Page 1 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 10:08 pm

"DSM-V: The Future Manual
The new DSM5.org Web site, which will include proposed revisions and draft diagnostic criteria, has been rescheduled for launch on Wednesday, February 10, 2010."

http://www.psych.org/MainMenu/Research/DSMIV/DSMV.aspx

For a technical discussion/summary of the last conference that was held regarding revisions to the diagnostic criteria for ASD/PDD, see:
http://www.psych.org/MainMenu/Research/ ... rence.aspx

From a quick scan, it looks to me as if the criteria will be more inclusive, as well as easier for clinicians to use.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 10:11 pm

There have been threads on this, but I thought someone said it was pushed back to 2013.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:04 am

Looks like the website with the proposed changes is coming out next month, but the final version of the actual text won't be out till 2013: "A release of the final, approved DSM-V is expected in May 2013."

Still, the website and its proposed changes will give us a good idea of what the expected changes will be.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 5:16 am

This is so horrible, the thing they do is really damaging to everyone with AS.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 8:28 am

I do not see anything particularly problematic about what is suggested, much less "slow death by brain cancer" worthy.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 9:06 am

It seems that it will be 3 more years before I can tell this to my friend, 'according to the DSM-V, I think you have Asperger's Syndrome as you fit the criteria stated in the manual. Why don't you do a proper analysis, undiagnosed Aspie?' :lol:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 9:56 am

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Uhhh... how?! I am very glad they are merging it with autism; it's about time they stopped with the artificial diagnostic boundaries. It's not like the Aspies won't have a diagnosis anymore. It's just going to be recognized as what it's been all along--autism without a speech delay. Plus, it'll solve the glaring PDD-NOS problem.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 10:00 am

Callista wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Uhhh... how?! I am very glad they are merging it with autism; it's about time they stopped with the artificial diagnostic boundaries. It's not like the Aspies won't have a diagnosis anymore. It's just going to be recognized as what it's been all along--autism without a speech delay.

Glad that AS is finally recognised as it should be --- part of ASD!

I look forward to the publishing of DSM-V.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 11:57 am

Callista wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Uhhh... how?! I am very glad they are merging it with autism; it's about time they stopped with the artificial diagnostic boundaries. It's not like the Aspies won't have a diagnosis anymore. It's just going to be recognized as what it's been all along--autism without a speech delay. Plus, it'll solve the glaring PDD-NOS problem.

You don't understand, aspies will get far more handicapped, and they will undoubtedly be viewed as sub-humans.

Aspergers doesn't only improve your voice, but also your theory of mind, you understand jokes, humour, the he-looks-like-(insertnamehere)-jokes; (Hello, (insertnamehere). I'm to smart to have autism, I don't meltdown, I don't rock back and forth, etc.

Here's some things that aspies don't do, and can learn not to do;

- Eye contact (can learn)
- Body language (can learn)
- Lack of slang (autism only, unless the aspie thinks it's not polite).
- Lack of under standing sarcasm (I'm 99% sure that it's an autsim problem, I have encountered several people from autism to HFA, and most of them didn't understand if I mocked them with an undertone, but my aspie friends did).
- Inability to take another's perspective (to imagine oneself in someone else's shoes). I can understand other people's feelings, so it doesn't always have to relate to aspies.

Before I start on some "proffesional" words, I'm going to say that autism is way more visible than AS from an early age.

Now, for the words;

1. Autistic People Rarely Lie
We all claim to value the truth, but almost all of us tell little white lies. All, that is, except people on the autism spectrum. To them, truth is truth -- and a good word from a person on the spectrum is the real deal.

This doesn't have anything with autism to do, NT's, psychopathic NT's, sociopathic NT's, they may tell white lies anytime, what kind of clustered, brain-damaged bully victim came up with this?

2. People with Autism Rarely Judge Others
Who's fatter? Richer? Smarter? For people on the autism spectrum, these distinctions hold much less importance than for typical folks. In fact, people on the spectrum often see through such surface appearances to discover the real person.

I don't know if they directly talked to aspies here, but I'm an aspie, I judge people by their clothes, hairstyle, way of speaking, humorous sense, where they come from, what religion they worship, if they're rich or poor, if they're fat or thin, etc., so no, wrong again.

This should distinguish AS from autism, no one can argue with the facts.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 12:27 pm

Anyway, I didn't mean to offend anyone, just to prove some facts.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:08 pm

I really dread the day that it's going to come out. AS is not a fake condition. :(

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:13 pm

I really think you should click on the link I provided before you go making assumptions. The information presented is technical and lengthy, but if you really care about this issue, you owe it to yourself to have correct information.

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jan 2010, 1:38 pm

I think it's a great idea to merge AS with the ASD diagnosis. Then people with AS will be more recognised as being on the spectrum and will not have to explain things like 'I have AS, it's like a high functioning autism.' or 'I have AS, it's part of the autistic spectrum.' Now they can just say I am a high functioning autistic. I think it will also be beneficial for people who don't fit completely into either the autistic disorder criteria or the Aspergers Syndrome criteria. They will now be recognised as being on the autistic spectrum.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:41 pm

__biro wrote:
I think it's a great idea to merge AS with the ASD diagnosis. Then people with AS will be more recognised as being on the spectrum

There are people with AS who can pass as NT's, far from every aspie gets diagnosed, so, being mroe recognized as one on the spectrum will not improve anything.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:45 pm

"You don't understand, aspies will get far more handicapped, and they will undoubtedly be viewed as sub-humans."

We're already percieved as sub-humans. The idea of merging the spectrum is so that people with all forms of autism will be recognised. Besides, it's more accurate because AS does happen to be on the autism spectrum.

"Aspergers doesn't only improve your voice, but also your theory of mind, you understand jokes, humour, the he-looks-like-(insertnamehere)-jokes; (Hello, (insertnamehere)."

You make AS sound like a vitamin tablet (by the way, AS does not necessarily improve these abilities).

"I'm to smart to have autism, I don't meltdown, I don't rock back and forth, etc."

What does rocking and flapping have to do with intelligence? By the way, I know people with autistic disorder who are geniuses and by contrast, I know Aspies who are complete dumbasses. Also, aspies flap, rock, head bang, etc as well.

"Here's some things that aspies don't do, and can learn not to do;

- Eye contact (can learn)"
I have friends with AD who have learned eye contact.

"- Body language (can learn)"

Same with my friends with AD.

"- Lack of slang (autism only, unless the aspie thinks it's not polite)."
Are you kidding me? One of my friends with classic autism ONLY seems to talk in slang while I usually don't understand slang.

"- Lack of under standing sarcasm (I'm 99% sure that it's an autsim problem, I have encountered several people from autism to HFA, and most of them didn't understand if I mocked them with an undertone, but my aspie friends did)."
I struggle with sarcasm (particularly if it's deadpan). My diagnosis is AS.

"- Inability to take another's perspective (to imagine oneself in someone else's shoes). I can understand other people's feelings, so it doesn't always have to relate to aspies."

One of the triads of impairments for any autism spectrum disorder is lack of empathy.

"Before I start on some "proffesional" words, I'm going to say that autism is way more visible than AS from an early age"

Not always. The onset and visibility of my symptoms were quite early.

"Now, for the words;

We all claim to value the truth, but almost all of us tell little white lies. All, that is, except people on the autism spectrum. To them, truth........"

This is all irrelevent and mostly untrue.

"This should distinguish AS from autism, no one can argue with the facts."

Except that it doesn't. Sorry.

Last edited by MindBlind on 17 Jan 2010, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2010, 1:46 pm

MindBlind wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

You don't understand, aspies will get far more handicapped, and they will undoubtedly be viewed as sub-humans.
Quote:

We're already percieved as sub-humans. The idea of merging the spectrum is so that people with all forms of autism will be recognised. Besides, it's more accurate because AS does happen to be on the autism spectrum.

Aspergers doesn't only improve your voice, but also your theory of mind, you understand jokes, humour, the he-looks-like-(insertnamehere)-jokes; (Hello, (insertnamehere).

You make AS sound like a vitamin tablet (by the way, AS does not necessarily improve these abilities).

Quote:
I'm to smart to have autism, I don't meltdown, I don't rock back and forth, etc.
Quote:

What does rocking and flapping have to do with intelligence? By the way, I know people with autistic disorder who are geniuses and by contrast, I know Aspies who are complete dumbasses. Also, aspies flap, rock, head bang, etc as well.

Here's some things that aspies don't do, and can learn not to do;

- Eye contact (can learn)
Quote:
I have friends with AD who have learned eye contact.

- Body language (can learn)
Quote:

Same with my friends with AD.

- Lack of slang (autism only, unless the aspie thinks it's not polite).
Quote:
Are you kidding me? One of my friends with classic autism ONLY seems to talk in slang while I usually don't understand slang.

- Lack of under standing sarcasm (I'm 99% sure that it's an autsim problem, I have encountered several people from autism to HFA, and most of them didn't understand if I mocked them with an undertone, but my aspie friends did).
Quote:
I struggle with sarcasm (particularly if it's deadpan). My diagnosis is AS.

- Inability to take another's perspective (to imagine oneself in someone else's shoes). I can understand other people's feelings, so it doesn't always have to relate to aspies.
Quote:

One of the triads of impairments for any autism spectrum disorder is lack of empathy.

Before I start on some "proffesional" words, I'm going to say that autism is way more visible than AS from an early age.

Not always. The onset and visibility of my symptoms were quite early.

Quote:
Now, for the words;

We all claim to value the truth, but almost all of us tell little white lies. All, that is, except people on the autism spectrum. To them, truth........
Quote:
"

This is all irrelevent and mostly untrue.

This should distinguish AS from autism, no one can argue with the facts.

Except that it doesn't. Sorry.[/quote]

Try looking up "successful aspies" on google.