Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2010, 4:31 am

This is a question to all who have jobs..
how much interest do you have in the above?

If you have interest, what steps have you taken? how effective have they been?

I ask because Mum is encouraging me to do another course ( i finished an advanced diploma of legal practice)
so I can earn more money some day. (there are others in my profession legal clerk that are earning more)
the reason my wage is lower is because i work at a law firm that acts for plaintiffs (not rich clients) and doesn't charge as much as other firms.

I can't be bothered going back to school again. I feel like there is no point because I will never get anywhere anyway,
there are parts of the senior job that don't appeal to me. Like dealing with clients, I am no good at that.

Ishtara
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2010, 5:29 am

A lot of interest, but mostly because I like money. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd spend my days sewing, cooking, and gardening.

After initially dropping out of university, I went back as an external student about 3 years ago, because I realised I couldn't really make much career progress in the direction I wanted to go without a degree. After starting out studying IT/Communications, I changed to IT/Criminology. It hasn't been easy working and studying, but intense interest in the subjects has kept me going.

Some people can push themselves through study they don't really enjoy, but aspies aren't the greatest at it -- we do far better when driven by interest. I'd advise against taking a course you don't really want to do, unless it's really short.

In your industry, unless you're planning to go back and do a full law degree, experience will count for more than further education. Your best choice might be to keep an eye on the job ads and look at moving on to something more challenging/advanced every 2-3 years.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2010, 3:14 am

thankyou for your post.

I had a look at courses and the stuff covered in them was basically things I do every day at work.

Will have to keep an eye on the job ads.
thanks again.