List one NT thing you do not understand.

Page 1 of 65 [ 1025 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 65  Next

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 3:38 pm

It can be anything, illogical or logical. Just post ONE NT habit, preoccupation, belief, or behaviour you don't understand.

For me, why do women like so many purses of so many colours and sizes?!?! I have a little black purse. It's got shoelaces for handles because the old ones ripped off. I use it every day. I like it because it's just bigger than a large pocket. Why do some people feel the need to carry around a stiff brightly coloured bag the size of a sheep? :lol:

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 3:45 pm

:lol: I read the thread title, and the first thing that came into my mind was not purses but... shoes!

In truth though, I suspect the answer to both is that it's a cultural thing that people enjoy going along with, rather than a more mysterious innate difference. :)

The year is still young.

LifeOfTheSpectrum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2009, 3:53 pm

Women hate lyers but you HAVE to lie when they say "does my bum look big in this."

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 3:54 pm

argh! but you said something logical. XD. i dont think i made sense. just post something you, really as yourself, dont get or feel in sync with. something that baffles you even with logical reasons like culture....

acclue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2009, 4:14 pm

One thing I don't get is why NTs like to apologize when they've done nothing wrong and it's clearly not their fault. I think it's something to do with loss, but I don't get why you would apologize.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 4:36 pm

I do not understand the entertainment value of bullying.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 4:47 pm

Why do they ask for your honest opinion, then get upset when you give it? :scratch: :huh: :shrug:

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

04 Oct 2009, 4:51 pm

small talk or the need to fill "awkward" silences. If you have nothing pertinent to say, don't.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

beetle812
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Oct 2009, 4:52 pm

I don't understand the NT need to smile for no reason and make small talk for no reason and to ask you how you're doing when they really don't want the real answer.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 5:11 pm

Yes, how can some people be so genuinely disingenuous?!

Have you ever seen THX-1138?

beetle812
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Oct 2009, 5:26 pm

leejosepho wrote:
Yes, how can some people be so genuinely disingenuous?!

Have you ever seen THX-1138
?
Who me? No.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 5:37 pm

I understand small talk and pleasantries (it took time to realize that small talk is suppose to be kept light and positive - I used to answer how I really felt in casual social situations - oops :oops: )

What I totally don't understand is how a NT can keep the same expression when they are lying as when they are telling the truth. It doesn't matter if it is a boldface whopper or a little white lie - NT"s have this superpower ability to lie without a trace of evidence (and without any compunctions). I am not saying that NT's are "liars" or that they are all bad - it is just one of those annoying things.

Funny - I don't have a problem with a "little white lie" - if someone loves a pair of shoes, but I think that they look silly - I will say that they "suit someone" or that the person "wears them really well." I like supporting people and making them feel positive about themselves.

Where I get confused is when someone says, "why don't you give us a call when your in town" - and they really aren't being genuine. I mean, if you want to see me - invite me to call. If you don't want to see me - don't say "give me a call." It won't hurt my feelings not to get the invitation - but if I get the invitation and call - it would hurt my feelings to find out - sometimes rather akwardly - that the invitation was just a social "nicety" and not genuine. :(

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 5:45 pm

LifeOfTheSpectrum wrote:
Women hate lyers but you HAVE to lie when they say "does my bum look big in this."

You can reply "I like the way it looks in this". Maybe it's big, but you (still) like it!

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 5:53 pm

When one person looks at another and pulls a face, just really slightly, conveying something with that face. Sometimes, I notice that they're doing it and I knwo that they mean something, but I'll be darned if I have a clue what it is. Just say it, if you mean something!

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 6:02 pm

Why do they need to shake hands when they meet/see someone? What the hell kind of significance does grabbing someone's hand have?

Apep
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Oct 2009, 6:11 pm

One of the least endearing NT traits is when an NT accuses you of "talking down to them" when you explain something. For example, they provide an answer that is non-responsive. You explain why the answer is not informative and what kind of information you need. This illustrates the NT trait of using communication not so much to communicate information but to fulfill other needs, e.g. reassurance of social position.