Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2010, 3:58 am

I wish. Interplay has been having a lot of trouble for the past few years. They sold the rights to Fallout to Bethesda (which is why they made fallout 3). Part of the deal however was that Interplay would get the rights to create an MMO in the setting, with a caveat that they had to secure funding and start full scale work by specific dates. The issue is extremely complicated. Bethesda did put forward a claim for court that Interplay were in breach of contract. Interplay have put the same claim back towards Bethesda. Been a lot of legal tennis between them since last year.

It seems to me like Bethesda wants full control of the IP. However they did not do the setting justice in Fallout 3 (it was a fun game but it definitely was not a fallout game, maybe in name but not heart).

Interplay seems to really want to make the MMO but due to financial trouble are having difficulty.

IMO Bethesda are playing dirty. Trying to bring Interplay to the point where there only option is to sell all rights to Bethesda. I really hope that the MMO (that Fallout deserves to be) does finally get made but if Bethesda keep holding things up with dubious legal claims it may never be.

Ravenitrius
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 4:26 am

Well, Bethesda has some really stupid lawyers. I been catching up and reading the transcripts of the case.

Number One Fallout Fans Community Site since the 90s.

Here's a piece :P.

Quote:
Q. Well, quality MMOGs can be created with a lot less people, can't they?
A. None that I can point to. I don't know if you point to any. If you can point me to some, I'd like to hear them.
Q. Who is Matt Frior [Firor - ed]?
A. Matt is the President of ZeniMax Online Studios.
Q. He created an MMOG that was critically acclaimed with 25 people in 18 months, didn't he?
A. I don't know that to be a fact.
Q. You don't? It's all over the internet.
THE COURT: Okay. Don't argue with the witness, please.
MR. MARBURY: Objection, Your Honor.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2010, 1:39 pm

Wow nice link, definitely going to read that site up.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 2:43 pm

I really, really hope Interplay wins this battle.

I honestly don't care for MMOs at all, but if that leaked screenshot(s) I saw really was from what Interplay is doing, it looks 100x more Falloutish than anything Bethesda could ever hope to do.

Which is probably why they're trying to supress it :x