Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2010, 1:40 am

Anyone have a special peaceful place they enjoy going to?

Mine is a little Catholic church nearby. It is quiet, has subdued lighting, candles flickering, a light smell of incense in the air, maybe only one or two other people in there. I like to take a book with me and read for awhile.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 7:20 am

There are quite a few places I like to go, they're all outside places in various parks or reserves, there's a big patch of trees in a forested area near my house that I discovered after going walking with my dog. It's very good for relaxing and my dog liked lying in the grassl I think I'll go there when stressed.

There are places in video games I go to when stressed as well. It sounds ridiculous but if I load up my PS1 version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets I can go to the places in that game and be hit with waves of nostalgia that help me relax and de-stress.

These places seem random, but they all hold a special significance for me.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 7:27 am

I enjoy going to the pier in the town I grew up in. I've gone there many times when I had allot to think about. The ocean helps me put my problems into perspective.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 9:45 am

Luzhin wrote:
Mine is a little Catholic church nearby. It is quiet, has subdued lighting, candles flickering, a light smell of incense in the air, maybe only one or two other people in there. I like to take a book with me and read for awhile.

When I lived in Manchester I'd go into this church sometimes just to sit out of the way, it was really nice and peaceful inside. Also the hospital where I worked security had a lovely chapel in one building, and there was a whole deserted floor near the top of the tallest block - completely isolated and with a nice view out over the city. :) There aren't really any handy equivalents where I work now. :?

The year is still young.

curtis122
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2010, 3:10 pm

Mine is nice and simple and close to home...My room :-)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 6:35 pm

My apartment is a nice, peaceful place for me.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 1:11 am

For me, while we lived in New Haven, it was East Rock Park, in the woods, off the beaten paths. I knew every nook. Later, in Masdison, the Arboretum. Sitting under a tree looking up at the sky.

Today, we are out in the country, we take a couple days a week as retreat days. The world is still there, but when you have an understanding family [that does not insist, "Open your door",, it is good.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 2:17 am

j0sh wrote:
I enjoy going to the pier in the town I grew up in. I've gone there many times when I had allot to think about. The ocean helps me put my problems into perspective.
I have a place like that in my city. :3
But I don't live there right now so I haven't been able to go..

There's not much around where I'm living right now. There is one little cemetery down the street that has these nice big trees that look like an enchanted forest in the sunlight, but my favorite peaceful places are a lot further away.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 2:21 am

There are a lot of scenic drives where I live and I find that very peaceful.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 2:46 am

Luzhin wrote:

What a coincidence! I was just thinking about this today. I was at work doing something that left my mind free to wander. I was thinking about some of the peaceful places I have visited in the past. The ocean is one of my favorites (Big Sur California is my favorite; not for the beaches, but the scenery, relative solitude, and "vibe.") I love being in nature near moving water, like one certain creek in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I have tried listening to "environmental CD's" and they are better than nothing, but not quite the same. They do bring back some memories, though. In a city, I would look for a park that is not too crowded, with a fountain which sounds like a real stream. Unfortunately, I have yet to find one here in the Las Vegas, Nevada area. Mount Charleston is tantalizingly close, but too far away to visit without a full day available. Still, I can always go to any of these places in my mind.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 6:04 am

Certain coffee shops in Edinburgh.

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2010, 10:03 am

curtis122 wrote:
Mine is nice and simple and close to home...My room :-)

Same here. :)

Trebor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jan 2010, 12:40 pm

Numero uno is my room :D Even though it can be a bit of a drive sometimes going up into the mountains can be nice and refreshing. And even though I love books as long as the library or bookstore is not to crowded I like to go to those as well.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 1:42 pm

Luzhin wrote:

I like the mountains, rivers, waterfalls and QUIET beaches :D

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jan 2010, 4:14 pm

My room, anywhere in my Grandma's house or garden (she no longer lives there, but we are yet to sell it, so it is really peaceful), or in nooks and crannies (under the stairs, behind the sofa...)

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2010, 5:14 pm

In the ocean on a surf board or when I'm skiing alone on the track / in the chairlift (even better if the wind is blowing).