Of all the Aspergers symptoms, which ones DON'T apply to you

Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Brija
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2010, 8:34 am

For both diagnosed and undiagnosed to answer :)

I don't: (that I'm aware of anyway)
-have the repetitive motions like hand flapping or tapping feet
-high intelligence
-I'm not sure that I miss facial cues
-inappropriate behaviour such as laughing when I'm not supposed to

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 8:37 am

I have all of those.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 8:45 am

I don't know if this is correct or not, but I think that I have read that some Aspies aren't necessarily empathetic because they miss the social cues that would trigger empathy.

My son (14 years) has amazing empathy. He may not pick up on other things, but boy, he really gets it when someones is upset or sad.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 8:49 am

I think I pick on up on most cues and am able to read people relatively well. I don't monologue but I have in the past, it's something I'm definitely able to control. I usually don't correct people unless it's really necessary but that's something I used to do also. My special interests aren't ALL that odd, maybe random and a little odd for my age, they always have been, but just as obsessive.

Pretty much everything else applies to me. I'm 25 and I still stim like crazy(even hand-flapping) but never around people.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Jun 2010, 8:50 am

I have empathy, but only after I am brought to understand whatever it is that the other person is feeling. Otherwise no clue, no empathy if I'm not aware there's anything to empathize with. Although I don't tap or flap hands/feet, I do constantly pick at the ends of my fingers with adjacent fingers. I used to tap my foot a lot, but got in trouble at school for it and broke the habit I guess.

Beyond that, I have all of the other criteria for Asperger's.

Charles

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 8:59 am

I don't approach people, or monologue irl (I don't think so anyway)

Mozzie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jun 2010, 9:05 am

i'm not that obsessed about routines...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 9:07 am

Fear of people and crowds.

LancetChick
Raven
Raven

18 Jun 2010, 9:19 am

I'm able to read expressions perfectly, and yet looking into peoples' eyes is still like pushing two like-polarity magnets together, and when I took an empathy test I scored well below normal. I'm face blind, though, so there is something wrong with that section of my brain. A lot of Aspies want friendship and to be in society, but their inability to read people prevents them from forming meaningful relationships.... me, I can form a meaningful relationship easily, I just have absolutely no desire to, no desire for society at all.

And I don't give a *BLEEP!* about bus schedules. Other than that, I have all the traits.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 11:59 am

LancetChick wrote:
And I don't give a *BLEEP!* about bus schedules.

:lol: Me neither. I don't enjoy reading license plate numbers either. I also couldn't tell you the exact date of the blizzard of 1888 or how many inches of snow fell in the city of Poughkeepsie CT on said date even though I'm a meteorologist. I'm math enthusiast, yet I can't tell people what day of the week they were born in 3 seconds after they tell me it's their birthday. I also can't state the first 100 digits of pi.

The savent / trivia-freak autism stereotype is annoying since I generally hate trivia as well as all pointless memorization of meaningless data and/or calculations. I always prefer THEORY and general concepts, not meaningless concrete crap.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 12:06 pm

Mozzie wrote:
i'm not that obsessed about routines...

+1

SnowWhite88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2010, 12:08 pm

I don't have the "lack of empathy" thing, just because I don't always understand it doesn't mean that I don't have it or that I'm incapable of feeling it.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 1:04 pm

The more I studied the disorder and came to understand what some of those dry clinical descriptions actually mean, as opposed to what they seem to mean on first read, I've come to realize there isn't a single AS trait I don't have to one degree or another. Its the clinical language that's misleading.

That's why the discussions about empathy, theory of mind, emotional reciprocity and such keep coming up here over and over endlessly, because they seem to be describing things that don't apply, but once you get a grasp of what they're actually referring to, it kinds of makes you back up and say "Oh...well, that is me then."

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 1:31 pm

Willard wrote:
The more I studied the disorder and came to understand what some of those dry clinical descriptions actually mean, as opposed to what they seem to mean on first read, I've come to realize there isn't a single AS trait I don't have to one degree or another. Its the clinical language that's misleading.

Same here.

Ha...I bugged my psychologist so much wondering if I was AS, she sat down with me and went over each diagnostic criteria. I tried to get her to explain them or give examples, and there were quite a lot that she couldn't do it/had a hard time. It is hard to understand.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 1:35 pm

Attention to details

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 1:46 pm

I have really pretty handwriting :) I can't draw though :|