Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 7:49 pm

I have one solution to beggars, ignoe them and walk on

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 9:25 pm

I do my best to flip them a coin out of my pocketful I usually have on me.

Perhaps they'll get lucky.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 9:41 pm

Ive been bugged several times in my life by this , and of course they wanted money; I'd say for what?
" well my car ran out of gas and its over there" ;pointing in some nebulous direction.
I volunteered to bring gas to 'over there' and they all said NO, NO , and shake their head and hands and this would shut this down.
If they wanted it for food; then I would make an effort to feed them , not their alcohol problem.

I even had someone knock on my door at 11p.m. at christmas , and say same 'gasoline song and dance'!

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2009, 10:39 pm

Red Deer has issues with vagrants as well.Although we have shelters here, they would prefer to illegally camp in the woods so they can do their drugs and booze since they shelters wont let them have it there.I have been approached by vagrants many times in downtown Red Deer.They are pretty aggressive and would follow you.I usually say I have no change even though I do, and if they hear the jingling in my pocket, I say it's the keys for my vehicle that are in my pocket.They usually frequent near parking lots where one must pay with change because they know that drivers usually have change for parking, although many lots now have the option of using plastic...which is why most of the time i just carry plastic.I just tell the homeless person I used my mastercard to pay for parking and dont carry change.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 2:19 am

ill just ingore em we have really good sosial security if they dont take it or spend on drugs its their problem

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 7:52 am

If I've got spare change, I'll usually give some to them.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Saspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2009, 8:55 am

Strangers approaching me (not just beggars but also people handing out flyers, buskers who stare at me when I walk past, people who want you to sign up to their charity, etc) really freaks me out. I use my ipod nearly all of the time when I am out in public walking as I cannot handle the usual noises of outside so this tends to put a lot of people off and even sometimes when I hear them I pretend I do not, and the headphones make a good excuse as to why I have not heard them. One guy who was representing a charity walked in front of me one day and kept following me to ask what music I was listening to and then he tried to make a conversation. Grrr I hated that. I feel bad for beggars when I do not give them money but I actually have picked a number of charities to support where I like what they are supporting so that is how I try to make things easier for others. I cannot help out everyone.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 10:05 am

I just continue walking or just pretend they're not there

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 11:46 am

I give them money sometimes, and if I have a bar of chocolate with me I'll give them some. I know it's stupid, but that's just me I guess.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2009, 12:28 pm

Only once in my life have I actually seen a homeless person at all (in York). I was with my family and we'd already passed by before I noticed him properly (I have slow reactions like that), but I felt bad for not giving him anything, because he was a war veteran and he'd lost one of his arms, as opposed to just some random drug addict.

In general, if I lived somewhere with a lot of homeless people, I would tend to give them food instead of money, because if they're starving they'll need the food, instead of just people pretending to be homeless to get money.

y es como un semestre"

FCPrates
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 May 2018, 5:53 am

I know for a fact that a lot of homeless people are homeless by their own volition. They happen to be under traumatic circumstances involving their families, and usually are schizophrenics or, well, on the spectrum.

If you ever find a homeless person that wants only food, needs no money, and sometimes doesn't even accept what you give them, well then you should know that there's a high probability that they're one of us. And that doesn't exclude drug users either. But that's something that happens here, in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. I wouldn't know about anywhere else.

And the sad reality is that over here, even Aspies and/or PDD-NOS that can function and interact in reasonable levels with other people are either the subject of excessive romanticization (and probably have, if anything, very tolerant interpersonal DYNAMICS within their families - that are usually middle class families) or happen to be met with skepticism since we don't seem to be f****n' Rain Man enough to warrant us the diagnosis.

Fay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 May 2018, 9:39 am

Depends, if someone genuinely ask for food who im i to deny to help but randomly i do not give money unless i know a legit purpose. I used to live once in a homeless shelter after i reemigrated back to my home country there was a mother in the diforce process and had eventually to be relocated back to her country which is a sad case i bought with the last money i had toys for the kidds so they have something to play with. Im that pne person that would give everything if it means the world to another person. Yet many beggars they just simply beg so they are able to sustain their addictions these i do not support.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 May 2018, 4:32 pm

I just tell them I don't have any on me & use cards for everything which is sort of the truth. I keep $20s in my wallet & use credit-cards everywhere I can. One time a beggar at a Greyhound bus station in NewYork city asked my girlfriend for money & she gave him some & then he asked her for more & wouldn't leave her alone till I told him very firmly to. She's been afraid to give to them after that. She has anxiety issues. Her dad told her a story after that about how a guy asked him for money & it was rouse to see how much money was in his wallet before the guy mugged him.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Oliver Twisted
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 May 2018, 6:07 pm

I usually either don’t say anything or say I don’t have any money (which is true.)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 7:46 am

My dad's default response is, "I'm all tapped out".