Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 3:15 am

johnny_the_greek wrote:
How early or late did you start to talk?

I started speaking at the normal age children usually start speaking. However I had a fairly common auditory processing issue which made me difficult to understand.

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 6:23 am

My sister started speaking at 9 months. I didn't speak words until 24 months, at which time I made up my own words. My speech started developing after that. Evidently late talking and making up unintelligible words indicate auditory processing disorder.

Z

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2010, 11:14 am

I'm not sure, but I know I started talking before I was 1, and long before I learned to walk...

My mother told me that I taught myself to talk as though I was taking a vocabulary test. I would listen intently to adults talking, and if I heard a word I didn't recognize I would repeat it to myself over and over, and then use it in a new sentence haha.

Example-

Adult: blah blah blah -he burst through the door- blah blah.
Baby-me: burst...burst...burst...burst...burst...burst...buuurst... the boy who was buried alive suddenly burst from the ground and scared his friends.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 4:50 pm

Started talking at two years old, but the speech was well developed from the start.

Hidden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 May 2010, 6:28 pm

Not too early, maybe about 2 years old. I was more fond of introspection.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 6:34 pm

I started talking at a normal age but didn't have reciprocal conversations until I was 6 or so.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 6:56 pm

Didn't speak until I was 3 and a half years old.

beejay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 May 2010, 12:06 am

Four years old, but I could read earlier. It took therapy; the therapist thought I was mentally ret*d. I guess it dawned on the professionals around here that autism existed some time after 1990; too late for me.

My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

05 May 2010, 6:34 am

I asked my mum and she said that my first understandable word (not 'mama' or 'dada') was between 8 and 10 months old. My first word was eyes, which is weird because apparently I hardly looked anyone in the eye. I started using 3+ word sentences at about 18-20 months old. I have this on video. I'm not sure if it's normal or early but I know it's not late.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 6:39 am

I said next to nothing until I was about 2 and a half, then immediately started talking in full paragraphs. I'm the youngest of two, so I most likely processed language by watching my older brother.