Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Toadette
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Sep 2012, 1:41 am

I much prefer text based communication because in real life my speech is rather disjointed and I often can't explain myself properly. Online my sentences flow much better and I can nail all the things I wanted to say.

Cei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2012, 3:49 am

I like text better, I find it easier to think of things to say if I'm not trying to make sense of as much information, plus I think I still haven't gotten that good at eye contact yet. Also, you can't PM people face-to-face, the best you can do is make everybody wonder why you're spending so much time whispering to someone. :lol: Which is useful since usually I'll have a few people I kinda like talking to, but finding things to talk about that the entire group would be interested in is a lot harder, so being able to talk to people one at a time while still hanging out with a bunch of friends is cool.

nokosage

30 Sep 2012, 4:05 pm

My words occasionally come out in the wrong order when I'm speaking to another person in face-to-face conversation. Texting (although I have no-one to text) or typing allows me to think about what I want to say and to be more relaxed as I do it. I can ignore people for a short while if I want to as well. Plus, emoticons certainly simplify a lot of things and I've observed that people are definitely more open and less judgemental about nonconformist views and ideas.

I've had feelings involving people met online that were greater than I've ever been able to repeat with people met outside of the Internet.

JacksG13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Oct 2012, 3:00 pm

I prefer making friends online because we already have something in common (the website we meet) and they get to know me on the inside before seeing the outside. and txting is just easier, and no one talks on the phone anymore anyway.

Natalya
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2012, 7:33 am

With writing, you either say something or you don't. You have to express emotion to get it across. You can order your thoughts, think about what you want to say. There is no dreaded 'middle-man' (only expression I could think of) of the actual physical human themself - there is no eye contact/gesture/expression/tone of voice to misinterpret. The words are always going to be there - it's harder to get confused.
Hope that helps. :)

prettylittlepanda
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jan 2013, 11:08 pm

I tend to prefer talking online or through texting, mainly because my anxiety becomes overwhelming when interacting face-to-face since I worry if I'm doing or saying something that isn't "normal."

emmakayhaha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2013, 10:45 pm

I like texting/online messaging much better than communicating via telephone or face to face interaction. Much easier to understand what is being said, and less chance I will be misinterpreted as being not nice.

Room217
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Apr 2013, 9:41 pm

I prefer text and online. You don't have to try to decode things like tone and body language; text is a lot more straight forward. Also, you don't have someone trying to make eye contact with you like they would face to face. I'm always afraid I come off rude or disinterested to people because I don't meet their gaze when they're talking.

Sciuridae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 12:08 am

I agree with the thread- text-based communication is easier for me because I don't have to decode tone of voice and body language. Being on the phone is my least favorite form of communication, though; the more blatant body language doesn't appear to me and I interpret the tone of voice incorrectly quite a bit.