US president will have power to SHUT DOWN INTERNET!

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 10:21 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
I'm sorry too, for insulting you. I thought you were making a big deal out of this bill before understanding it. Now I know that you did understand it, but you were trying to twist the truth to prevent a potential threat to civil liberty. Your method was wrong, but you at least had good intentions, and when I called you on it, you apologised and were mature about it - more mature than I was, in retrospect. For that, I commend you.

That's ok, I definitely handled it the wrong way. I'm glad you called me on it. I think my fear got the best of me on this one.

Roxas_XIII wrote:
I agree that this bill does have some potentially unconstitutional aspects, but the majority of it is hardening security around government networks. I also happen to like the part of the bill that appropriates money to computer science scholarships for potential government computer workers. (I am a computer engineering major in dire need of money, you see.) I also think that America can bolster it's national security greatly via cyberspace defense, since it does happen to be America's Achilles heel when it comes to dealing with nations such as China and North Korea, countries that oppose us and have the technological ability to launch large-scale cyberattacks.

If the bill passes, I hope you get the scholarship. We need honest people like you working for the government. :wink:

Ive spent a little while thinking about why we need this type of security over the internet. I thought the government has a separate set of interwebs not connected to the main internet. Isn't this true? And if it is why is there a need for more security?

Roxas_XIII wrote:
I applaud you for doing your civic duty and preserving our freedom through protest like this; however, you don't need to twist the facts - the media already does that enough. Plus, if citizens know the true nature of this bill, they will be better placed to make an informed and intelligent decision on it.

Roxas
No your right I went about it the wrong way. I was scared and wanted to make sure it did not get through congress . I let my fear get the best of me.
Thanks for keeping me honest and being so understanding about it.

Just-me

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 11:34 pm

We all have times where we misunderstand things. It's what makes us human - yes, even the Aspies.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 11:50 pm

phil777 wrote:
"No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent. "

Votes are meant to entitle a person to do so, do they not? <.<

yes. votes are giving consent to govern , or at least thats my take on it.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2009, 11:52 pm

Roxas_XIII do you live in japan or am I taking your location thingy to literately.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 1:40 am

No, I don't live in Japan. I live in Wyoming. My location is simply a combination of anime reference and wishful thinking.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 2:41 am

Roxas_XIII wrote:
No, I don't live in Japan. I live in Wyoming. My location is simply a combination of anime reference and wishful thinking.
oh , ok. I guessed it was a reference to something but I really was not sure.

lol literal thinking at its best. :lol:

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 2:43 am

ruveyn wrote:

2. If the Internet is shut down your privacy is guaranteed. No one can overhear a conversation or communication that does not happen.

ruveyn

Thats rib breakingly funny

:lmao:

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2009, 10:18 pm

That wont work its unconstitutional thats way above the presidents role what sepreates the presidents is that he is not supposed to halve absolute power to do what he wishes like a king or a despotic dictator.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2009, 12:15 pm

OK. The facts tend to get so skewed on stuff like this, but I am assuming the Pres will have the power to shut the Internet down IF it were to be attacked by cyber-terrorists. Otherwise, if the Internet were to be shut down permanently, say hello to the dark ages and MILLIONS OR BILLIONS OF PEOPLE going through some SERIOUS Internet withdrawl.

Acebrock
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2009, 3:35 pm

I'm sorry, but this offends my sensibilities enough that I just have to respond, regardless of whether or not the poster meant it

kxmode wrote:
1. Take away people's right to arm themselves.
NO ONE has called for banning all guns!
Quote:
2. Destroy financial institutions to a point where the government assumes controls
They did that to themselves. Never heard of Subrime Mortgages?
Quote:
3. Regulate virtually every industry
Every developed nation regulates their industries, and none of them are dictatorships
Quote:
4. Destroy capitalism
What? No one wants to destroy capitalism, so far as I know
Quote:
5. Remove dissent
6. Censor free-speech
Yes, because they're just going to throw out the consitution, and establish a dictatorship, because of ONE law. :roll:

Quote:
Once those five have been achieved the United States will transform into a Communist country.
Never mind that it's 6. Alsodemocrats are not communists. they're actually center-right on the world stage. I've heard this misrepresentation for most of my time on the net, and I never cease to laugh at the silliness of it

Quote:
But wait, there's more...

7. create a security force that answers only the President
Wasn't that under the Bush administration? Kidding. Anyway, how the heck did you pull this (r any of the above for that matter) out of one PROPOSED law?