Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Deidara
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2010, 1:39 am

eon wrote:
The problem is I sit and try to wait for the pause that would allow me to add what I'm thinking, and SOMEONE ELSE JUMPS IN FASTER THAN I CAN START!! !

Conclusison: I hate conversations where more than 1 other person is included.

Oh god this. If this happens a lot I just interrupt someone.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 9:53 am

Yes! I only wanna talk about my stuff OR get the other person's input on my stuff :oops: It's so terrible, I know. My current job though...I get paid to have conversations so it helps me learn.

Qrusher
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jul 2010, 11:49 pm

eon wrote:
The problem is I sit and try to wait for the pause that would allow me to add what I'm thinking, and SOMEONE ELSE JUMPS IN FASTER THAN I CAN START!! !

I hate this too! i can never find the right time to jump. Its either i'm too early and interrupt the person or i'm too late and have to wait for the other person to finish. Seems NTs dont have a problem with this.

I also dont want to talk about something i'm not interested in. I just tend to zone out or just change the subject to some i like lol

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 3:16 am

I'm terrible at waiting my turn to talk. I jump in the moment I find an opening in the conversation. 9 times out of 10, this "opening" is actually just a pause, and the other person wasn't finished speaking, so we wind up talking at the same time. I always feel bad when this happens, but how am I supposed to know if the other person's finished or if they're taking a break?

I used to talk while my parents were watching TV. One time someone (can't remember who, I think it was my Nana) asked me why I did that, and I replied that "what I have to say is more important than what they're watching". However, I eventually realized that I wouldn't want someone talking during my shows, so I started waiting till commercial breaks. I can't tell you how many times I've sat through shows I hate just to satisfy my need to talk to my parents during the commercial breaks. However, I'm finding that the intense need to talk to them is gradually subsiding, so I don't even watch TV with them anymore.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 4:33 am

That's one of the reasons why I prefer one-on-one conversations......that way, on average, I get 50% of the air time. 8)

There are a lot of groups in which getting a word in is like a competition. Anybody who's a little bit shy will be completely ignored. I'm not interested in groups that do that kind of thing. It's just too hard to get any attention at all from them.

I even have trouble with polite threesomes. I'll feel left out if the other two start having a dialogue, and if I start having a dialogue with one of them, I'll feel guilty for leaving the other one out. But it's hard for me to think of stuff that would interest both of them.....it's bad enough keeping one person's preferences in mind when I'm talking, let alone two.

But I seem to be improving with age. I'm less inside my own head these days and sometimes I can just let go of myself and take an interest in what the others are saying, with no particular urge to speak myself. Like listening to the radio.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 11:43 am

This probably my most obvious social deficit.

One great piece of training I got as a teen was secondary school debating. Because of the structured format, and the need to get all my thoughts out within the time alloted to me, it got me into the habit of writing notes about my thoughts, and training myself to refer to them later.

I can't always do it now, if I am in an informal setting, and even at my advanced age, I still get accused of interrupting excessively. But I'm better about it than I was!

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 3:02 pm

When I have something to communicate I must say it-I also hate it when I need to tell someone something important or need help with something-I get voicemail-It takes alot for me to call to get help and when I want it I usually need it right now-not 20 minutes from now because you were on another line asking your wife or girfriend whats for dinner or somesuch thing as that.

hans66
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2010, 10:31 pm

I wait to talk with someone until the person I want to talk to, has finished the conversation. It is hard for me to insert myself into the conversation with the same ease as others sometimes do. They let him insert, but when I try, they tell me I must wait until the conversation has ended.

But this can sometimes be so extreme, that they actually exclude me from the conversation. Possibly they abuse my state of autism, thinking: Hans is autistic so we can let him wait. If he interrupts, I will remind him of social skills. Not letting someone to insert himself into the conversation, is also some kind of not applying social skills.

Most people don't see that I want to say something in addition to the conversation, seldomly to come with a new subject. If I have a new subject, I don't wish to insert but wait until the end of the conversation, but I also ad a few seconds of silence. I use silences often for changing the subject.

There aren't many NTs (my boss is one of the few of them) that notice me wanting to participate. I make eye-contact to him or to whom he was talking to, and then he notices that I want to say something. Then he gives me the chance to do so.

hans66
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2010, 10:35 pm

Pistonhead wrote:
eon wrote:

YES! This! I hate it when say you are talking about fat people and then they move on to video games but you still have something to say about obesity. Even if they shut up it's like "okay guys REWIND cause I was left out".

I have the same problem. Then I will judge if it was really important or interesting. If it really is, I go back to the previous subject, in your case obesity. If it isn't, I let it go. I give up talking, or I might have something to say about video games.

On the other hand, when I am in conversation with someone I sometimes look around to see whether someone is approaching or making eye-contact to me or to my conversation party. When I hear him breathing in, or pointing the finger, I know he is about th speak. Then I stop talking, but finish my last sentence as fast as possible. There is sometimes also a problem that I forget to look around, and then they break in. That is often NT-behaviour as well. They just fail to observe.

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2010, 10:49 pm

If it's a topic I like, then yes. Generally know. because my topicals are very specific and they contain many pop culture metaphores. That I try to squeeze into a conversation. Simple communication is out of my grasp for some reason. As well I lack practice with communicating, so either my voice is squeaky or too soft. Especially if I have to speak up to request something. Talking to myself I have a normal voice odd though. Or amusing myself in boring situations ie riding the elevator walking down a redundant hall. (and there are lots of them on this planet. These NTs are a master at least that. waiting in lines. I blurt out funny movie lines. Just insane nonsequiturers, from video games. I am partial to Al Bundy. Like you're in a bank line up then you mutter in your own lost in space way "4 touch downs in a game"..... Then people give you weird looks. And you don't notice them.

Or I start dancing or bopping to imaginary music, instead of just stand there like a limp bored, New World Order poisoned drooling NT, with lobotomy drool. This is extremely painful for me. This of course P.O. the order takers as you're suppose to figure out what you want in the line up.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 10:59 pm

I'm pretty sure everyone hates waiting to speak.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 11:27 pm

I don't like having to wait to talk, either. Today, I wanted to have an in depth conversation, with one of the student workers, at the clubhouse. She kept on getting up and down, five times. When I finally got to talk to her, about life's issues, it felt like it was such a relief, like a big weight, was lifted off my shoulders.