80% of aspies fail out/unemployed after 4+years of college

Page 3 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2009, 11:47 pm

[q
A lot of NT kids are being pushed into college with the same deficiencies, and they are facing the same outcome in increasing numbers. The difference being that people with NT are better suited to adapt on the fly and avoid a negative outcome.[/quote]

I hate buzz words-- to me, NT means 'normal transmitters'.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2009, 11:51 pm

[qck up and keep plugging away.
[/quote]''

It may be impossible to get back up when you have $50000 in college loans and no job.

[quote]
You don't take $50k in loans! Get grants! Especially if you are over age 24 and have basically no real income. Grants will largely help you go to school. When they do not cover all costs, you must work or get another source of income. Do NOT fall into the loan trap . Look at all the millions around you suffering horribly with bills now because they took loans. Yeah, it's tough, it's beyond tough, but I know people who WORKED full time and went to SCHOOL full time, and when I tell them that is not realistic for me or an asperger person, they say 'too bad, get another income'.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2009, 11:55 pm

[quote="Learning2Survive"][quote="general_piffle"]Well, if it's of any

"
Many aspies have their parents pay for college loans, rent, health insurance and the car, but it is totally worth it to seek out support groups and aspie organizations.
"HAVE" their parents pay their loans? Excuse me?! Where are these parents? My cousins are certainly not huge social beings, as a matter of fact, they never spoke at family events for many yrs, and their mother told me, on the day of the youngest's college graduation, that they gave them 'some' money to start out. .and the rest of the time, they worked their way through college. They now have no loans. They worked full time and went to school f time SIMULTANEOUSLY. I myself, being on some spectrum, took two buses to college daily, then left around 1 pm for work.. also worked 11pm 7am in the morning. Can u imagine the noise on those buses and what it did to my nerves to get outta night school at 9 pm at night to all that noise?!

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2009, 11:59 pm

[quote="hannahcamille"]Hi Everyone,
I'm glad you're going to an Ahttp://www.wrongplanet.net/mods/bbcode ... /bold.gifS group, but it sounds like it may be really depressing to be there.

[b]I agree. I was just thinking the same thing while reading this. If the group is not helping you to MOVE FORWARD towards employment, don't waste time in it. You need to be around people who are doing WELL, who are WORKING and keeping a job! if you expect to get a job. Commiserating doesn't really get you anywhere. Change and awareness does. I was in a support group (non asp. related) for seven yrs! Every week was full of mostly the same people not thriving, still with the same problems, and a few that were successful. I chose to contact the successful ones.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2009, 12:03 am

schleppenheimer wrote:
Well, it's good to have this information up front. Thanks for providing it.

Iocial skills will either make or break your college experience.

To be more specific, the problems I had in college with professors: One professor ridiculed me in front of a laughing class because she said I was staring at the wall. I turned head to look at white wall due to the brightlights and sensory overload in class. Understanding instructions which are very long or poorly worded. Professors CHANGE DIRECTIONS MID STREAM ON ASSIGNMENTS. We don' t like this, because when we get a syllabus, we take it verbatim. We don't like wasted time wasted effort, wasted work. I would rush to get an assignment done on the designated date, only to have a prof. change it because 'the majority of the class' couldn't keep up and wanted a later date. This is very irritating.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2009, 12:08 am

SectorStar wrote:
yep, I agree with a lot of that. I'm High Functioning Autistic and am facing many of those same problems and thoughts right now, and am on the verge of possibly dropping out of college because I can't pass half the stuff I need to get a degree. I think the idea of "going to college to get a better job" is just a fluke right now with the way the economy is. Only 50 percent of college graduates right now are actually finding jobs related to their degrees, or even finding A JOB in the first place. And the ironic thing is they get stuck with minimum wage jobs and are making the SAME amount of money or LESS then the people who have jobs right now that didn't go to college.

I have heard this reasoning for TWENTY YEARS! I k id you not. And the economy was thriving in the 90's. There are always always ALWAYS jobs in the government (usajobs.gov) for college graduates. Having that degree makes the difference between $5.00 an hour and $50,000. I kid you not., I worked in the govt. and I know. They didn't care how many skills I had or how many years I had worked, I still started at lower GS pay rate because I did not have that degree. The degree opened all the doors to all the positions you could possibly want. in the government. or at least the ability to apply for those positions, with in the govt. You get automatic pay raises every year. The work is often routine, which can be good for some spectrum people. Our office employed many disabled people.. that is another benefit. Also be sure to take the time and long effort to apply to your city, county and local govt. Also worked for them, and was permitted to work alone in a room when I told them it was for my concentration.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 6:02 am

So we have to try to succeed in college right?

silentvibrava
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jul 2009, 11:10 pm

I'm starting my first year of college this fall. I'm always afraid that I won't be able to handle it due to the social aspects. Academically, I do very well. I need a lot of support to transition to living on my own. With aspergers, it seems like climbing a mountain. I look like I'm still a freshman in high school, so I tend to be treated different by older folks. Thankfully, it gives me a little layway to make mistakes and test the waters.

Job wise, there are employment opportunities. I'm really good with programming languages. This year, I was offered two IT positions in my local area. I declined since I had to concentrate on my senior year though. Plus, I had no way of driving to my job; no car or license. I chose Computer Science since its something I enjoy, and it has good job prospects. I can get overwhelmed easily though. The job market is different than it was in the past.

I hope I'm the other twenty percent. I need to be productive to feel happy.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 8:18 am

Believe in yourself, and when I go to college three years later I will have more confidence that I can survive!! ! :)

Who cares about the 80% thingy anyway? Just do our best and never give up... and if we meet any problems, there's always WrongPlanet! Yeah!

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 8:34 am

ruennsheng wrote:
Believe in yourself, and when I go to college three years later I will have more confidence that I can survive!! ! :)

Who cares about the 80% thingy anyway? Just do our best and never give up... and if we meet any problems, there's always WrongPlanet! Yeah!

Agree since I am quite capable of finding employment with my degree that I will be receiving in 2010.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 9:19 am

What's more in Special Ed right?

Wonderful! You'll be our role model... :D

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 9:57 am

ruennsheng wrote:
What's more in Special Ed right?

Wonderful! You'll be our role model... :D

Actually I am a Social Science for Education degree but I am planning to do Graduate School in Special Education.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 11:36 pm

Social Science in Education!! !

Woohoo, hmm, great!

No pressures, but I think you will help everyone in WrongPlanet through your research... When can we read your thesis? :P

BlackMetalIstKrieg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2009, 12:24 pm

80% sounds like b.s. I have several part-time jobs, attend graduate school, live on my own. I know 2 other auties my age: both are employed and on track for graduation. Same with the bipolar folk I know. And I have reason to believe that some of my profs are aspie / autie. Most of you guys are psyching yourself out. I used to do that, until I just got out of my apartment and did actual things.

NTs are way more likely to "fail at life" than Aspies, IMO. No skills, full of beer and frat nonsense, more likely to smoke crack and get knocked up.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 1:33 pm

I worked part-time in college, all the way through. I attended 2 years at a college that didn't require freshmen to live on campus, and I think that saved me. living in the dorms would have driven me away the first year. then I traded up to a private college and was able to live off campus. I got zero help from parents, and it took me many years to pay my loans, but I got them paid. now I'm paying more off from my failed attempt to go to grad school a few years ago, right before my divorce.

I found the social experience at college to be much better than high school. it was easier to find my own kind, and there was more natural segregation between people with different interests so it was easier to avoid people who were really annoying. I never went to any parties, but I wasn't interested in parties, I was interested in classes.

AnnieK
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jul 2009, 7:55 am

OregonBecky wrote:
Einstein struggled with school.
The Early Years

Einstein finally got a job at a Swiss patent office, and earned just enough money so that his parents didn't have to support him, his young wife, and their new-born baby. Then, he started to work in solitude in the patent office, in between patent applications, on problems that had intrigued him as a child.

The Early Years

What that blurb doesn't tell you is that Einstein was unemployable in academia after graduating because his head professor hated his guts - Einstein kept on skipping his classes for what he found more interesting like philosophy and hence refused to give him a job (common practice at the time) or a good recommendation. Einstein managed to graduate despite skipping classes because he had a good friend who kept meticulous notes.

Einstein eventually got his job in the patent office through I believe the same friend.

Also in reference to him going to college early, he was only able to do that because his family paid for him despite the fact that their financial situation wasn't too great and his father wanted him to do engineering not physics. In fact I think his family supported him quite substantially in his early years. One of the reasons why he took the patent office job was because his guilt over his father getting ill and his feeling he was a burden on the family so he was determined to get a job, any job even if it didn't involve his beloved physics.

I mean Einstein was a genius but he didn't do everything on his own. He had substantial support from his family and friends who helped him and supported him.