that, step out into the bright lights with my "work" and ready opinions ... it takes a special personality, and the ability to install walls and boxes so that your life retains some measure of sanity. I'm not really seeing you as the walls and boxes type, which is actually a pretty cool thing for a writer and humorist ... But maybe more difficult if you are going to step in the middle of controversy.

You have a lot of young passion, but perhaps you'll want to let it season and settle a bit before you run fast and furious with it. At least when it comes to the world of Autism politics.

skyblue1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Nov 2011, 7:09 pm

Zeraeph wrote:
Inventor wrote:

Inventor, I just had to drop back to tell you that this is one of the most extraordinary, thought provoking and beautiful things I have read in a very long time. It has so much meaning and truth on so many levels it was a joy to read.

Thank you.
I agree....nice and thoughtful

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 7:33 pm

I didn't want to stop posting in the forums because I wanted to be an active participant in the community, not a distant observer and commentator.

Unfortunately, my time in the trenches has resulted in several very severe meltdowns. I may seem very confident and have frequently been described as "cunning." This is a misconception. I mostly just fly by the seat of pants. I have feelings and they are easily hurt.

I will continue writing for Wrong Planet and Autism Speaks and am very excited about my book and my upcoming appearance on Autism Talk TV.

This isn't a play for sympathy. I just want everyone to know that I have chosen to take a long break from posting in the forums, not because I don't enjoy it, but because it is threatening my health.

My meltdowns are really bad. I try not to write about the negative aspects of my autism, because I really do want to promote a neurodiverse message, but I'm no stranger to autistic ailments. I had a severe meltdown last night triggered by some of the stuff that has been going on. My brother laid on top of me last night. That helped a lot. When I have meltdowns I... um... I look really ridiculous. I cry, and scream, and beat my head against walls, and throw things, and flap my hands, and hyperventilate. I pace and rock and... just act really autistic. They are terrifying. I can't breath and get suicidal. This frightens and confuses my family, because they have not been trained to understand these outbursts.

Most of the posters here and elsewhere remain anonymous. By being open with my identity, I have invited both opportunity and enormous grief. Some people have questioned my claims of being attacked. Trust me guys, I know of very few "terrorists" here on Wrong Planet. However, I can assure you that they are out there. I have been continually attacked through numerous online avenues since I began writing. Myself and my family have been threatened, lied about, mocked relentlessly, and pushed to the edge. I do my best to ignore all this, but as I've said, I do have feelings, and it is becoming harder and harder not to react. Some people close to me have been very hurt by all this. Some of them have not reacted well. I have not always been mature and levelheaded myself.

I really am no one special, but overnight I found myself the topic of heated conversation in countless threads all over the Internet. Some people said some incredibly hurtful things. I tried very, very hard not to reveal how distressed I was by all of this. These past few years have been very difficult, and I've only publicly revealed a fraction of the suffering myself and my family have experienced.

I don't need this additional stress. Please forgive any controversy resulting from my presence here. I never wanted or expected it. I conducted an interview. I really didn't think it would be widely read. I certainly did not expect it to upset so many people. I was not prepared for some of the vicious attacks.

I may seem very self-assured and capable. The truth is that I only do one thing well - I write. Outside of my writing, I am not terribly successful. I can't understand the emotions of others, or recognize and control my own. I have severe meltdowns. I'm always putting my foot in my mouth.

I'm very, very stressed and depressed right now, because I'm worried I will never be able to care for a family of my own. I want so badly to have a wife and children and be able to make them happy.

Worrying about my online reputation ads too much stress. I need to take a break. Thank you all for understanding.

Duckfetishgirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2011, 3:46 pm

I feel horrible tam man. I'm sorry. I did feel like you were manipulating me at time but I think maybe you were just paranoid from being attacked. :(

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2011, 3:57 pm

Duckfetishgirl wrote:
I feel horrible tam man. I'm sorry. I did feel like you were manipulating me at time but I think maybe you were just paranoid from being attacked. :(

More than one group can do wrong. In any case what he did was questionable.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2011, 2:48 pm

Duckfetishgirl wrote:

I'm sorry Ducky. I was not trying to manipulate you. I was hurt and scared and wanted to offer clarification. The trouble with putting your true identity out on the Internet is that it opens you up to attack. People will lie about you and attempt to tear you down. I've learned the hard the hard way that the best thing to do is NOT offer clarification or try to defend myself. Eventually people will get bored and move on to attacking someone else.

When people lie about you and say mean things it is very hard not to respond. I've tried to be mature about this, but I have made mistakes.

I've noticed that I do not seem to be attacked outside of political discussions. I will keep my posts to less controversial subjects.