Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DHolden5884
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2018, 3:52 pm

Oh, my Secondary school was.

The school's attitude was to focus on the 'gifted few', and disregard the rest as unimportant. It was a dog eat dog environment and those who were seen as easy targets had no one to talk to without it backfiring on them. The worst thing for me was the PE teachers 'solution' to the 'problem' of me suffering a couple of Epileptic seizures during his lessons, which was to put me in 'forgot your PE kit' detention room during every PE lesson until I had finished the school entirely, instead of first talking to either my parents or my doctor about what to do (he had to when I told my parents about it, but nothing was changed).

I didn't know about my Aspergers at the time until around Year 10, which was only discovered by a psychologist who my parents arranged me to see due to bullying I was going through. It's left its mark and my parents still regret ever sending me there.

Andrew Rodgers
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Apr 2018, 8:19 am

And I just would like to mention a few movies to the topic. Don't laugh, I know that life isn't a movie, but still I like such films like:

- Freedom Writers
- Precious
- The Class (2008)
- Coach Carter
- Detachment (2011)

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2018, 11:44 am

To make a long story short, most of my schools were bad. I've had some bad experiences with college as well.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 12:36 am

I wonder at this point if pretending that weeding out the weak is not as much an integral part of school's job as promoting the strong is serves any purpose. There's no way around the fact that tribal creatures, like humans, need mechanisms to get rid of weak members before they doom the whole group to perish, either through inability to feed itself or by being conquered by a stronger, less squeamish group. Hence, bullying will always be pervasive in some form or other, and not just the student-on-student variety.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

TheForgetivePanda326600
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2018, 10:49 am

Yes I still attend it but I live in a bad area so it's to be expected.

TheForgetivePanda326600
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2018, 10:51 am

DHolden5884 wrote:
Oh, my Secondary school was.

The school's attitude was to focus on the 'gifted few', and disregard the rest as unimportant. It was a dog eat dog environment and those who were seen as easy targets had no one to talk to without it backfiring on them. The worst thing for me was the PE teachers 'solution' to the 'problem' of me suffering a couple of Epileptic seizures during his lessons, which was to put me in 'forgot your PE kit' detention room during every PE lesson until I had finished the school entirely, instead of first talking to either my parents or my doctor about what to do (he had to when I told my parents about it, but nothing was changed).

I didn't know about my Aspergers at the time until around Year 10, which was only discovered by a psychologist who my parents arranged me to see due to bullying I was going through. It's left its mark and my parents still regret ever sending me there.

Sounds pretty similar to my situation now. I have my grades though so I'll get through it soon...

Katie0405
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 May 2018, 4:01 am

I'm proud to say and lucky enough that I've attended a good and reputable school.