Page 2 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 8:38 pm

i used to have an eating disorder, and sometimes it comes back. I get obsessed with counting calories, restricting calories and exercise. I am 5"7" and I used to weighed as little as 104 lbs. I know that is clinically not anorexic weight, but it is frightfully thin on someone my height. I typically maintained 120-125 lbs during my adult years. After I quit smoking 7 years ago I ballooned to 140 and then I went back to around 125 by extreme calorie counting and a lot of working out. Now I am at 144, and I would like to lose 10 lbs, but my way of losing weight tends to go too far. It starts consuming my whole day like other "special interests" do. I have maintained this weight for 3 years so I think it is the weight my body wants to be. I hate it though. I am not unfit- just bigger than I like to be. I feel more "special" when I am thin- I dont know why.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 10:25 am

pumibel wrote:
i used to have an eating disorder, and sometimes it comes back. I get obsessed with counting calories, restricting calories and exercise. I am 5"7" and I used to weighed as little as 104 lbs. I know that is clinically not anorexic weight, but it is frightfully thin on someone my height. I typically maintained 120-125 lbs during my adult years. After I quit smoking 7 years ago I ballooned to 140 and then I went back to around 125 by extreme calorie counting and a lot of working out. Now I am at 144, and I would like to lose 10 lbs, but my way of losing weight tends to go too far. It starts consuming my whole day like other "special interests" do. I have maintained this weight for 3 years so I think it is the weight my body wants to be. I hate it though. I am not unfit- just bigger than I like to be. I feel more "special" when I am thin- I dont know why.

Because being that thin is unnatural. People like it for the same reason they like neon blue eyes, or white-blond hair - it's unusual, it looks 'hyper-real' and striking to the senses. If being thin was average and not very striking to look at, people would probably develop a fashion for something else that was unusual.

My opinion, anyway. I could be wrong.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 1:12 pm

I had Psychology classes yestarday and now I know I have Anorexia traits... without Anorexia :lol: I'm strict, but I eat enough to be not skinny.
And I won't rather be anorexic, because I MUST BE PERFECTLY HEALTHY! no falling hair or breakable bones!

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

caissa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2010, 6:23 pm

I've been lucky in this life.... tall, thin, no eating disorders except I am a very picky eater. I did go through a few phases where I was so picky that I ate very little and perhaps it could have been viewed as anorexia but it really was extreme pickiness. All food looked/ smelled disgusting to me, as though it had just been fished out of a garbage can. I will sometimes eat strange things and nothing but those strange things. Like refried garbanzo beans diluted with yogurt and orange juice.... I ate only that for weeks at one point.

Cormorant
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2010, 7:38 pm

when I was younger, I used to be very thin. After antidepressants and getting older, I gained quite a bit of weight. Now, I changed how I eat(MUCH less sugar and other carbs, LOTS more fat-makes me much calmer and less depressed) and am off antidepressants and have lost most of it. The funny thing is that it never bothered me being fatter. I notice others reactions so little and am so tactile that I enjoyed the feel of my plumper body. I am sure it must have been annoying sometimes to my NT sister whom, while not in any way fat, has always had an issue with her weight.

Yasmine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Mar 2010, 6:41 am

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Yasmine wrote:
mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
I would sell my eyes for some extra height.

I was abnormally tall in early adolescence, and I wanted to be a model, but then I never grew much.

And now I'm slightly obsessed with height, though not so severely as I was aged 14/15, where I talked about it nonstop and tried to talk my mom into letting me get human growth hormone injections. Which a doctor probably wouldn't have done on me anyway, because I was a normal height for my age.

I wish I could have taken those. I am 10 cm smaller than i should have been, than what i 'have' genetically... instead I have the width and weight of 10 cm I don't have :(

Damn. I feel for you. What messed with your growth?

I was supposed to be 5'9, but I'm only 5'7..

I was really sick as a in infant/kid. They couldn't get me to eat enough. And 'they' were at one point 17 doctors. Didn't find out what was wrong with me either. Had to call my mom for the details. Turns out it was more like 15 cm instead or 6 inches. Reason I didn't get hormone treatment was that the doctors 'thought' I'd at least get those 10 cms.. so yeah...

Funny thing is that I think my brain is stuck on the height I should have had. Unless I look in the mirror or stand close to someone I continuously think I am higher than I am. I get really surprised by my own reflection a lot. It's really not good for my self-esteem to repeatedly have to realize I'm so much shorter than my inner image of myself..

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

19 Mar 2010, 6:24 pm

Everything correlates to anything if you go deep enough.

tinmaiden
Raven
Raven

20 Mar 2010, 5:04 pm

I feel like I am not myself if I am not thin. I think it has to do with the fact that puberty FREAKED ME OUT, and when I started to "fill out" I thought I was getting fat, and "Alexis is not fat".

I'm 5'7" and I go between 125 and 130 lbs. I am not anorexic but if I gain a few pounds, the person in the mirror feels like a stranger, and that's scary to me.

-Fyodor Dostoevsky

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 11:28 pm

I was anorexic for a time in college. I ate once a week -- and when I say "ate" I mean a cup of yogurt or a granola bar, and usually only because I thought I should, not because I wanted to. The rest of the time I filled up on Diet Coke. I'm 5'5" and I was down to 105 lbs. at my thinnnest. I had this voice in my head (not like hearing voices voice, just some part of me) that told me I would only be worthy of anything if I was under 100 lbs. Once I was on medication for depression, I was able to ignore that part of me and went up to about 125 lbs. However, I totally screwed up my metabolism with that poor eating. Now I struggle with my weight; I try to focus on staying healthy rather than the number on the scale. In fact, I have no idea what I weigh! My Driver's License says 132, so I'll go with that.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 3:28 am

Yasmine wrote:
I wish I could have taken those. I am 10 cm smaller than i should have been, than what i 'have' genetically... instead I have the width and weight of 10 cm I don't have :(

Is there a way to know "how tall you should have been"? How is it done?

It's a genuine question - I had no idea this could be determined.

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 4:27 am

This is a great topic.

I've had various mild eating disorders (not diagnosed, incidentally) at different times in my life. Overall, my weight has gone up and down - sometimes up or down somewhat dramatically if my eating habits suddenly change.

I am better with my eating habits than I used to be - but that's just about learning to eat more fruit and vegetables.

I have wondered whether I comfort eat as a result of my anxiety. When I overeat, I think that's usually what it is.
When I undereat, it's usually at a time when I'm pre-occupied with something (ie have a special interest going), so I don't necessarily have to have a 'food sensation' to help keep my life pleasant.

I've learnt that I do enjoy eating a lot lighter, as it gives me more energy and being slim (not skinny - I don't have a skinny kind of body, in fact I've been described as voluptuous, sometimes) gives me a chance to feel really good about myself and I like that.
Doesn't mean I'm perfect of course and I really won't 'diet' at all - I reserve the right to eat what I like!!

I'm pretty rigorous about getting enough nutrients so actual nutrition isn't much of a prob 8)

A Thursday child ..

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:16 am

Anorexia traits without Anorexia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

My Mum preachs about it.
And I am Nutritionist (my job), who is strict in nutrition rules. And I think it's better than junk food. Generally I can't find anything interesting in unhealthy lifestyle, I don't know why people enjoy it, it's just stupid.

----

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 8:28 am

^ yes - it's a sensation, I think. People enjoy the sensation of unhealthy food and resist changing into healthier habits. I've had both kinds of habits, at times, and I think if a lot of people knew how much better they could feel after the initial change they'd be healthier!

It's great to have women talking about nutrition in a forum, I think :)

A Thursday child ..

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 10:32 am

Valoyossa wrote:
Anorexia traits without Anorexia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

My Mum preachs about it.
And I am Nutritionist (my job), who is strict in nutrition rules. And I think it's better than junk food. Generally I can't find anything interesting in unhealthy lifestyle, I don't know why people enjoy it, it's just stupid.

I think I have the traits without actually having it.

I eat shedloads, because I've a fast metabolism, but I often feel the need to not eat just to spite my reproductive system. I think, f**k food, my body only wants food so it can have babies.

It sounds perverse, but it's probably actually a good thing I'm rather prone to hypoglycemia, because I can't not eat regularly or I'll get weak, dizzy, and lose my motor skills.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 2:21 pm

Do you like when sb looks at you when you're eating?

I hate it and my roommate is ALWAYS in the room and looks at me. I wish she was more religious or sociable or sth, I'd like to be ALONE.
I hate restaurants. I hate to eat in school.

----

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 4:31 pm

i am very overweight

i blame it on

medication

emotional eating

and no structured way of getting exercise ( because i dont get out much and just stick around and go on the computer)

Last edited by Ravenclawgurl on 22 Mar 2010, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.