Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2010, 10:45 am

Can anyone explain to me why people at the gym work out and do one set on one machine or with free weights and then take up space on another machine or free weight area and then try to go back to the first area? Is there some type of benefit to exercising like this? Am I being inconsiderate by doing multiple sets in one area until my muscles reach fatigue doing that exercise?

Should I be copying their behavior?

Keeping an eye on these individuals, I never truly see them make any gains...
I feel like I'm missing something. Does anyone have any ideas about the situation?

"Power is the reason that we all are fighting for, control your body, your soul and heart. Yes- some of us who surrender are like lambs to the slaughter; get the power & try harder to reach the next stage."
-SMT III

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 12:09 pm

Yes, for high weight and low reps you should take like 60 seconds rest inbetween sets.

I don't know about your area but where I am, we usually take turns doing sets.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 12:14 pm

Alternating exercises between legs and arms, explosive and strength can help make better use of your time.

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2010, 12:18 pm

I don't know, it seems like it's just wasting time though... Why jump from leg press to seated calf lift and back and forth between sets and not allow someone else to spend time and focus? I don't lift heavy weights, I'm lifting lighter weights at higher reps... it just feels like it's holding up two pieces of equipment/areas instead of one. I have no issue with people working multiple muscle groups, but multiple muscle groups with multiple equipment with alternating sets seems complicated and obtuse.

Or do I still not get it?

"Power is the reason that we all are fighting for, control your body, your soul and heart. Yes- some of us who surrender are like lambs to the slaughter; get the power & try harder to reach the next stage."
-SMT III

Last edited by jayroo79 on 29 Jul 2010, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jul 2010, 12:19 pm

There's nothing rude about that; it's circuit training. Usually if they're cutting (refining muscle tone and not building size), they'll usually do a circuit routine. If they're bulking up, they'll do many sets of only 6 or 10 reps on one machine (or bench), then move to the next. Like anything else, I'd use courtesy. That is, if someone's doing a circuit routine between the lat pulldown and the shoulder press, for example, and you see them doing 2 sets on one, then 2 sets on the other, back & forth, maybe wait to use it until they're done. If not, it will break their rhythm. As an aspie bodybuilder, I have my own gym at home. I don't think I'd be able to cope so well with trying to assess what everyone else in a gym is doing, and worrying about whether I'm going to step on their toes or not. I know that's not an option for many people, and I'm very lucky to have been able to do it. But honestly, I doubt I'd be in the sport if I had to go to a regular gym.

Charles

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2010, 12:47 pm

kx250rider wrote:
There's nothing rude about that; it's circuit training. Usually if they're cutting (refining muscle tone and not building size), they'll usually do a circuit routine. If they're bulking up, they'll do many sets of only 6 or 10 reps on one machine (or bench), then move to the next. Like anything else, I'd use courtesy. That is, if someone's doing a circuit routine between the lat pulldown and the shoulder press, for example, and you see them doing 2 sets on one, then 2 sets on the other, back & forth, maybe wait to use it until they're done. If not, it will break their rhythm. As an aspie bodybuilder, I have my own gym at home. I don't think I'd be able to cope so well with trying to assess what everyone else in a gym is doing, and worrying about whether I'm going to step on their toes or not. I know that's not an option for many people, and I'm very lucky to have been able to do it. But honestly, I doubt I'd be in the sport if I had to go to a regular gym.

Charles

Ok, thank you. That's the answer I needed. I had no idea what these people were doing.

-SMT III

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 2:26 pm

I don't believe anyone with a social disorder would go to a gym. Weight benches are cheap, and there's nothing you can do there around sweaty, aggressive strangers that you can't do at home, by yourself.

Antares
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2010, 3:36 pm

Yep, it's circuit training - if you want to use the same piece of equipment, you can ask to work in with them. Most people would be fine with that even if they're not circuit training, as you're meant to take breaks between sets anyway.

It's a bit much of them to expect to be able to hog two or three bits of equipment at a time anyway, especially if it's busy; if they say you can't work in, they're being the twit, not you.

AspieJ
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jul 2010, 4:13 pm

i dont socialize at the gym. i just go to lift. I have headphones with music to keep me focused and to minimize the auditory stimulation. Also, it keeps people from bothering me while working out. If i had the space, i would prefer to workout at home. I like to workout when it's less crowded...around 2pm. It gets crazy after 4pm and makes me anxious.
there is an etiquette at the gym. someone cant just "hog" a machine. Ask if you can work in. In most cases you can. It's not fair to others who are waiting.

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2010, 6:19 pm

AspieJ wrote:
i dont socialize at the gym. i just go to lift. I have headphones with music to keep me focused and to minimize the auditory stimulation. Also, it keeps people from bothering me while working out. If i had the space, i would prefer to workout at home. I like to workout when it's less crowded...around 2pm. It gets crazy after 4pm and makes me anxious.
there is an etiquette at the gym. someone cant just "hog" a machine. Ask if you can work in. In most cases you can. It's not fair to others who are waiting.

I don't socialize much at the gym either. I've worn headphones there for quite a while now. I go in the morning when there's not as many people there but the circuit training folk confused me because it seemed like they were hogging the machines/benches. Now it seems I'm the one who is being inconsiderate.

Willard wrote:
I don't believe anyone with a social disorder would go to a gym. Weight benches are cheap, and there's nothing you can do there around sweaty, aggressive strangers that you can't do at home, by yourself.

I won't let a possible social disorder keep me from staying in shape. Currently my gym is a much better option than a bench at home.

-SMT III

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jul 2010, 10:15 am

I feel looked-at, and judged at a gym, so that's the main reason I built up my own weight room at home. Although all due respect to Willard, you need more than a bar & bench if you're serious. And the quality is important. I'm a little more into it than some people who are wanting to tone up, rather than to pursue bodybuilding as a sport, which I do. I think the minimum equipment should include a good Olympic flat & incline bench, and preferably a Smith machine if you're going to be working out alone. Also a set of hex dumbells, at least a pair each of 10-lb up to at least 45-lbs. Also you need a high pulley machine for reverse-gravity lifts, and either a pec deck or a seated row machine. For lower body, a minimum of a leg curl, and a leg extension or hack squat/leg press. Then there are several other pieces that I consider a must-have for me, but maybe others wouldn't agree. Here are a couple pics of my weight room:

Charles

Antares
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2010, 3:34 pm

jayroo79 wrote:
the circuit training folk confused me because it seemed like they were hogging the machines/benches. Now it seems I'm the one who is being inconsiderate.

You're not: you use what you need and that's fine. It's a bit much to hog two or three things at a time and refuse to let anyone else have a turn as I've seen some circuit trainers do. It's polite to let people work in if they ask, but don't worry about using the stuff that you need, that's why it's there.

Thumper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2010, 8:49 pm

Google "supersets". I think that is what you describe. If there is Exercise A & Exercise B instead of doing AAA then BBB you do ABABAB....

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Aug 2010, 9:56 am

kx250rider wrote:
I feel looked-at, and judged at a gym, so that's the main reason I built up my own weight room at home. Although all due respect to Willard, you need more than a bar & bench if you're serious. And the quality is important. I'm a little more into it than some people who are wanting to tone up, rather than to pursue bodybuilding as a sport, which I do. I think the minimum equipment should include a good Olympic flat & incline bench, and preferably a Smith machine if you're going to be working out alone. Also a set of hex dumbells, at least a pair each of 10-lb up to at least 45-lbs. Also you need a high pulley machine for reverse-gravity lifts, and either a pec deck or a seated row machine. For lower body, a minimum of a leg curl, and a leg extension or hack squat/leg press. Then there are several other pieces that I consider a must-have for me, but maybe others wouldn't agree. Here are a couple pics of my weight room:

Charles

Your weight room looks fantastic! :D

Antares wrote:
jayroo79 wrote:
the circuit training folk confused me because it seemed like they were hogging the machines/benches. Now it seems I'm the one who is being inconsiderate.

You're not: you use what you need and that's fine. It's a bit much to hog two or three things at a time and refuse to let anyone else have a turn as I've seen some circuit trainers do. It's polite to let people work in if they ask, but don't worry about using the stuff that you need, that's why it's there.

Thanks, I am trying to be more aware of what others may be doing before I begin my routine.
Thank you all for explaining.

-SMT III

Darklinggirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2010, 4:40 pm

Er. I'm female, 40 yrs old and a diagnosed aspergian. Have been since 11 years old. I like sports, particularly ones that can be done alone, even in the midst of lots of other people. I get lost in the moment. No one notices me. I've been into body building on and off since I was twenty one. So yes, it is possible to be AS and bodybuild.
I go to the gym up to five times a week. I have found a partner tho recently to train with, who is, guess what? Also aspergian. We train alone but compare notes and help each other with the heavy weights.
I bodybuild. It helps with my depression. The same for my partner.
The exercises being talked about (I think) are called supersets, rather than just circuits, which are done for toning and cardio fitness. We do them one day a week. They are designed for high intensity rapid muscle gains. They arent used for strength.....more for muscle building and definition. But you cant hog machines in the gym, you need at least two or even three machines to do them effectively, so if ur going to do them you need to work in a group or agree with the gym to do it one time a week when you are not going to annoy everyone else. :)