Why isn't OCD or asthma a fad, but apparently AS/HFA is?

Page 5 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 2:16 pm

wendigopsychosis wrote:
Horus wrote:
You see....these type of "liberals" claim a United colors of Benetton love of diversity.

I come from an extremely liberal part of western MA, and I absolutely hate that liberals think of themselves as somehow more "open minded" than conservatives.
In my high school, if you declared yourself to be anything but insanely liberal, everyone immediately asked, "Wait, are you a republican?" as though someone with a differing view point was somehow the bad guy. Now, I'm not a republican, and I absolutely hate both of the mainstream parties, but I think there's something inherently wrong with the "good guys and bad guys" thing we have going on.
Liberals are no more open minded than their conservative counterparts.
I had a high school art teacher who was talking about how he loves my town, because he used to teach at a catholic all-boys school, and they were all very religious, conservative, and closed minded; he loved our town because people were so much more "accepting," here.
I raised my hand and told him that we are no more accepting, we simply agree with him. Where in his old school he was shunned for being a liberal, here he is embraced. But if any of the catholic boys tried to join the school over here, they would be ostracized, hated, total outcasts...
Not that it's in any way bad to fight for the rights of genocide victims, the gay community, the autistic community, etc etc. But to say that one system (that doesn't accept the other, and hates it back with just as much fire) is "open minded," is simply being naive...

What annoys me the most is the hypocrisy of many self-described liberals and conservatives. Actually I don't find conservatives to be less hypocritical, they're just hypocrtical in regards to their own self-proclaimed convictions.

For example...take many pro-war conservatives. Those who thought the foreign policy ideas of the Bush administration and the neocons were just peachy.

"Supporting the troops" doesn't just involve placing a yellow ribbon on the antenna of hummer.

Last time I checked, it involves some degree of SACRIFICE and considering the number of homeless vets in this country (supposedly around 250,000 Vietnam vets are homeless) i'd say there's not much genuine "support" or sacrifice going on.

Millions of middle class and rich Americans seem to conveniently forget that they're among the most fortunate souls who've ever walked the earth.

You see....the poor dears....they MUST have somekind of a neurological impairment or something. I say this because they seem to have a very inconsistent memory. In fact...I think many of them should undergo some neuropsychological testing, because their memory seems to display as much "scatter" as many of us autistics do on IQ tests.

I mean it's really strange....on one hand, their memory seems quite Eidectic when it comes to everything written in the bible about homosexuality, "unbelievers", the "choosen people" status of the Israelites, etc.....

But they seem downright amnesic when it comes to ANYTHING written in the bible, even things supposedly said by Jesus himself, that demand PERSONAL SACRIFICE.

You know.....things like...."TO THOSE WHO MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED".

Weird huh? :roll:

Anyway....one particular example of this kind of "support" sticks in my mind to this day.

Not long after the Iraq war began, I remember seeing an interview with some upper middle class soccer mom on the nightly news.

This women was a stauch pro-war conservative and made no secrets about it.

She had two college-bound sons who were quite eligible for military service. She literally came out and admitted that even though she fully supports the war, she didn't think HER sons should have to serve.

In other words...the poor and expendable subhumans who "aren't doing anything better with their lives" should do the all the actual bleeding and dying. Her little darlings should be getting drunk at sports bars while she flies an American flag on her porch.

I'm sure her mentality is shared by countless people in the "pro-war" crowd.

Really....I don't have the words to express this sort self-entitled, hypocritical and as far as i'm concerned, downright sociopathic mentality.

I happen to believe we should expand the definition of anti-social personality disorder. If we did, I think we would find that millions of technically law-abiding, gainfully employed, "good citizen" little Eichmanns among both "liberals" and "conservatives" would meet the diagnostic criteria.