Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

eightyfour
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jun 2010, 9:18 am

Just wanted to introduce myself :) I have been spying on this site for several months now and thought I should finally join. Aspergers is new to me. I learned that I have it when my daughter was diagnosed with autism a few months ago. Her diagnosis sent me on a researching spree that began with me thinking I could "cure" her and ended with me realizing she inherited it from me and there is nothing to fix. I'm not proud of my previous way of thinking, but as with everything in life, you live, you learn.

I see Aspergers in my extended family, but no one is diagnosed.

I will remain undiagnosed for a number of reasons. 1) I know myself and feel really uncomfortable with the idea of a stranger analyzing me.. 2) I dont think that a diagnosis would help me in any way 3) Just the thought of someone trying to "figure me out" really creeps me out.

My entire life makes sense through Aspergers and I am so happy that I finally have an answer for why everything was the way it was (and is). I understand my daughter, and I am glad that she will not have to go through life feeling as alone as I had felt.

As I have been lurking on this site, I have read so many things that I can relate to. It feels good to finally *really* fit in. I go through times where I am addicted to this site, and then I disappear for awhile, so dont be offended if I take a break without warning ;) Sometimes I just want to forget Aspergers...but i keep ending up right back here-regardless of how hard I try to run away.

Look forward to talking to everyone, this is by far the coolest group of people I have ever "met"....

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Jun 2010, 9:31 am

Quote:
Look forward to talking to everyone, this is by far the coolest group of people I have ever "met"....

It's certainly an honor for you to say this!

I am looking forward to talking with you as well and I'm glad you decided to graduate from lurker! :mrgreen: :king: :batman: :alien:

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 11:04 am

Nice to meet you, eightyfour - and welcome greetings to the Wrong Planet forums.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 12:56 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet, eightyfour!! :D

EvertonFan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2010, 1:35 pm

Hi and welcome :D

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 10:27 am

Hello eightyfour, welcome, enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

VolcanicEruptions
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2010, 5:23 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet!