Has an instructor ever HATED you?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 10:54 pm

I swear, from day one, this instructor just had it in for me. I don't know what his problem is, but his body language, his tone of voice when I speak to him, his expressions, his mild sarcasm, his terse way of answering anything I ask when I deal with him one on one, his refusing to look up from his Ipod when I come to his office, his snide little "Hi..." when he sees who it is... there's no denying it- he has something against me. I've wondered if I said something to offend him, but I think back on the few conversations with him and I can't imagine what could've been said wrong. I watch him with other students and he's himself, all gestures and humor and easy going. With me.... ugh. I try to be friendly, but it's just gotten much worse.

I'm trying to switch out to another instructor's class, one who I've already spoken with and told him the situation. He's also, coincidentally, the head of the department, so the complaint's already been lodged in a sense. I just don't know what he has against me. This has happened to me only one other time, (two if you count a situation with a supervisor.)

Does this ever happen to you?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 11:17 pm

It has happened a few times...

quantum42
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Oct 2009, 12:04 am

I've had many people (that we call experts) in job centres, on training schemes, courses, just drop me for no reason, no explanation. I'm still struggling to understand why. I guess its just the NT way. It is time these experts stopped their mysterious subfertuge and had their jobs taken off them.

X_Parasite
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 12:05 am

I once had a teacher in a private school who wanted me gone, so she lied that I had threatened to poison her. The people in charge believed her.
She got her way and I was gone.
Such an action is unforgivable, but no matter how much I wanted to track her down and remove her eyes with yogurt spoons, that was unavailable to me.

School sucks.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 2:28 am

X_Parasite wrote:
I once had a teacher in a private school who wanted me gone, so she lied that I had threatened to poison her. The people in charge believed her.

ZOMG 8O I had an American History teacher who hated me both in and out of class and made up a few lies, but nothing *that* bad.

X_Parasite wrote:
...no matter how much I wanted to track her down and remove her eyes with yogurt spoons, that was unavailable to me.

Yeah--there are never yogurt spoons handy when you need them most. :D

thegreatpretender
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Oct 2009, 8:56 am

I think you are supposed to show deference in subtle ways when speaking to people in position in "authority".
Otherwise, they feel threatened and react defensively. This defensiveness may in turn be seen as aggressive.

This include teachers, civil servants, PAs, etc. Whoever can make a decision that can make your life easier .. or harder.

I normally tend to treat everyone in the same way, which means I also used to get in trouble with these people.
It is now much better, as I am conscious of this issue, and therefore adapt my behavior for the interaction to be more productive.

When I was about 15, many teachers did not like me. I guess the constant questioning of so-called "obvious" assumptions was not welcomed. The exception were hard science and mathematics teachers who actually enjoyed it (with one notable exception). I suppose teachers in these areas are naturally more attracted to "truth" than status.

The interesting bit for me is that the same questioning behavior was welcomed by all when I was a smaller child (6-10). I guess at that age, it is cute and is not mistaken for teenage rebellion against authority,
I wonder if by disclosing autism, I would get the same sort of allowance as an adult for curious behavior. This way people would know that I am not playing mind game or trying to embarrass them.

.... The only problem is that is what everybody is claiming (not to play mind games, and not to try to embarrass people) :-).....

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2009, 6:51 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:

Yeah.

The first thing I look for is to see if the prof treats lots of people that way or if it appears that it's just me. If it's just me, I drop the class like a hot potato and never take another class from that prof (unless I need a class for my degree and that's the only prof who ever teaches it.) If it's lots of people or everybody, I "grin and bear it," reminding myself that it's not personal, the prof is just a jerk to everyone.

On the flip side, when I find a prof who seems to be able to put up with me or even *gasp* likes me, I take every class they teach that I possibly can.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

gnosislogicemotion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Oct 2009, 8:22 pm

I never ask questions in class, go to office hours, or otherwise have any real contact with the professor so it rarely happens to me but it bothers me to even go to that class when it has happened to me (2 times).

The source is bright and endless.
She resuscitates the hopeless.
Without her we are lifeless satellites.&a

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2009, 9:35 pm

I'm not a question-asker either (there are exceptions: I tend to ask "why is this not true?" a lot in linear algebra, but that class is just counterintuitive): I think it's just due to that there are people in most of my classes who actually ask good questions, and I don't feel like competing. That being said, all the teachers I have had in high school and college who hated me hated everyone else. So I think this bogs down to an English teacher in ninth grade and a drafting teacher in tenth. For the drafting class, think of /b/ on 4chan, but in classroom format and with grades determined by how much the teacher likes you. Somehow I managed out with a 'B' because I could actually do technical drawings, unlike half my class.

gnosislogicemotion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Oct 2009, 9:36 pm

Quote:
I'm not a question-asker either (there are exceptions: I tend to ask "why is this not true?" a lot in linear algebra, but that class is just counterintuitive)

Really? I thought linear algebra was pretty uhhh you know... linear. I personally never ask question because I either understand completely or I'm so confused I don't even know what to ask. It would be something like: "So uhh that dealie right there... yeah yeah that dealie. So ehhhh.... what is that and what does that have to do with that thingy over there.. yeah that thingy above that jazz on the left."

Quote:
For the drafting class, think of /b/ on 4chan, but in classroom format and with grades determined by how much the teacher likes you.

>For drafting class, think of /b/ on 4chan, but in classroom format
>think of /b/ on 4chan, but in classroom format
>/b/
>classroom format

lolwut.jpg

Laney2005
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Oct 2009, 9:54 pm

Abraham Lincoln once said: "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power". I found this out when looking up quotations about power because I was trying to understand why the head of the department I am in seems to really dislike me. Right now, I'm avoiding her. I peek around corners to see if she's coming and walk past her office with my head facing the opposite wall. The best advice I've got is to avoid this instructor as much as you can without actually dodging into empty classrooms. If you can find anyone else that your instructor is not treating right, go to someone higher up (together) and lodge a complaint. You would think that "successful", well-educated people would stop acting like middle schoolers, but that's just not the case. Good luck.

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2009, 10:13 pm

gnosislogicemotion wrote:
Really? I thought linear algebra was pretty uhhh you know... linear. I personally never ask question because I either understand completely or I'm so confused I don't even know what to ask. It would be something like: "So uhh that dealie right there... yeah yeah that dealie. So ehhhh.... what is that and what does that have to do with that thingy over there.. yeah that thingy above that jazz on the left."

You're thinking of what we call "Matrix Algebra". All closed-cut algorithms given for students to sing, learn, and digest. Our linear algebra course is a proper rigorous, abstract, proof-based one that uses a lot of principles of abstract algebra.

You need to be able to ask good questions, though, when dealing with math professors, because otherwise they'll assume you as well think that a nontrivial result is trivial. It's just that I am not as good at formulating them as my peers, because they are typically one step ahead of the material. I mean, there's one dude who's read the textbook almost cover-to-cover, and I refuse to get confused by its alternate explanations and shoddy proofs.

ashmeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2009, 11:47 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I swear, from day one, this instructor just had it in for me. I don't know what his problem is, but his body language, his tone of voice when I speak to him, his expressions, his mild sarcasm, his terse way of answering anything I ask when I deal with him one on one, his refusing to look up from his Ipod when I come to his office, his snide little "Hi..." when he sees who it is... there's no denying it- he has something against me. I've wondered if I said something to offend him, but I think back on the few conversations with him and I can't imagine what could've been said wrong. I watch him with other students and he's himself, all gestures and humor and easy going. With me.... ugh. I try to be friendly, but it's just gotten much worse.

I'm trying to switch out to another instructor's class, one who I've already spoken with and told him the situation. He's also, coincidentally, the head of the department, so the complaint's already been lodged in a sense. I just don't know what he has against me. This has happened to me only one other time, (two if you count a situation with a supervisor.)

Does he know of your Aspergers 'cause if this instructor knows, then obviously he hates you because of your Aspergers.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 5:51 pm

I've had it the other way around, I can't stand the teacher at all (though I don't think he liked me much because I wouldn't follow his little mind games)

gnosislogicemotion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Oct 2009, 8:08 pm

Quote:
You're thinking of what we call "Matrix Algebra". All closed-cut algorithms given for students to sing, learn, and digest. Our linear algebra course is a proper rigorous, abstract, proof-based one that uses a lot of principles of abstract algebra.

No, I was talking about the hxc linear algebra with all the theorems built up from axioms and all that jazz :P

Quote:
You need to be able to ask good questions, though, when dealing with math professors, because otherwise they'll assume you as well think that a nontrivial result is trivial.

I'm just as bad as the professors in my H.W. at leaving out details in implications and such. If I meet a math problem I can't solve, then I just obsess over it constantly in the back of my head until gets worked out. Asking questions in class is over-rated.