The “Wishful Thinking” Weekend Activity Support Thread

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2009, 7:52 pm

Hello greenturtle74,

Rainy relaxing evenings with mood music actually sound kind of cozy. Hope you're enjoying yours.

Didn't leave the apartment at all today, still recovering from the trip earlier in the week to the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and spending lots of time working in Photoshop on the pictures I took there. And now tomorrow I need to hop back in the car again and drive from my home base in Ohio to New York State where I have relatives to visit at a neighborhood picnic (with barbecued chicken!), a niece's and nephew's birthdays to catch up on (I'm what passes for their doting aunt), and framed photos to drop off at for the Member's Show at a local art gallery.

As for your meetup idea, greenturtle74, I consider you brave and wish you the best. It's good to give new things a try. If things work out you gain a more rewarding life. If they don't work out, at least you'll know you've given it your best effort. So either way, you come out ahead. Here's hoping the meetup opens up wonderful new doors of opportunity for you! :)

I once tried joining a political group through meetup hoping I'd make some friends among like-minded people. Apparently, I'm better off simply being a lone artist who travels far and wide taking pictures. People seem to like me better as an artist anyway, I'm discovering.

Take care this weekend!

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." -- REM

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2009, 8:23 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
Didn't leave the apartment at all today, still recovering from the trip earlier in the week to the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia and spending lots of time working in Photoshop on the pictures I took there.

Hi! That sounds like a wonderful way to spend a week. Me, I spent mine in an office, working against an impossible deadline, on an assignment so yecchy my brain was oozing out my ears. :eew:

the_phoenix wrote:
If things work out you gain a more rewarding life. If they don't work out, at least you'll know you've given it your best effort. So either way, you come out ahead.

That's how I'm approaching it. It is a crapshoot as far as who you meet. But I think I can do things like walk into a group of strangers, now that I've learned about AS, because I won't beat myself up for being nonsocial. I'll just be myself, and if we hit it off, we do, and if we don't, we don't.

Enjoy your drive and family time!

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2009, 7:57 pm

Saturday 8/29 – Today, I did my best to enjoy the day, even though spending it by myself. Worked in the yard, caught up on my to-do list, created my profile on Meetup. I went out to the store to get the new EP by Blitzen Trapper, one of my favorite bands. I had to go three different places to find it. It’s true what they say, you really can’t find a good selection of music at Borders anymore. Luckily my local independent record store came through.

Ooo, but the best part of my day! I’ve taken up barefoot hiking. OMG, so awesome! I’ve found a park with trails with nobody around, where I can go short distances, about 15 minutes. This is the second time I’ve gone this week. I’ve actually wanted to try this for a long time – it fascinated me on so many levels – sensory, spiritual, and just to feel like a kid again. So I’m glad I overcame my self-consciousness, although I’m still paranoid someone might see me. But, there is actually a barefoot hiking group local to me, and I signed up to join. Meeting like-minded people would be really cool, and I wouldn’t have to be self-conscious.

So I try to be satisfied with my Saturday, although I can’t help but think how much better it could've been. What if I’d had someone to go with me, running around to the music stores? It could’ve been more fun and less of a hassle. I would’ve liked someone to hike with me, and I would’ve liked someone to have dinner with, so instead of Vietnamese takeout, we could’ve sat in a restaurant and had a nice time. I really do try to make the most of every day, but when I spend it by myself, there’s just always something lacking.

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2009, 7:18 pm

Friday 9/4 - The start of a long weekend. I do have something big planned, not so much an activity as an announcement. I'm planning to let some friends in on something I've long kept to myself. If it goes well, it could really catapult my social life in the direction I want. For tonight, I'm staying in, mentally preparing.

Actually, I'm doing step 1 of my plan. I'm posting some photos to Facebook. Just pics of myself. Happy pics, funny pics, silly pics. Ones that make me smile. The kind that, for a long time, I didn't even have, or would have been too embarrassed to share. But lately, I've had a lot to smile about, and I've become kinda proud of how I look. Warts and all. And I feel like sharing it.