Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nwmomofAS
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2009, 2:11 am

What is your childs IQ and is your child autistic, or classified as asperger's. My son was given an IQ test and we are awaiting the results.

Thank you in advance for answering.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 2:15 am

Oh my, this will get even more competitive than the "what's your IQ" threads.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what our kids IQ's are. I hope you don't worry too much while you're waiting, and I hope you're fine with the result, whatever it is.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 2:18 am

My IQ is signifigantly lower than that of my ASish parents...

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 10:03 am

IQ scores are irrelevant to a child's health, happiness and ability to succeed at school or life. I tested with a very high IQ as a child, but all that did was set all kinds of unrealistic expectations in my parents and teachers minds. It really didn't matter how high my IQ was if I could barely function at school.

My sons are very smart, but their skills and talents are offset by other areas where they struggle considerably...high highs and low lows. Scoring either high or low on an IQ test would be meaningless, as far as what their capabilities truly are.

Don't get wrapped up in the number, no matter what it is. It really doesn't mean much either way.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 12:39 pm

Realy not something I've ever even thought about. I've gotten alot of diffrent scores on my younger son who is a nonverbal auntie mostly on the depressing low side. I feel they are compelt BS <sorry for the foul word>. The child can read and take apart just about anything and put it back together. But the scores have never reflected any of that because the strangers that the drag in to test him are unable to get anything out of him a treat me like a crazy mother. :roll:
I wouldn't worry about the numbers on a peice of paper. Your child is a wonder gift no matter what the tests say. :)

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 4:53 pm

I would think a poll would be better so you can't see what user put what etc.

epril
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2009, 12:05 am

i always thought that people were born with a certain IQ. I thought it meant what your potential for learning was, ex. if you have a high IQ you're more likely to be able to do rocket science. I later found out that my daughter's IQ had changed! I honestly thought IQ was a constant. What am I not understanding? Another ex. Aren't you born a slow learner? Yes, you can learn but no matter what you'll never be a rocket scientist. I'll never be a mathematician. It's not in my genes. I'll never be smart enough no matter how much I try. Isn't that because my IQ which I'm born with can't get higher??

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2009, 8:16 am

epril wrote:
i always thought that people were born with a certain IQ. I thought it meant what your potential for learning was, ex. if you have a high IQ you're more likely to be able to do rocket science. I later found out that my daughter's IQ had changed! I honestly thought IQ was a constant. What am I not understanding? Another ex. Aren't you born a slow learner? Yes, you can learn but no matter what you'll never be a rocket scientist. I'll never be a mathematician. It's not in my genes. I'll never be smart enough no matter how much I try. Isn't that because my IQ which I'm born with can't get higher??

Your IQ can improve. Just as studying and practicing for the SAT's in school can get you a better score, practicing many types of tests and learning new things can improve your ability to test and result in a higher IQ score.. especially when we're talking about scores in the normal and above range. Having an higher overall education, more wordly knowledge, etc can result in a higher score.

To the OP, I don't put much stock in IQ scores but to answer your question.. my daughter and I score the same number. LOL 112 Slightly higher than average. We're both dx'd with Asperger's.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 7:00 pm

IQ is entirely irrelevant to aspergers except... that it must be within normal ranges.

epril
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2009, 12:05 am

Dragonfly_Dreams wrote:
epril wrote:

Your IQ can improve. Just as studying and practicing for the SAT's in school can get you a better score, practicing many types of tests and learning new things can improve your ability to test and result in a higher IQ score.. especially when we're talking about scores in the normal and above range. Having an higher overall education, more wordly knowledge, etc can result in a higher score.

To the OP, I don't put much stock in IQ scores but to answer your question.. my daughter and I score the same number. LOL 112 Slightly higher than average. We're both dx'd with Asperger's.

Hmm..so, if your IQ score goes down, does that mean your brain isn't being fed properly? Not much learning going on? In my daughters case, her IQ score went down from about 2nd grade to 6th grade. Does that mean her parents, her environment, and her school teachers aren't stimulating her enough, and she's losing brain power?? Very scary.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 1:02 am

No. It means that she's getting bored with the tests, or that she's decided not to play a game that, to her, is irrelevant. When I was a kid my IQ once halved, it doesn't mean I suddenly became a moron. It's just, they didn't believe the first result, kept testing me, and I got sick of it.

More recently, my IQ dropped by 20 points. It's probably because I'm stressed at work and depressed. Of course, I could be losing my brain, but I don't think so. If I discover I've got some horrible disease, of course I'll tell you before my brain dissolves forever... but I think IQ does tend to remain a constant. Our response to the tests, however, varies.

answersfinally
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2009, 5:30 pm

There is some inaccurate information here. An IQ score reflects performance on a specific test. The most common individually administered tests are quite reliable and valid for typical purposes. Different tests will yield different scores for the same individual although among the best known tests, the scores will usually not be wildly different. In general, and IQ score gives a general idea where someone's ability (influenced by what has been learned) falls compared to others the same age. People tend to stay at about the same level, relative to others, across their lifespan. So, a person who is at the 50% percentile at age 30 will likely be at about that 10 years later or earlier-unless something. The tests tend to be fairly reliable over time. So, what does the score show? Most test scores reflect how an individual performed on a series of tasks. Tasks reflect what has been learned (information or vocabulary questions), social understanding (what to do in a given situation), memory, spatial relations, among other skills. An individual born with good aptitude but in an environment that is not enriched or who does not derive information from the environment would do well on some basic tasks but less well on those reflecting how much the person has learned. A child who may be average but whose parents make sure that the child has plenty of opportunities to learn may do well on things like vocabulary but less well on those tasks reflecting mostly inherent ability. A person who is insensitive to social cues may do well on tasks reflecting academic learning and environment but do poorly on those reflecting social reasoning. Certain assumptions underlie the test. They assume that most people have common experiences so differences in performance reflect individual differences rather than differences in opportunities to learn. When the assumptions are violated the tests are less valid.

answersfinally
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2009, 5:34 pm

Sorry. Left this impt stuff out. For most tests, the score for the individual is compared to those of a standardization sample-to yield standardized scores. For most tests, an IQ of 100 +/- 15 (1SD) is within the average range. So, those who score 85-115 are considered to be of average intellect.

Mama_to_Grace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 10:50 pm

While I don't really feel comfortable giving my dd's IQ here I will say that very surprisingly she scored in the 99.9% compared to same age peers on the spatial abilities portion. This was very notable in relation to the rest of her scores.

I do not put much weight on the numerical values but the test can show where your child's strengths and weaknesses are with regards to cognitive functioning. In that way, it can be very enlightening.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 11:03 pm

My son was given an IQ test as part of his AS evaluation but my understanding was that the purpose was less about seeing the final score than seeing how the components compare. One of the things that happens with AS - and was quite dramatic with my son - is that the components can vary widely. One component area might score 90, another 150, and so on. I don't recall how many components can be tested, but in my son's case I believe 4 were, which was not all that were available, just the key ones. They were quite disparate, and I was told the disparity is a hallmark of AS. An NT is likely to have fairly consistent scores accross the areas, or at least not some below average and others well above, as happened with my son (the average was high enough to qualify him as gifted, they told me, but it really isn't relevent when the components vary so much).

Grapes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Aug 2009, 9:55 pm

gbollard wrote:
IQ is entirely irrelevant to aspergers except... that it must be within normal ranges.

Normal or above average.