Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2006, 7:07 pm

I'm not too happy at one of the members here. I won't name who she is, but she seems to want to me change my avatar. This avatar has to do with my obsession, and it offends me when people tell me to censor anything that has to do with tuberculosis. This is Takasugi Shinsaku. He was a real samurai, but he was also in the anime Samurai X. He died from TB. That is the way I want to die as well, but not anytime soon.

Don't bring up telling me to censor it ever again. Seriously. That's the best way to make me hate someone. Someone censored me on a forum last year, and I still hate the guy for it. Tuberculosis is very important to me. I thought that this was a place where people would respect me and leave me alone about it. I guess I was wrong.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2006, 7:56 pm

could it be the same person that told me similar things about my avatar?

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2006, 7:58 pm

I wasn't around when whoever complained about your's, but it might be her. If I see an avatar that offends me, I just don't say anything. I don't go and complain about it like she's doing. That just causes trouble.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2006, 10:30 pm

I have to admit that I don't understand your love of tuberculosis, but at the same time, a lot of people don't understand me. I always like it when people at least make an attempt to understand before brushing me off, so, if you don't mind my asking...what is it about tuberculosis that you love? Why tuberculosis?

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2006, 10:33 pm

Uh, you actually want to die from tuberculosis? 8O That, I think, is taking your obsession a little too far... an interest in the disease would be fine from a detached academic perspective, but saying you actually want to die from it sounds a bit sick in my opinion... It could be considered disrespectful by those who actually suffer from the disease as well, they may feel you're making light of their condition.

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2006, 10:54 pm

My friends and my parents thought I was a but weird at first, but they now accept that it's part of who I am. My psychiatrist knows that I want to die from TB, but he's okay with it. People that don't know me very well sometimes tell me that I have a sick mind, but a few say that I sound like a cool person.

I guess I first got obsessed with tuberculosis when I was 13 after watching a lot of Rurouni Kenshin. Many characters on that anime have tuberculosis. Something just fascinates me about coughing up blood. I really don't know why. I'm 20, and I'm still obsessed with it.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2006, 10:57 pm

As I told Neuroman about his avatar in another thread:

Quote:
I can understand people finding it objectional as some people are sensitive to seeing blood, body parts and organs. Some people don't like loud noises, some don't like flourescent lights, and some don't want images of bodily organs [edit: or blood] shoved in their face. It's all on the same level if you ask me.

I'm not expecting anyone to censor themselves, but just use common sense and an ounce of fairness. You expect people here to be sensitive to your issues, yet you hate people who ask you to be sensitive to theirs? You expect allowences for yourself, but you're unwilling to consider others' feelings. That's what I object to - that sense of entitlement. I think that's unreasonable.

If you want to waste energy hating me too, go ahead. But get a clue: graphic images are called graphic for a reason. And would it be so bad to consider that this forum is not the place to be exhibiting graphic images, be they realistic, anime or something else? There are legions of other places out there you can see and exhibit graphic images. No one's harassing you over having these interests or talking about them here - it's just this one image. I agree with SnoCone - fine if this samuri and TB are important to you, but how does that necessiate being so rigid and defensive over your avatar? This seems a little much that you are so reactionary, emotional and unwilling to consider an alternative.

I won't say you should change it, but at least consider whether this is appropriate behavior on your part and whether this avatar is appropriate for this forum. That wouldn't be censorship - simply cooperation and considerateness.

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2006, 10:59 pm

I won't be changing it. Alex told me that it was okay and I shouldn't change it because someone tells me to.

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2006, 4:29 am

My 50 cents worth (pro-rated for inflation):
I have no problems with your avatar. I think emulating the life of a samurai can be ennobling, since they adhere(d) to a strict moral code and kept their word at all costs. I don't know about emulating a samurai's fatal illness, but that's your affair.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 6:08 am

Deleted since the mods won't lock this hatred thread

Last edited by MsTriste on 01 Feb 2006, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 6:17 am

Deleted since the mods won't lock this hatred thread

Last edited by MsTriste on 01 Feb 2006, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2006, 9:21 am

How is this a lie? I didn't lie about anything. I was polite and I never mentioned your name. when I'm angry, I need to complain about something or else things will just get worse. To me, it is more than just an avatar. I was't attacking you. I was just ranting because I'm ticked off. If I don't do that, I'll end up punching a hole in the wall and I'll get in trouble.

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 10:03 am

I would understand it if it was a picture of a sexual body part or blood spurting out of a hacked off arm ( this is common sense), but this is ridiculous. Oh wow, there's blood on a guy's face. I thought it was a vampire. If the sight of that tiny bit of blood is offensive to anyone, dealing in the real world is going to be a problem. Especially if you're a woman. We kind of have that thing once a month, and I know that's a lot more blood then what's on TB's avatar. TB never mentioned your name Aylissa, but you kindly let us know who he was refering to. Maybe you're upset that TB brought this up in a new thread because you know bugging a person to change their avatar based on very thin reasons is ridiculous.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 11:07 am

Please keep things civil, folks. This thread has more or less served its purpose, if things start to get heated again we'll have to lock it.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 12:51 pm

Your avatar screws with me neuroman, but i wouldnt ask you to change it, actually i'd prefer for you to keep it. I take pride from caring that others should be allowed the right to freedom of expression despite any offense it might cause.

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 1:37 pm

Nomaken wrote:
Your avatar screws with me neuroman, but i wouldnt ask you to change it, actually i'd prefer for you to keep it. I take pride from caring that others should be allowed the right to freedom of expression despite any offense it might cause.

Same here. Everyone is gonna be offended by something, and you can't make everyone happy.