Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 2:06 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Bataar wrote:
Also, the actions of these priests run counter to the faith so I don't know what point you're trying to make by saying our faith is riddled with falsehoods and nonsense. This is kind of behavior is completely counter to the faith.

It's a method known as "stacking-the-deck", along with guilt by association, blended together with their own ignorance. I am not a Catholic, but these atheists, the ones which use any examples of immorality or corruption in order to propagate the notion that all of it is immoral and corrupt, these atheists which accuse me of "sophistry" are the jerks who are willing to go to any fallacious lengths in order to support their preconceived conclusions against religion in general and Christianity and Judaism in particular.

Even to insist that the universe is older than 6000 years. Totally immoral!

Really now, nice try there. You picked an issue where I would have an issue with the Roman Catholic Church, nice stab.

BTW, Ussher's chronology would place the age of the Earth as being older than 6,000 years also. Precisely 6,012 currently and it will turn 6,013 on my birthday this year.

Congratulations. At 13 years per advance you are moving in the right direction but you have a few billion years to go so your progress is somewhat limited. Keep trying.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 2:36 am

Bataar wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Bataar wrote:
Also, the actions of these priests run counter to the faith so I don't know what point you're trying to make by saying our faith is riddled with falsehoods and nonsense. This is kind of behavior is completely counter to the faith.

It's a method known as "stacking-the-deck", along with guilt by association, blended together with their own ignorance. I am not a Catholic, but these atheists, the ones which use any examples of immorality or corruption in order to propagate the notion that all of it is immoral and corrupt, these atheists which accuse me of "sophistry" are the jerks who are willing to go to any fallacious lengths in order to support their preconceived conclusions against religion in general and Christianity and Judaism in particular.

Unfortunately for you, the Catholic Church does not claim the Earth is not older than 6000 years. That is a fairly modern belief by certain evangelical christians.

Sand is playing upon the Roman Catholic Church' acceptance of the modern view of Earth's age in contrast to my acceptance of a more literal interpretation of chronogenealogies in Genesis 5:1-31 and 11:10-32

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 3:39 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Bataar wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Bataar wrote:

Unfortunately for you, the Catholic Church does not claim the Earth is not older than 6000 years. That is a fairly modern belief by certain evangelical christians.

Sand is playing upon the Roman Catholic Church' acceptance of the modern view of Earth's age in contrast to my acceptance of a more literal interpretation of chronogenealogies in Genesis 5:1-31 and 11:10-32

But I saw no post by the Catholic Church. I was addressing you.

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 7:23 am

What does the age of the earth have to do with any of this?

The hierarchy of the Catholic Church has a lot to answer for, but since the Vatican is technically an independent country to whom will they answer. If there is any hope for justice it will have to come from God.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 7:45 am

NobelCynic wrote:

The hierarchy of the Catholic Church has a lot to answer for, but since the Vatican is technically an independent country to whom will they answer. If there is any hope for justice it will have to come from God.

And as always, God seems rather careless with justice when it comes to powerful officialdom.

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 10:55 am

Sand wrote:
And as always, God seems rather careless with justice when it comes to powerful officialdom.

So it would seem and not just with powerful officialdom, but that does not prove that it will never happen.

If you have some other hope, I would like to hear of it.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 11:21 am

NobelCynic wrote:
Sand wrote:

So it would seem and not just with powerful officialdom, but that does not prove that it will never happen.

Well, although, from my point of view, religious Catholics have rather oddly formed views of reality, I would say they are not inferior in intellect to the average human and when pushed to extremes by the demonstration that their leadership is assumed to be as rigorously trained as any Catholic could be and yet proves demonstrably incapable of making the most simple moral decisions, why, the obvious move for them is to declare the whole religious business to be ineffectual nonsense and join us atheists in looking reality straight in the face. I would welcome them with open arms.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 12:16 pm

NobelCynic wrote:
Sand wrote:

1)prosecution and imprisonment

2)reformation of celibacy laws, transparency, local control, an end to the ban on women in the priesthood (or at an end to the ban on women in positions of power)...

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 12:21 pm

Sand wrote:
NobelCynic wrote:

If you want God to provide justice and vengeance for the cases that you want it to be meted out, why should you not expect God to provide it ubiquitously too. Providing justice and vengeance upon you and everyone all at once, not just for crimes against human laws but also crimes against His own laws simultaneously, this would just seem fair would it not? You make a false cry for justice, just like Peter said you would say, "Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep all things continue as they have forever."

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 1:40 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
NobelCynic wrote:

If you want God to provide justice and vengeance for the cases that you want it to be meted out, why should you not expect God to provide it ubiquitously too. Providing justice and vengeance upon you and everyone all at once, not just for crimes against human laws but also crimes against His own laws simultaneously, this would just seem fair would it not? You make a false cry for justice, just like Peter said you would say, "Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep all things continue as they have forever."

From what I've heard, Noah and Lot found out that God was quite interested in justice. Is He bored these days or just lying in a gutter somewhere pissed to the gills on cheap alcohol because everything is out of control?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 1:51 pm

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
NobelCynic wrote:

From what I've heard, Noah and Lot found out that God was quite interested in justice. Is He bored these days or just lying in a gutter somewhere pissed to the gills on cheap alcohol because everything is out of control?

Ah, and now we are on to 2nd Peter 3:9

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 1:54 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
NobelCynic wrote:

With all these peters hanging out things are getting a bit raunchy.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 1:59 pm

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
NobelCynic wrote:

With all these peters hanging out things are getting a bit raunchy.

If you wish to leave, I'm not going to stop you. However, I think you want the last word and I'm not going to let you have it. :P