I Mentioned Aspergers on a Cover Letter--At a PR Firm

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 12:42 am

Mentioning Aspergers on a cover letter to a resume is a complete no-no in most careers. However, I did it when applying to the last type of company I'd ever mention it to--a public relations firm. You see, the PR firm works on a government-run web portal for disabled people, and the company said they wanted someone with a disability. I gave them mine, not because I really wanted the job, but because I just wanted to see their reaction.
They ended up liking me and my work. I go in for a second interview tomorrow, and I feel pretty confident. Again, I may not take the job, for a whole host of reasons. But who knew that I could mention Aspergers in the most social of workplaces, and they are at least willing to give me a fair review? It gives me hope for our future.

rabryst
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2010, 2:17 am

That is fantastic news. Clearly it's appropriate in this context. Good luck with the process.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 3:32 am

That is so counter-intuitive, yet awesome for you! I hope even if you hate it, they still at least offer you the job. Good luck!

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

robinhood
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2010, 4:30 am

Yay!!

I mentioned it for my psychotherapy training, and I was expecting to get puzzled looks, and some sort of "but you guys don't have empathy" response. But it's actually worked out really well for me. Seems like people are gradually becoming enlightened about it.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 12:03 pm

So I did interview for them, and I ended up liking the company. And they ended up liking me a lot! I'm not sure if I can balance being a full-time student with a part-time job and an internship, but who cares? This whole experience has me pleasantly surprised.

rabryst
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2010, 2:41 pm

I've juggled studying and working, both full time. It's easier when you're younger, and definitely worth it.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 3:38 pm

Good!
Learning to deal with your limited time is important, but you will learn that. Important thing is to take your rest and structure your time when possible.

It can be also a good step to other jobs, being a student with a job like this is good for your resume.

Alan314159
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2010, 4:20 pm

Glad that worked out for you.
In a similar vein, I have to give a presentation as part of an interview that, amongst other things, should cover "Why I am suited to a career in IT". Personally I think that AS equips me with a lot of the necessary attributes, and I'd be interested to get people's opinions on whether it would be a good or bad thing to mention in passing.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 9:59 pm

Alan314159 wrote:
Glad that worked out for you.
In a similar vein, I have to give a presentation as part of an interview that, amongst other things, should cover "Why I am suited to a career in IT". Personally I think that AS equips me with a lot of the necessary attributes, and I'd be interested to get people's opinions on whether it would be a good or bad thing to mention in passing.

It depends, I think. Most educated people are not hostile to those with AS, but AS has very specific connotations to them. If you choose to mention it, show them why AS makes you better qualified. For instance, say something like "AS forces me to be a rigorous, systematic thinker who gets involved in a task." Say that it can hamper your communication from time to time, but that there are ways around that. And there are ways around it. Even if you don't land that job, at least you'll force them to look at AS in a new light.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 10:14 pm

Asterisp wrote:
Good!
Learning to deal with your limited time is important, but you will learn that. Important thing is to take your rest and structure your time when possible.

It can be also a good step to other jobs, being a student with a job like this is good for your resume.

I agree with you. When I said I couldn't balance two jobs with school, I didn't mean to say I couldn't. I'm just not sure, because I have never done anything like that before. That being said, this internship is not a good investment of my time for other reasons. I am seriously considering taking on writing gigs, though.

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2010, 10:23 pm

Eventually people will learn that they need to deal with these differences because if we AS people don't get an opportunity to do cool jobs, we will be stuck with unsatisfying, midiochre jobs that are not really careers. If we get good grades and we just waste our time and get a 4.0 GPA in a Bachelors Degree, to find out that we can only work at Wal Mart, then that is not fair for us to get real careers which some of us are intellectually capable of doing, or even better then some NTs in the certain professions we want to get into. Law Firms, Hospitals That Look For Doctors, Accounting Firms, Investment Banking Firms, Financial Planning Firms, IT Firms, Engineering Firms, Asset Management Firms, Insurance Companies, Management Consulting Firms, Real Estate Agent Offices and so on need to get used to the fact that there will be people of our kind seeking jobs in their field and they need to adapt and we can learn these things on our own eventually.

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2010, 4:09 am

rabryst wrote:
That is fantastic news. Clearly it's appropriate in this context. Good luck with the process.

Thats cool . Hope you get the job?

And I agree with rabryst, appropriate to say 'I have aspergers" here.

but when is it not appropriate to say it?... all other times?

So many talented people not being utilised. I know of super smart people working in warehouses :(

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 7:42 pm

kiwi wrote:
rabryst wrote:

So many talented people not being utilised. I know of super smart people working in warehouses :(

My social skills have gotten good enough where I know what to say and when to say it. I can fake being normal, but it's still faking for me. It certainly isn't natural for me.
I got the job when a college administrator I know forwarded it too me. I applied, interviewed, and they accepted me. I didn't take it because it wasn't paying, and didn't let me expand my portfolio. I have far better things to do with my time. Still, I felt very glad.
I am considering a career in the communications industry. I write well, and market it quite effectively. I am also eager to talk to people and present information in a way they can understand. I'm no social butterfly, but I've gotten a lot better than what I have been before.
As for mentioning Aspergers--I feel that people are more excepting if you can show work to "make up" for your Aspergers. Since I am looking in jobs that require lots of writing, this is easy. Every white-collar job requires a writing sample to apply these days, and my samples are superior.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 8:07 pm

Wow, I find that very encouraging! I'm pleasantly... well... delighted I think is the word I'm looking for! Good for you.

gab1982
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jan 2010, 9:57 am

kiwi wrote:
rabryst wrote:

I don't usually mention it, but when i go for interviews now i may do, i have epilepsy also which limits my jobs and may have to work in a warehouse which is a great shame as i have a uni degree and did well at college, and i did ok at school.

I have lost interest in what i do as a career, as i keep getting put into the same role and i hate it so am looking for a career change, i did have a ace job but it ended as it was a contract and they didn't have enough money to employ the greedy agency which was annoying.