Page 5 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

ci
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 4:01 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKEwXTXgw70[/youtube]

To much fuss over small matters. That's why I left the online groups some 7-8 years ago. Allot of drama and destructive social behavior. I went offline and dared myself to advance inclusion and had no fears. Success after success most of the crap people say about others as in the so called N.T's are false. With support services for community inclusion I am around many more people then was before and I use it for advocacy and every day of the week 7 days a week and now I am going to be forced to goto the movies as I am told I need recreation time. I wish people would quit the fussing and be brave like I am/was for constructive opportunity creation. With as much energy spent being insulted over otherwise non-intending to be insulting words and beliefs so much progress could have been done. I have very little respect for people that spend so much energy making fusses over small matters.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 4:31 am

cant argue with that

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 12:12 pm

ci wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKEwXTXgw70[/youtube]

To much fuss over small matters. That's why I left the online groups some 7-8 years ago. Allot of drama and destructive social behavior. I went offline and dared myself to advance inclusion and had no fears. Success after success most of the crap people say about others as in the so called N.T's are false. With support services for community inclusion I am around many more people then was before and I use it for advocacy and every day of the week 7 days a week and now I am going to be forced to goto the movies as I am told I need recreation time. I wish people would quit the fussing and be brave like I am/was for constructive opportunity creation. With as much energy spent being insulted over otherwise non-intending to be insulting words and beliefs so much progress could have been done. I have very little respect for people that spend so much energy making fusses over small matters.

Well are you not assuming a bit yourself? the word ignorant is a valid part of the english language and can be used appropriatly if you want to assume I waste 'so' much energy making a fuss over small matters. In fact I think that you are trying to demonize me for using the word ignorant is making a fuss over a small matter. I mean in the post where I used the word I was making a point and instead of focusing on my point you focused on a word you don't particularly like.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 12:15 pm

No wasn't even referring to you. Anti-fuss is not against neurodiversity either. It's just spending time on things as a whole like for instance anti-cure when folks could work together to find solutions to improve lives regardless of personal choice in treatments and treatment potentials. A good example would be with your work experiences and finding solutions to help you find a successful job you can be respected at. That's not a small matter.

Calling people ignorant is a very negative word. It's just not advisable. However some people don't care if it hurts peoples feelings because their feelings were hurt to begin with. It's a potential cycle of social conflict that can be avoided.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 12:28 pm

ci wrote:
No wasn't even referring to you. Anti-fuss is not against neurodiversity either. It's just spending time on things as a whole like for instance anti-cure when folks could work together to find solutions to improve lives regardless of personal choice in treatments and treatment potentials. A good example would be with your work experiences and finding solutions to help you find a successful job you can be respected at. That's not a small matter.

Calling people ignorant is a very negative word. It's just not advisable. However some people don't care if it hurts peoples feelings because their feelings were hurt to begin with. It's a potential cycle of social conflict that can be avoided.

Well I know I was just pointing out that you pretty much just did what you just said you oppose people doing. And the world is not 100% positive, it is not good to be ignorant so yes it is a negative word. If someone is being a total jerk and making un-knowldegeable comments about someone then too bad if their feelings get hurt when someone calls them out on their crap.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm

You mean the fuss to end the fuss? The intent is to shift the focus. No one with autism I know fusses about cure and anti-cure or makes a big deal over small matters such as the word disease, concepts within pathology and so. They simply work. The awareness for treatment/cure differs from inclusion advocacy for instance. My goal has been to explain that the modality for inclusion in PR differs from that of medical treatment which is also a human right.

A person has extreme control over their own mind. It's hard when they have experienced "bullying". However we decide ultimately how we think. It might be ignorant to think otherwise as you might say but I prefer to say you, myself and others may realize this.

The word ignorance in curtain context's can be more mean then others. People with autism may have social related difficulties but we do choose how we react to not understanding, not fitting in and how we attempt to resolve it. We can be our own worst enemy like calling others ignorant and point out their inferiority to imply they are dumber then us or find alternative methods to creates positive feelings. Just think of it like looking into a mirror and talking to yourself. I'd be awfully hard on myself by calling others ignorant or to put them down for having a disability label applied to me when they don't have one.

In how others represent their autism advocacy towards others may influence others behaviors toward individuals with autism in general. I choose not to support calling others ignorant in general. Although there may be special circumstances. I've seen it just to casually used. Calling a person who is an obvious hater who intends to be a hater ignorant might be a good choice of words.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

ci wrote:
You mean the fuss to end the fuss? The intent is to shift the focus. No one with autism I know fusses about cure and anti-cure or makes a big deal over small matters such as the word disease, concepts within pathology and so. They simply work. The awareness for treatment/cure differs from inclusion advocacy for instance. My goal has been to explain that the modality for inclusion in PR differs from that of medical treatment which is also a human right.

A person has extreme control over their own mind. It's hard when they have experienced "bullying". However we decide ultimately how we think. It might be ignorant to think otherwise as you might say but I prefer to say you, myself and others may realize this.

The word ignorance in curtain context's can be more mean then others. People with autism may have social related difficulties but we do choose how we react to not understanding, not fitting in and how we attempt to resolve it. We can be our own worst enemy like calling others ignorant and point out their inferiority to imply they are dumber then us or find alternative methods to creates positive feelings. Just think of it like looking into a mirror and talking to yourself. I'd be awfully hard on myself by calling others ignorant or to put them down for having a disability labeled applied to me when they don't have one.

In how others represent their autism advocacy towards others may influence others behaviors toward individuals with autism in general. I choose not to support calling others ignorant in general. Although there may be special circumstances. I've seen it just to casually used. Calling a person who is an obvious hater who intends to be a hater ignorant might be a good choice of words.

So I am supposed to make sure I never use any negative words in conversation with people who are being jerks. a**holes, ect. to me because I might hurt their feelings a little bit when I call them out on their crap? come on I tried that for my whole childhood and all that did was increase the amount of bullying I suffered....if anything I need to become more assertive and not let people walk all over me like that. I am not going to get all agressive and such, as I prefer to remain civil where possible but negative words do have to be used sometimes. And calling someone out on being ignorant about something is hardly the same thing as calling them inferior or dumb.......and I do not causually throw the word around that is not the sort of person I am.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 12:59 pm

Thats great standing up for yourself.

Here is what I was referring to:

1. Giving speeches and idly using the word to call certain people who do not intent to be a jerk ignorant while representing autism. I've seen this happen by a parent and of which I later educated about the importance of good community relations. I could say the parent was being ignorant about the effects of negative words toward the public whom we want to support improvements by but that would be a double standard.

2. Calling organizations you disagree with ignorant over simple philosophical or ideological differences. Like if you were to advocate against Autism Speaks which this conversation was about.

3.On the job there are more formal ways to complain of potential discrimination. That's why I wanted examples from you.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 1:07 pm

[quote="ci"]Thats great standing up for yourself.

2. Calling organizations you disagree with ignorant over simple philosophical or ideological differences. Like if you were to advocate against Autism Speaks which this conversation was about.
/quote]this post is not about bashing autism speaks

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 1:09 pm

ci wrote:

1. Giving speeches and idly using the word to call certain people who do not intent to be a jerk ignorant while representing autism. I've seen this happen by a parent and of which I later educated about the importance of good community relations. I could say the parent was being ignorant about the effects of negative words toward the public whom we want to support improvements by but that would be a double standard.

3.On the job there are more formal ways to complain of potential discrimination. That's why I wanted examples from you.

Ok well I would probably not be giving a speech ever, but if I where I would likely be careful about how I word things as I would be adressing a large crowd so I agree with you on that point. And I don't call anyone ignorant over simple philosphical or idological differences. I usually use the word ignorant if I am referring to an individual or a group who uses innaccurate information to cause potential harm to others. Like I would say a lot of the neo-nazi organizations that exist are ignorant.......but I think there are some obvious reasons for that. On the job I usually am afraid to complain about anything at all for fear of being accused of whining, complaining or misunderstanding what I am complaining about and then looking like an idiot.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 1:12 pm

Yes I can see your point.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 1:13 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
ci wrote:

/quote]this post is not about bashing autism speaks

About Autism Speaks in general but not in general specifically against, yes.

[email protected]
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Aug 2023, 8:27 am

I disagree with much of what Autism Speaks, including their focus on a cure and the portrayal of autism. I mostly go by my experience of something, rather than what people say about it. I test emailed autism speaks once to see what would happen. I emailed back and forth with an autistic man who worked there, and he was understanding and helpful, giving resources and talking about his own experience as an autistic person. He emailed back the next day with more information. I dont like Autism Speaks, and they've donelots wrong, . But it's confusing when people disparage it, but the experience of it is different.