Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 9:07 pm

I need help I really need to know if this is common.

Ok so I have lost a lot of weight bike riding over the past year I used to be kind of husky/chubby.

When I stand up straight and look into a mirror w/o my shirt I look a little skinny, but otherwise fit if I suck my belly in a little bit to stabilize my lower back. I look good and in shape. My pecks stick out a Little bit but it hardly looks noticeable.

WHEN I put a shirt on maintaining my same posture, I end up looking really odd, like my pecks sticking out and my neck and shoulder rolling down. It feels really weird and looks weird too and it is a regular size t-shirt. It looks like a ret*d posture. I am not a body-builder dude. I hardly even do push-ups occasionally!

I had been to a chiropractor about a year ago who took x-rays, and he said that my neck was curved dfoward a bit, instead of the slight backwards. I have tried to be as conscious about not slouching and standing and sitting up straight as I can. My shoulders feel a bit tense too.

Does anybody have similar posture related problems? I feel like my tense posture is the biggest thing right now that is holding me back........anybody here an expert on chiropractics?

oh yeah the exercise he gave to correct it was to lye on my back on my mattress with my head over the edge. I haven't done it consistently, although I have tried looking it up to see how common this practice is. I am just worried I would screw my neck up even more if I did it. any ideas?

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 9:59 pm

That seems like a bit of a kooky solution, doesn't it? "Oh, your neck is a bit off . . . just lay with your head over the bed." I would think the weight of gravity would strain your muscles before adjusting your posture.

That said, I do stand oddly. I seemed to have lost two inches of height over the past few years (as measured by a doctor) purely from hunching and slouching. As long as it doesn't ache much, I'm not bothered. I try to maintain awareness, but it is difficult to remember,

I rode horses for some time, and they recommended visualizing metal rods and cords holding you in place to maintain posture. I've found it effective when one isn't distracted.

lightening020
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 10:13 pm

yeah thats what I figured. It did seem a bit kooky. But he had x-rays that showed my neck was curved forward, whereas a normal looking spine in the neck is straight and slightly curved backwards.

I have been looking up medical terms, and it is hard to say what I have based on online descriptions and pictures, but I have concluded that I maybe have:

Protracted Shoulder Girdle - my shoulders are really tense and slumped a little forward which is I think what is causing my pecks to stick out which I don't want.
Forward Neck Posture - the neck curved forward a bit.

It is really difficult to tell what kind of direction I need to go as far as exercises go. There are alot of suggestions online but maybe I need to see a different chiropractor and then hit the gym with an accomplished trainer who knows the ins-and -outs of ever excercise.

I found one exercise which resembles the "head-over-bed" crap. Its basically the same thing except standing up or sitting down and let your head go back as a stretch..

Ultimately I have to hold myself up 24/7. If I let go I would be hunched over.

This is my MAIN PRIORITY RIGHT NOW. I am a decent looking guy, I know I am attractive to some girls, but GODDAMN it THIS IS REALLY KILLING MY-self esteem. KNOWING I LOOK ODD in posture only reinforces my odd behavior.

If I could just f*****g fix my posture...............forget all of my insecurities...they dont matter right now

Last edited by lightening020 on 12 Jun 2010, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 10:14 pm

chaotik_lord wrote:
That seems like a bit of a kooky solution, doesn't it? "Oh, your neck is a bit off . . . just lay with your head over the bed." I would think the weight of gravity would strain your muscles before adjusting your posture.

Some standard physical therapy is a bit strange-sounding. My physical therapist has me stand facing a corner, put my hands on the wall, and lean in to the corner so that gravity will stretch my shoulder blades in a funky way. It's a weird thing but it really does work if I keep up with it every day (work, in my case, means relieve the numbness in my arms and hands.)

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2010, 10:20 pm

Yes because of scolosis.