Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

GreyGhost
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2009, 3:55 am

:( I hate my job. I work as a nurse aid. It is all about multitasking and working with people. These are both things I suck at. I'm going to quit but I have to completely change my lifestyle to do it. I am hoping these changes will bring good in my life but change is still scary and disturbing. Now that I have accpeted I have AS I have a better idea of what my needs are but I don't know a lot about different kinds of jobs. Are there special programs for people with AS who are looking to get a job or change jobs?

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 9:13 am

There are, but the best way to find them is through a case manager (least that's how i got mine). There should be some sort of Autism support organization (just google for one in your state and find the closest contact) and then they can direct you. However, a lot of these organizations require an official Dx so make sure that is taken care of and/or you're able to refer them to the person who did Dx you. However, given the economy, dont be shocked if it takes several months to find something that fits you. In the meantime, you could probably ask around at your current job and see what positions are open that could be less stressful (ie doing lab work or something).

TheMinnesotaIceman
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2009, 10:45 pm

GreyGhost wrote:
It is all about multitasking and working with people. These are both things I suck at.

Me, too. The former is the main reason I can't drive. I heard that a lot of aspies can't drive, for the same (or a similar) reason. Can you?

As for your job, I hope you can find something that is both enjoyable and pays well. I haven't had a job in over five years.

metalrockpwnmusic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2010, 12:16 pm

I f*****g Despise my job to death. I mean when I first started I was all happy and gung-ho and whatnot. But now, I really hate it with a passion for a few reasons. 1. My boss is a f*****g dick 2. The long hours are trying my patience 3. The hour and a half commutes are boring as s**t 4. I just now find my job completely boring and 5. The company alone is disorganized. So right now i'm in the midst of trying to find another job in the painting, construction, or landscaping industry, but the only f*****g problem is most of them require you have a valid driver's licence and I DON'T EVEN HAVE A GODDAMN f*****g DRIVER'S LICENCE FOR f**k SAKES!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I'm just really hoping that something comes up, I mean i've already sent at least 2 copies of my cover letter to painting company adds I found on craigslist and I hope to get a response. I also feel trapped at my job since i'm miserable, angry, and pissed off, I won't be surprised if I get fired since I am slow at times, or if things get very bad then I will have no other choice but to quit. I mean my boss is nothing more than a bully, an ass, a hypocrite, a hothead, an idiot, takes me for granted, expects too much. I mean I just hate everything about my job, and either way if I find another job or if he fires my ass, I will at least be safe from his tyrannical ass and relieved of the stress that keeps building up. I mean I always go to work feeling in a sh***y mood. I'm sure i'm not alone, when people do hate their jobs they go to work feeling angry, sad, miserable, etc etc etc. I just gotta hope for the best. Should I get fired, well at least it's not the end of the world, but it will be annoying as s**t to find myself another job and you can expect a long rant on the things I hate about my job and the mistakes my job constantly makes.

Audiophile
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2010, 6:42 pm

TheMinnesotaIceman wrote:
Me, too. The former is the main reason I can't drive. I heard that a lot of aspies can't drive, for the same (or a similar) reason. Can you?

I can, but I space out alot and have had ALOT of close calls. Which is why I have found that adding a music has helped immensely.