Yes, they are necessary 83%  83%  [ 57 ]
Yes, they are unnecessary 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 69

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2009, 11:00 pm

I voted yes, but not necessary. I like to use them when I need to read or look at things that are kind of far away, but I'm not blind without them.

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jul 2009, 1:02 am

pensieve wrote:
Richardce wrote:
Who here wears glasses either necessary or unnecessary? I don't but I have and a scar on my forehead, lanky and have messy black hair, guess what I would be called for the rest of my life if i had glasses! So do you have glasses and is this an AS thing?

OMG! It's Harry Potter!

And Harry Potter's cute, so don't worry if you get glasses.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 1:05 am

Wow... 77%? I wonder if this is somehow related to neurological functioning.... Or maybe it's just that most people are visually-impaired these days...

Divest
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jul 2009, 1:10 am

I don't have a choice when it comes to glasses... Mine are prisms and correct a focus issue between my eyes. My left eye focuses 3 degrees lower than my right eye making it impossible for me to focus without my glasses. To make things worse I have no depth perception without my glasses, which made any activity that involved balls pure hell when I was a Kid. I find that it also affects my perception of where my body is in reference to other objects... therefore I bump into things all the time

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 1:15 am

I used to when I was small up until I was in grade 9 .After that, I didnt need them.As a child, I had several eye operations.

I may eventually need to wear them again, but for reading only.I can drive fine without glasses, but I am finding it difficult to read small print.After next year, I will be working as paralegal, which will require lots of reading in relation to proofreading and drafting legal documents.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Last edited by Tory_canuck on 19 Jul 2009, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2009, 2:00 am

My eyes were fine till I reached puberty. I could no longer read the board in school in 9th or 10th grade. I have allergies which would make wearing contacts impossilbe. I tend to rub my eyes alot. I used to only wear my glasses when I went out, and had to drive, or see anything. At home, I never wore them, because I usually knew where everything was. Now(and since about 25) I need the glasses all the time. Driving without them isn't even near an option.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 2:30 am

Maggiedoll wrote:
(They last longer if you don't pull them in and out of your eyes every night.. lol. Not supposed to leave 'em in, but I do.)

I do the same thing. The doctor told me to take them out every night even though they were leave-ins and I said ok, sure... every two months or so I take them out and change them. Between that, I only take them out when they bother me.

Anyway, I do wear contacts most of the time, but not always. I'm wearing my glasses right now, and they're definitely necessary. Everything is literally a big blur (and a fuzzy blur at that) when I don't have any sort of correction. Got them was in 2nd grade, now at a -8.5 and a -7.25 both with astigmatisms.

Three years!

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 2:33 am

ColdBlooded wrote:
Wow... 77%? I wonder if this is somehow related to neurological functioning.... Or maybe it's just that most people are visually-impaired these days...

I think you could come up with a couple of theories for that.

1.) People who click on a topic called "Glasses" are probably wearing glasses. Those who don't assume it's not really applying to them and move on without viewing.
2.) People on the computer are more likely to eye problems from activities like staring at screens (whether they be tv, computer, or gaming systems) and/or reading. This could also be in higher porportion for people on the spectrum if it somehow relates to interest.
3.) People who click yes are including things like reading glasses, which aren't needed all the time but are still vital at some points.
4.) Most people are just visually impaired these days.

Three years!

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 3:00 pm

51 year old eyes, I need glasses for reading and using the PC.

Vanilla_Slice

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 3:11 pm

Yes, I have horrible near-sightedness (runs on my mom's side) and could not see without my glasses, which are so thick that people jokingly call them coke-bottles! :lol:

Richardce wrote:
Who here wears glasses either necessary or unnecessary? I don't but I have and a scar on my forehead, lanky and have messy black hair, guess what I would be called for the rest of my life if i had glasses! So do you have glasses and is this an AS thing?

Hellooooo Mr. Potter! :lol:

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 3:23 pm

Richardce wrote:

I have to wear them most of the time now. I've become more shortsighted in the last couple of years.

You can buy discrete glasses without rims, like these

I was surprised when people kept complimenting them; I didn't think people liked glasses.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 3:24 pm

I've worn them for 10 years and my eyes are only getting worse.

Demon-Chorus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jul 2009, 4:01 pm

I used to wear prescription glasses, I've since had lasik surgery and I see fine now, I forget when I precisley had it done though.

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 5:16 pm

I wear my glasses all the time. I'm -1.75 in one eye and -3.75 in the other, so I NEED to have them to focus. I also have astigmatism, which makes everything blurry at all distances.

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2009, 8:43 pm

I am blind literally without glasses and they help but barely to clarify my ssurroundings need to wear them or use a white cane lol so I picked the first one
when in bright light e.g. computers and rweadings screens or paper I need aqua tinted classes for my meres and Irlen syndrome commonly called blue dyslexia

I have worn mine since 1 and a half so I am used to them lol my vison is only like 1: 60 so its quite poor lol but with out the I see no detail every is blurred and blobby glad to see some visual impaired aspies on the board

squeeker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2009, 12:43 am

I've had glasses for a few years now. I am not blind without them, but I find them necessary for reading small writing far away, so basically for classes where there is powerpoints and/or a white board, as well as for driving, also it makes watching TV or Movies much clearer. But I can still see without them!