Medical School -Discovering I had autism+school from my view

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

styphon
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2010, 4:47 pm

background:. I was developmentally delayed, severe speech problem. So much so that they thought I was mentally ret*d and was put in special education. My mother even signed a release paper and a researcher put out a "Case review" article about my condition(my mom doesn't remeber what I was diagnosed as). I then scored in the top 1% on math and reading a standardized state wide test, much to my school administrators surprise, and was allowed to be with the normal classes. At 12 y/o I became depressed and have continued to battle with depression for almost 2 decades.

The presentI am almost finished medical school, 3 more months and people will have to call me doctor and magically I will be treated with more respect. How does this relate to this forum?

Well for years I was told by family/friends that I had aspergers but I just brushed them off thinking they were trying to fit me in an easily explained box. Then during my second year of medical school, psychiatry block, I was reading articles stuck in our notes because I was having trouble focusing. The article was from the NY times and was about the journalist discovering he had aspergers and how much it explained his life. The article made me very upset, so much so that there were tears coming down my face, because of how much I identified with the writer. I was upset that all these features that I thought were unique and that my mindset was just wierd. I talked to the head of psychiatry who scheduled an appointment to see me. We talked, and she agreed that I had aspergers or a form of high-functioning autism. This was a little surprising as I have seen psychiatrists for 18 years pretty much constantly, been diagnosed as Major depression(duh), OCD, Bipolar(oh come on), schizotypal but never autism.

Now, I am more accepting of it, except I become very angry when I see "cure autism" commercials. I tell people without even thinking that I have aspergers and I have had different reactions. From good: "oooh thats why you act like that/said that" to bad: a line on one of my evaluation forms "Cannot keep a professional distance from clinical staff". I have also had different experiences from my classmates and have been shaped in different ways because of my mind structure.

Beyond Oddly. The same course director who diagnosed me having aspergers also "2 pced" me, meaning committed me to a mental hospital against my will, a year later *AND* was my psychiatry clinical course director. She suggested I write an article about Aspergers and medical school.. But my writing skills, as you have experienced, don't really trap and interest readers.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 8:34 pm

Congratulation, Dr. Styphon :P

It's good that you overcame your conditions to be what you are today. Some friends of mine with ASD (are they ignorant or what?) commented that people with ASDs 'do not belong to medical school'. Now you proved them wrong. :) Great!

Not to worry, just be yourself and write about your experiences as they are. I am more than happy to read them.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 8:39 pm

I dunno, with recurrent depression "overcome" just is not in the vocabulary, unless you want to be in denial or something. In my experience, you don't "overcome" anything, you just learn to live with it and deal with the inevitable recurrences before they turn nasty.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 9:08 pm

Callista wrote:
I dunno, with recurrent depression "overcome" just is not in the vocabulary, unless you want to be in denial or something. In my experience, you don't "overcome" anything, you just learn to live with it and deal with the inevitable recurrences before they turn nasty.

Live to deal with it...

Hmm, this would be a better term to use.

Thanks. :)

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2010, 9:19 pm

Quote:
I was developmentally delayed, severe speech problem. So much so that they thought I was mentally ret*d and was put in special education…

The present: I am almost finished medical school, 3 more months and people will have to call me doctor

Bravo! I had classic autistic behavior until the age of 11 or 12, and only then started seriously connecting with the outside world. Thereafter, I became an accomplished, if eccentric, student - to everyone's shock and amazement.

Anyway, I associate with your story, which truly made my day. Thanks for posting.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2010, 9:23 pm

Yeah, isn't it stupid the way they stereotype us as kids? It's like they try to predict your entire life from the little twitches and habits you have when you're two. Could anything be more shortsighted?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

styphon
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2011, 10:47 am

Callista wrote:

This is an old post, but whatever.

You are correct, after something like 3 major depressive disorder re-occurences the percent of re-occuring depression enters into the 90s. I fit the majority and go in and out of depressive episodes despite my station in life. I battle with intense self destructive urges even as I guide families and patients thru very hard times. I hold someones hand as they are dying even though I have thoughts of death myself. But that does not change what I have accomplished in my life.