Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 9:13 am

I need everyone's help in settling an argument with the management of my current gym. If you attend a gym or health club on a regular basis please could you answer the following questions:

1) Does your gym have permanently fitted ventilation fans?

2) Does your gym have a water cooler with free water available to members?

3) What is the temperature? If there's a wall thermometer then this is an easy question to answer but if you can't see one then sneak one in for me.

As you can gather we're having heat problems and the management are refusing to do anything. I could vote with my feet and leave but my membership doesn't expire until February next year and they don't offer refunds. Thanks in advance for your help.

Vanilla_Slice

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 10:31 am

Well, that sucks. If you exercise especially, you need to get rid of the heat! The gym I go to has air conditioning and it is kept at ~70F (20C). If some piece of the HVAC fails, signs are posted, areas may be closed, and then it's fixed within a day or two. There's a drinking fountain for water, too. 1 year membership costs $200 US and I think the facility may be subsidized, otherwise I don't think they'd be able to offer a good deal like this.

If too much heat is a problem, try going early in the morning when it first opens. At that point the building should be the coolest it will be for the day.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 2:01 pm

My fitness club offers free water, and it's very, very cool (except in the indoor pool, obviously).

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 7:27 pm

I find ventilation too weak - I'm always hot and I swear quickly, so I need low temperature and almost wind.

Water is available, showers too.

Temperature for me is too high. Probably there is any termometer on the wall, but I've never looked for it. It's too hot and when I start to exercise, it's hotter. Doesn't matter how many degrees.
People like when it's hot.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 May 2010, 11:24 am

Are you talking about a public (YMCA, city-owned, or school gym), or one with private paid membership?

I'd say that if it's a private one, and if I were in your position, I'd maybe let my membership expire and go someplace else. If it's a public one, you might be able to cite laws in your state regarding water availability and all, but it might be a difficult battle.

Either way, if there's any possibility to take your workouts elsewhere, that might be the best bet if a polite request to correct the problems is denied. Even if you get the management forced to cooperate, you might be known as "the troublemaker". Just an unbiased opinion here... And that's despite the theory that for most of us on this forum; myself included, changes are a BIG problem.

Charles

MaybeMars
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2010, 1:51 pm

The Gym Express, Centerville, MA

Air conditioned, I don't know the temperature but I've never been too hot. They also open the doors when the outdoor temperature is right.

Free water cooler and coffee.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 10:24 am

OK, thanks for the replies so far but I would have appreciated more temperature measurements, that gym at 20C sounds like heaven!

It's also interesting to see that most gyms have free cold water (mine doesn't).

Vanilla_Slice

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 10:38 am

I work out at the uni rec center, so the room is air-conditioned, so ventilation and temperature are good. They offset the cooling costs by hooking the treadmills, stationary bikes and elliptical machines up to a generator of some kind. There are several water coolers around. I should think most gyms would rather pay up front for the water and cooling than for the lawsuit after someone keels over.