Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jul 2010, 12:17 am

I seem to experience a few instances of this:

When I get agitated, frightened, stressed or angry ( . . . or all four!) I get a horrible pain in my ear, usually the left one. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with my ear, as it seems otherwise healthy and the doctor looked at it and could see nothing. However, I do have a 'thing' about ears in that they make me really squeamish - I feel sick and panicky if I think/read/hear about the inner workings of the ear, and I can't stand it when my ear 'pops'.

Secondly, if I think about pregnancy, I start to get pains in the uterus and ovarian area of my abdomen. The same thing happened when I I was trying to gather information on IUDs. I started to panic. I had to control my breathing, and try to ignore the pains.

Thirdly, if I watch a television programme about breast cancer or implants, I get stabbing pains in my own breasts, which otherwise seem fine!

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there any way I can stop myself from being such a ridiculous hypochondriac? I suffer from high generalised anxiety, and experience panic attacks anyway, but the pains don't help.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 2:45 am

Poppycocteau wrote:
I seem to experience a few instances of this:

When I get agitated, frightened, stressed or angry ( . . . or all four!) I get a horrible pain in my ear, usually the left one. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with my ear, as it seems otherwise healthy and the doctor looked at it and could see nothing. However, I do have a 'thing' about ears in that they make me really squeamish - I feel sick and panicky if I think/read/hear about the inner workings of the ear, and I can't stand it when my ear 'pops'.

Secondly, if I think about pregnancy, I start to get pains in the uterus and ovarian area of my abdomen. The same thing happened when I I was trying to gather information on IUDs. I started to panic. I had to control my breathing, and try to ignore the pains.

Thirdly, if I watch a television programme about breast cancer or implants, I get stabbing pains in my own breasts, which otherwise seem fine!

Does this happen to anyone else? Is there any way I can stop myself from being such a ridiculous hypochondriac? I suffer from high generalised anxiety, and experience panic attacks anyway, but the pains don't help.

No, I don't get this. However I do get the occasional mysterious symptom that I usually let go on for months for fear of doctors thinking I'm a hypochondriac. They usually go away but I've also got some pretty scolding looks for letting things go too long.

But I don't actually worry about something being wrong with me. If I do go to the doctors about something, it's more because it is causing some inconvenience in my life.