Wanting to write an article for the school newspaper.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2006, 3:49 am

Okay April is National Autism month right so I was thinking about writing an article for the school newspaper both about what it (Asperger's) is and how it feels to have it (the school newspaper sucks and its weekly so it will get in no problem if I do it right.) The only problem is that I am still not officially dxed aspie just NVLD (nonverbal learning disorder), and not only that but a couple of licensed people said I was aspie (even though I still think its because I dont stim in public (though I am stimming right now lol) So.... what should I do?

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Apr 2006, 10:07 am

I'd say go for it. This will be a chance to tell people about your condition (if you want) and that will allow you the insiders' perspective, which means you can inform from a personal point of view. Some of the best journalism comes from personal experience(s), told with facts and empathy.
You could also interview the people who run websites like WrongPlanet and On The Spectrum, which will give people reading who might have AS et al to find a place to have community. Plus, it'll also be a great writing experience that you can put on your college app (admissions people love these sorts of things--you could even maybe use it on the "Personal Essay" section of the app, if necessary.)
If you do decide to write this article, I hope you'll post it on WP--I'd love to see it!

ARW_AS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2006, 5:50 am

GO FOR IT BIG MAN!

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2006, 2:02 pm

So what about your diagnosis? If you want to do it, go for it :D