How do you find ways to enjoy your job?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 6:50 pm

My 1st and only job lasted 3 months since I quit due to 1) I had a surgery planned and 2) the boss was constantly giving me the run around (example shift ends in 10min. get these 20 things done before clocking out) :-) I also was and still am upset over my college suspension it was so bad I'd go cry in the bathroom for 30min. (4 hour part time job people!) :-( My next job I want to stay focused on being positive (paying bills and saving for going back to school) but I don't know how. (at my first job I'll never forget my Nanny putting in a Birthday card I should get back in school and not work at Mcdonald's the rest of my life. It's depressing for me I DON'T WANT TO BE A STATISTIC! I want a career and to be truly happy which I remember being in College (financially it's not in the cards now but I don't know how to stay job focused when I'm still upset over not having College.) :-( Any tips? Thanks WP.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 8:05 pm

I didn't finish university either. It takes a bit of time to become adjusted to the real world but, eventually, you'll find other ways to stimulate yourself. There's more to life than sweating over assignments.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 9:03 pm

Thanks but I'd give ANYTHING to be back in College it was my home were I was most comfortable etc. :-( I feel I can't function at a job knowing I'm not in College. :-(

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

02 Oct 2009, 9:08 pm

Wish I could answer this one. I have managed to keep my one and only job after college, but it makes me completely miserable. :cry: It is a customer service job that I despise. I am in charge of operations (because I am good at reading/remembering procedures) but I am still miserable and though I have had several interviews for other jobs, I can't seem to get free of this job. I am assuming I just don't interview well since I am usually qualified for the jobs for which I apply.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Trwn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Oct 2009, 10:08 pm

Everything will go through, in one way or another.

Sometimes one quits College because knows that one is not particularly fitting in that kind of studies. Or because you need to work. Time goes on, and you realize that it's time to come back. In some cases you finish by doing exactly the same things you once refused to do.

Please, don't worry that much about your long term future. Just do the things one by one. Just have always in your mind the college goal or possibility. Sometimes things arrange themselves in very strange and unpredictable manners, and you could find yourself back to the college earlier than you imagine.

Meanwhile, enjoy your job and your time. Without never stopping to look at the possibility of returning to College.

By the way, some people enjoy College much more when they are already a bit more "grown-up" and have more experience.

Don't give up. Enjoy it. And good luck.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 10:22 pm

Trwn wrote:
Everything will go through, in one way or another.

Sometimes one quits College because knows that one is not particularly fitting in that kind of studies. Or because you need to work. Time goes on, and you realize that it's time to come back. In some cases you finish by doing exactly the same things you once refused to do.

Please, don't worry that much about your long term future. Just do the things one by one. Just have always in your mind the college goal or possibility. Sometimes things arrange themselves in very strange and unpredictable manners, and you could find yourself back to the college earlier than you imagine.

Meanwhile, enjoy your job and your time. Without never stopping to look at the possibility of returning to College.

By the way, some people enjoy College much more when they are already a bit more "grown-up" and have more experience.

Don't give up. Enjoy it. And good luck.

Wow what a sweet thing to say. :-) Hopefully I can do that when I get a job have my focus be bills then College 1st is regular debt (not relying on Ccards) 2nd) NY trip debt 1500 3) (If I get one before Christmas) gifts/holiday items. etc. Both debts are my top priority though. :-) Thanks I was almost in tears that's such a sweet thing to say. :-) (I can always count on WP members to cheer me up) BTW my mom asked me today what email did you hear about the job place from I said it was from a message board I go to some stranger she said oh. (As did the counselor who I'm dealing with) Now that I think about it I wouldn't be where I am trying to understand myself unless I found WP (understanding and connecting my issues/life to AS and hearing of ways to cope and fix my social issues) :-)

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 10:33 pm

When I am in a sour, dour mood about being at my work, I always use a bit of logic...

My employer is paying me to do my job. If I don't like it - I can quit at the end of the day. While I am still "on the clock" I will respect that I am being paid to do my job properly.

I remember that my being at work is my choice. I can choose to go elsewhere. I cannot be angry at anyone else when something is my choice.

While I am at work, in whatever capacity this work is, I can take pride in what I am doing. Even if it is working in a fast food restaurant. I can ensure that the food is cooked correctly. The orders are complete and everything is in order. This work may be repetitive, but each person making an order is an individual and I am helping this individual by making their transaction smooth and pleasant.

I can concentrate fully on what I am doing. I will not let my mind wander to regrets (e.g. going to school, taking a different job or ????). I will focus on the task(s) at hand. Compartmentalize. Worry about school and everything else when the shift ends.

Finally, when I get home, I have a shower. I always shower when I get home and change out of my work clothes (even if you just wear regular clothes to work - have a designated "work" clothes and shoes). This symbolically "washes" the day off of me so that I can enjoy my home life without thoughts of work stealing precious time away from family,friends,pets and/or other interests. Again, it's compartmentalizing.

Trwn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2009, 1:25 am

Thank you.

I really think everything will be good.
I also apologize because sometimes it is difficult for me to write or so in english (and mostly when I'm tired, it is not my mother tongue)

What social issues are you talking about? :)

Have a good time

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 10:21 am

The social issues for me are mainly saying/doing the wrong thing.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 10:26 am

Quote:
How do you find ways to enjoy your job?

i have a job which utilizes my natural urges to diddle and play with ideas.
i enjoy my job without having to think peripherally about it.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 5:47 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:

Learn skills of recovery. It's the higher order skill. Okay, you say the wrong thing, so what? Gently ease back, go sideways, go lateral. Occasionally, give the other person space.

It's not about the perfectionist thing of never making mistakes.

It's rather the dynamic process of taking a medium step, getting feedback, and going from there.

(PS McDonalds is a more abusive job than being a CPA, or a medical researcher. Of course it heavily depends on the particular boss, but some "bosses" at low-level jobs are just terrible.)

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 7:08 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
zeldapsychology wrote:

Learn skills of recovery. It's the higher order skill. Okay, you say the wrong thing, so what? Gently ease back, go sideways, go lateral. Occasionally, give the other person space.

It's not about the perfectionist thing of never making mistakes.

It's rather the dynamic process of taking a medium step, getting feedback, and going from there.

(PS McDonalds is a more abusive job than being a CPA, or a medical researcher. Of course it heavily depends on the particular boss, but some "bosses" at low-level jobs are just terrible.)

Interesting IMO the #1 fix with the talking/doing the wrong thing is backing off I blow you off/let it go in one ear out the other then ALMOST fired/kicked from College etc. :-(

Logan5
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2009, 4:57 am

Zelda,

Some people in this world are able to obtain jobs in fields which are of great interest to them. These are rare and lucky individuals.

In my experience, all jobs have both good and bad aspects to them. Unfortunately, over time the negative aspects start to wear me down and I become depressed and demoralised. Currently I am working a part time job. This provides me with just enough money to get by, and frees up some time to work on my interest. (My interest is really all I have that keeps me going in life.) Like CanadianRose, I compartmentalise.

zeldapsychology wrote:

I am not sure if this is same thing, but at previous jobs I ran into problems with people misinterpreting things I said or wrote. My way of dealing with that problem was to get a job that involves very little interaction with other people, and to constantly remind myself that I am usually better off when I keep my mouth shut. My boss and co-workers probably think I am quiet and unsociable, but my employer does not care so long as I get the job done. For this reason, it is extremely unlikely I will quit this job in the next few years.

Anyway, best of luck with whatever you end up doing. :)

[Edited for typos]

Last edited by Logan5 on 05 Oct 2009, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 7:56 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Interesting IMO the #1 fix with the talking/doing the wrong thing is backing off I blow you off/let it go in one ear out the other then ALMOST fired/kicked from College etc. :-(

When possible, I try and look at it as a sign of respect. The person needs space, I will graciously let him or her have space.

Think the scene in APOLLO 13, the Gene Krantz character wants the re-entry checklist, it's slow in coming, and he kicks a filing cabinet or desk. Deke Slayton and the other character just give him space, slightly back off, allow themselves to appear surprised, don't particularly hide it but then again, don't overdo it either. Just give the guy space. (of course, borderline violence ain't cool, even in a life or death situation. I mean, it's not helping the situation, rather just clogging up the situation with one more awkward variable. In a really healthy workspace, he would apologize several days after the very emotional saving of the astronauts' lives. And this apology would be accepted graciously by the other two guys.)

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 8:45 pm

Thanks for the tips I hope to try the just do your job part and come off as antisocial but that's SO NOT ME! (But it'll have to be if I want to keep my job/be back in College) so it'll be hard at first we'll see knowing my luck my boss will want a social type or whatever and will want MORE than just do your job. :-( We'll wait and see.

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 2:49 am

I have been getting more work as a comic book inker. I get to play with superheroes all day.