Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Audiophile
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2009, 7:14 pm

My dad had me stand at best buy all night for this tv and I'm a bit pissed now.

The TV sports a VGA port for connecting a computer and 640X480 all the way to 1920X1080 is supported. I can't for the life of me get this tv to see the signal being sent. I can confirm the laptop works by testing on another monitor I have. I need help with that greatly.

Also, all in a sudden in the time I was fiddling with my laptop to get the tv to see it, somehow HDMI 1 now doesn't receive audio. Just video, it worked fine before I messed around. Dad's pissed.

why does this crap happen?

P.S it's a Sony Bravia KDL-32S5100

carzak
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Nov 2009, 7:52 pm

You will probably get better advice in the appropriate section of avsforum.com

Audiophile
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2009, 1:42 am

Fixed it, brand new cable was bad, still can't get over that new things don't always work. Got another one it works fine. Except the tv won't support 1920X1080 even though it's a 1080p tv that says it'll support.

But it works and Its flipping awesome. http://i47.tinypic.com/28v9bib.jpg

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 5:14 pm

1. Set the TV for PC input (that's how my parent's LCD TV works).

2. That is SUPPORTS a resolution means the incoming signal needs to be set to that. Your computer/video out part (if your PC or laptop supports 2 monitors) has to be set to that setting. It can be a pain if your laptop display goes higher or lower as its default but the TV can go higher. There is a way to set a laptop display and the TV out resolutions to different levels, but you have to set the desktop so that you don't mirror contents on both displays.

In short, you can reach the potential of the TV, but the odds are it's the video coming out of your laptop/PC that's not configured right.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 6:48 pm

Audiophile wrote:
Fixed it, brand new cable was bad, still can't get over that new things don't always work. Got another one it works fine. Except the tv won't support 1920X1080 even though it's a 1080p tv that says it'll support.

But it works and Its flipping awesome. http://i47.tinypic.com/28v9bib.jpg

We put a man on the moon but we can't make a decent cable.

And I hate this situation too. I always have issues with getting a signal between two devices by way of cable. There was a couple times where I wanted to hook up my iPod to my XBox 360 via USB (this was a major feature boasted about when the console came out), and although I could get the music to play on my console from the iPod, I can't view videos. Nice.

It's also bullcrap about cable prices. I will have to pay at least 60 bucks for an HDMI cable so that I can hook up my computer to my TV in order to use its Blu-Ray drive, and I don't even plan on using it that much. I rarely rent or buy movies, much less Blu-Rays in particular. I guess it doesn't matter, Blu-Ray isn't gonna have the chance to completely replace DVDs before they come out with its successor that is supposedly already in development (or so I've read).

Audiophile
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2009, 1:48 am

Yeah I found out how expensive HDMI cables are. It's basically an updated version of coax cable from back in the cable tv days when you didn't use a set top box to get tv.

So why charge alot? Is it because you can sync devices to work together? I noticed that feature when I was messing around in the settings of the tv, plus whenever the tv turns on, the tuner box spins up it's hard drive and the HD light turns on.

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2010, 3:43 pm

You can get HDMI Cables Cheaper online.