Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ValleyBridetoBe
Raven
Raven

14 Feb 2010, 12:12 pm

I was diagnosed as an Aspie when I was 21 years old, and I haven't worked since. Before the diagnosis, I was fired from every job I did have.
I managed to work at a call centre for close to a year, and it was terrible! I think I had a "nervous breakdown"-and haven't worked since. I had "inappropriate behavior" which is what led to me being fired. I can't tell people how to do something, I know how to do it, but I can't tell someone how to and I have a problem thinking other people are 'stupid'. Is anyone else like that??

Anyway, our SPCA animal shelter opened 6 months ago and I've been volunteering as much as possible, and love it. I also took an online Veterinary Assisting course, for fun.

They're hiring two part-time assistants, this would be my dream job and I applied. They received tons of resumes.
My resume was really basic but I am hoping they hire someone who volunteers...

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Feb 2010, 2:46 pm

I would think that as a volunteer your resume would get some additional consideration. After all, you're a 'known quantity' since you have volunteered with them for some time.

Even if you don't get the job, remember that even applying for a job (and, better yet, interviewing for one) is good experience and good practice. The more you do it, the more confident you'll get.

ValleyBridetoBe
Raven
Raven

14 Feb 2010, 4:10 pm

blastoff wrote:
I would think that as a volunteer your resume would get some additional consideration. After all, you're a 'known quantity' since you have volunteered with them for some time.

Even if you don't get the job, remember that even applying for a job (and, better yet, interviewing for one) is good experience and good practice. The more you do it, the more confident you'll get.

Thanks!
I figure if they do hire a volunteer, it's also less training time because the person already knows what to do.

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 9:17 pm

ValleyBridetoBe wrote:
I was diagnosed as an Aspie when I was 21 years old, and I haven't worked since. Before the diagnosis, I was fired from every job I did have.
I managed to work at a call centre for close to a year, and it was terrible! I think I had a "nervous breakdown"-and haven't worked since. I had "inappropriate behavior" which is what led to me being fired.

I understand where you came from. I was fired from my first job after two months, and was compelled to resign from my second. Now I work at a call center, and boy, it was really stressful.

ValleyBridetoBe wrote:
I can't tell people how to do something, I know how to do it, but I can't tell someone how to and I have a problem thinking other people are 'stupid'. Is anyone else like that??

Sometimes, I have that mindset as well, especially when I am really frustrated and stressed out.

ValleyBridetoBe wrote:
Anyway, our SPCA animal shelter opened 6 months ago and I've been volunteering as much as possible, and love it. I also took an online Veterinary Assisting course, for fun.

They're hiring two part-time assistants, this would be my dream job and I applied. They received tons of resumes.
My resume was really basic but I am hoping they hire someone who volunteers...

That's nice. I wish I would go for what I really want--be full time on my design business. Now, because of my job, I had little time for my little firm.

Anyway, good luck to your application. Hope you get that job. ^_^

ValleyBridetoBe
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2010, 1:21 am

Thanks so much. I'll be sure to let everyone know what happens!

sofie
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Feb 2010, 2:11 am

Why is it that so many Aspies (at least those on this site) seem to have worked in call
centres in the past? No one seems to have liked it and it does really strike me as the type of
environment an Aspie would be comfortable in. Yet so many people on this site seem to have
ended up in this job at some point.

Good luck with your job application ValleyBridetoBe. I definitely think that having been volunteering there would give you an advantage. What do they say, you''ve got to be in it to win
it.

ValleyBridetoBe
Raven
Raven

01 Mar 2010, 3:01 pm

sofie wrote:
Why is it that so many Aspies (at least those on this site) seem to have worked in call
centres in the past? No one seems to have liked it and it does really strike me as the type of
environment an Aspie would be comfortable in. Yet so many people on this site seem to have

Good luck with your job application ValleyBridetoBe. I definitely think that having been volunteering there would give you an advantage. What do they say, you''ve got to be in it to win
it.

I worked at a call centre before being diagnosed, I haven't had a job since I was diagnosed. But I thought it would be good because I wouldn't be "face to face" with people. It ended up being really terrible (I did Tech Support).

But the SPCA did call me and I have an interview tomorrow.

smokiethebear912
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Mar 2010, 5:03 pm

sofie wrote:

I just got fired from my third call center job. I got fired from my second call center job, and walked out on the first.

CALL CENTER = DANTE'S INFERNO OF SUCK

ValleyBridetoBe
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2010, 9:10 pm

They never called me back either way about the job... but... I don't know if they hired anyone.

smokiethebear912
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Apr 2010, 9:25 pm

How did the SPCA interview go?