Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2009, 7:42 pm

I tend to walk around alot with my hands in my pockets. This is normal for males but not females (Why I have NO IDEA!) So I started thinking perhaps it's a stim or a comforting mechanism as I call it to deal with stress or whatever. I don't want to bang into people so I have my hands in my pocket but even walking around the house I do this. :-) Thanks WP.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2009, 7:45 pm

I do that, too. I've worn right through my pockets a few times.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2009, 7:53 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I tend to walk around alot with my hands in my pockets. This is normal for males but not females (Why I have NO IDEA!) So I started thinking perhaps it's a stim or a comforting mechanism as I call it to deal with stress or whatever. I don't want to bang into people so I have my hands in my pocket but even walking around the house I do this. :-) Thanks WP.

Sounds like a stim, since the purpose of a stim is sensory input. In this case, that would come from the sensation of the material the pockets are made out of.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 8:41 am

It depends on why you do it.
If you do it to stimulate the senses, it might be a stim.

See also: Stim

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 12:49 pm

I always have to have my hands in my pockets, or be keeping my hands busy with something, even if it's just flapping them around.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 2:08 pm

I like putting my hands in my pockets when I don't know where to put them. Sometimes it feels awkward having my hands hanging down at the sides. It is a stim if when your hand is in the pocket, you rub hand/fingers against the fabric of the pocket or fidget with any objects that are in there.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.