Hi! New/married to aspie 5 yrs/just found out he's aspie

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

latreefarmer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Nov 2009, 11:26 am

First, I did not recommend anything wacky. Eating healthy is good for everyone. There is no doubt it will help some more than others. If a person has digestive problems (as many do on the spectrum), this one suggestion becomes more important. There is a strong relationship between the mind and the digestive system. That is proven. I don't believe in all the experimental treatments parents subject kids too either. Eating healthy is not experimental. Relax, enjoy life a little.
Believe what you want, but I know the first step to feeling better for me involved getting my gut happy.

CRD wrote:
latreefarmer wrote:
Might I recommend a total rebirthing of sorts? I discovered the spectrum and it's influences on my family a few years ago. I am still trying to figure out all the ways I can better deal with life, my spouse, my kids, etc.
As an NT (can I assume you are?), you probably will not ever totally understand how their mind works, all you can do is listen, and try to be understanding.
The earlier post about trying to help relieve stress and anxiety are very important. For me, that invloves first and foremost diet. I have discovered that my mental condition is heavily influenced by my digestive health. We have changed our diet to include as few processed foods as possible, no HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), minimize the artificial colors, and just eat fresh foods when possible, without preservatives. You would be surprise how much better eating healthy will make everyone feel (including you).
Secondly, look into sensory issues and if they seem stressed when overstimulated. Research sensory integration issues and see if any of that sounds familiar. Noisy environemnts, lots of bright lights, too much video games, etc can all create meltdowns.
Determine whether they need space or if they need to be held when they are stressed. different people have different needs, but figuring it out and meeting those needs can greatly shorten the stressful times.

First off please, please please don't try that wacky rebirthing thing it only A. makes the kid feel there is something wroung with him at best and B has cause deaths so not a good idea. Most games give a welcome relese from the very stress full real would and pulling the plug on a kid would only cause more stress and pissed off teen. I have never read on relyable study about food dyes and corn syrup causing meltdown sure we all want our kids to eat better but to pull all the junk out of the diet again will just sever to piss the kid off and when most asspies have a limited diet due to senory isuses it can be far more trouble then it's worth. Have a his room being his own quite world isn't a bad idea and my sons remove themselfs from the family spaces and go to there own rooms when they are about to have a melt down until they feel they are able to rejoin the us. It's not a punishment it's a coping thing. Talk to your stepson about what he feels will help him a note pad to wright down his homework on a punching bag somewere in the house to take anger out on what ever he feels is needed thats resonable. Talk to him about what he wants from life and ways to go about helping him make it happen. This so all be done with out jugment in a quiet we're asking because your imporant to us sort of way. Best of luck and welcome to WP :D

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 11:41 am

I was mistaken but what you ment by rebrithing I thought you were talking about when the rap a kid up in heavy bankets and pillows and make then fight there way out while people push on them and yell at them. Thats what I think is wacky not eating better :) . It might be very useful for this family to see if there are any food isuses by seeing an allergists my sons behvoir improved by leaps and bounds when we found out he was lactose intolerance and got him on a probiotic and changed his diet.