Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 5:40 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Then Al Gore got one for writing a book so based on flawed nonsense that he refuses to debate its contents with any qualified member of the academic/scientific community. Another Nobel Prize winner commented that it must be nice to get such a prestigious award for doing nothing but producing a poorly-written book.

The vast majority of the scientific community involved in such studies actually agree with the general idea of climate change/global warming. The only ones who oppose it seem to all be on the bankroll of Petrol companies.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 5:58 pm

Obama Wins Nobel Prize for Peace!
"He's not Bush" - excited committee croons...;)
McCain States "I woulda won too...I woulda...I woulda..;)

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 6:52 pm

^Yeah. I even heard someone today say..."The Not Busch Award" :lol:

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 12:02 am

Honestly they only gave it to Obama as a breath of fresh air there wasn't a dumb**** in the White House this time around. Oh not to mention his peaceful non-mongering attitude that will reshape the perception America had since 9/11 and 2 wars.

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2009, 12:07 am

He won the prize for not being Bush....

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 12:35 am

gamefreak wrote:
Oh not to mention his peaceful non-mongering attitude that will reshape the perception America had since 9/11 and 2 wars.

So long as you ignore the buildup on Iran.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 1:11 am

skafather84 wrote:
gamefreak wrote:
Oh not to mention his peaceful non-mongering attitude that will reshape the perception America had since 9/11 and 2 wars.

And the promise to escalate the war in Afghanistan. And the fact that our soldiers are still fighting and dying and killing in Iraq. And the fact that the torture camp at Guantanamo is still operating, and none of the war criminals of the previous administration are being tried or even investigated.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 4:26 am

Methinks the award is being used as a political boost rather than an acknowledgement.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 8:35 am

Orwell wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
gamefreak wrote:

And the promise to escalate the war in Afghanistan. And the fact that our soldiers are still fighting and dying and killing in Iraq. And the fact that the torture camp at Guantanamo is still operating, and none of the war criminals of the previous administration are being tried or even investigated.

Now thats what pisses me off about Obama. If we had a more in your-face democrat like Ted Kennedy or FDR Cheney and other Bush officials will be in trial right now for war crimes. Nationalized health-care would have not been tied with Max Baucus and a bunch of Blue-Dogs and Centrist that really don't want to change the system. Oh yes and Guantanamo will have already be in the process of shut-down. Hemce FDR's banking holiday right after inauguration.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 10:08 am

Orwell wrote:
I think the Peace prize is just given out arbitrarily to big-name politicians.

Not really, only 2 sitting presidents received the award as well as 2 non-sitting presidents. Even the non-sitting one won it for stuff they did out of office. Hence Jimmy Carter and Al Gore.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 10:12 am

gamefreak wrote:
Orwell wrote:
I think the Peace prize is just given out arbitrarily to big-name politicians.

Not really, only 2 sitting presidents received the award as well as 2 non-sitting presidents. Even the non-sitting one won it for stuff they did out of office. Hence Jimmy Carter and Al Gore.

Jimmuh Carter won the Prize for the Camp David Peace Accord which lasted approximately 18 seconds.

No peace in the Holy Land.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 10:18 am

ruveyn wrote:
No peace in the Holy Land.

Because peace there isn't profitable to the rest of the world. I'm surprised people there haven't realized that basic fact yet.

Guess they're too mired in their own egotism of their victim-hood to notice that they're being used and victimized again.

Self-fulfilling prophecies are the most boring.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 10:18 am

gamefreak wrote:
Now thats what pisses me off about Obama. If we had a more in your-face democrat like Ted Kennedy or FDR Cheney and other Bush officials will be in trial right now for war crimes. Nationalized health-care would have not been tied with Max Baucus and a bunch of Blue-Dogs and Centrist that really don't want to change the system. Oh yes and Guantanamo will have already be in the process of shut-down. Hemce FDR's banking holiday right after inauguration.

The SNL skit made a good point- liberals have more reason to be angry with Obama than conservatives do. If he keeps this up, it'll be a Republican in 2012.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 10:25 am

zer0netgain wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Not really...they gave one to Yasser Arafat before too. Doesn't take much to get one if you're on the international stage, apparently.

Giving one to Yasser Arafat was largely recognized as a political move. Many claimed then it made the Nobel Prize for Peace irrelevant as he was a well-established terrorist.

Then Al Gore got one for writing a book so based on flawed nonsense that he refuses to debate its contents with any qualified member of the academic/scientific community. Another Nobel Prize winner commented that it must be nice to get such a prestigious award for doing nothing but producing a poorly-written book.

Now Barak Obama gets the award for doing nothing but "bringing hope" (essentially all the Nobel committee can point to as Obama wasn't in office long enough to do anything when he was nominated for the prize).

Might as well use the Nobel Prize for Peace to sell toilet paper.

Funny, most of the scientific communities and most other Developed countries besides AMERICA believe in Al Gores Global Warming theories. Its just that almost every president we had in the past years has followed some stupid redneck agenda. (Exception of Clinton and Carter to some extent.) We are one of the few that don't go by the Kyoto Protocol. Have the laxest policy on air pollution in the developed world and so on.

Almost every scientist in the world at least partially blame global warming on CO2 emissions.

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2009, 11:05 am

anna-banana wrote:
give the guy a break, it's not his fault that the nobel prize committee is dumb :P

Maybe they feel the same about you? It´s really easy to criticize someone/something...Why do you think that they are "dumb"?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 11:11 am

gamefreak wrote:
Its just that almost every president we had in the past years has followed some stupid redneck agenda.

It's not the redneck agenda, it's the oil agenda. It's the Match King all over again.