Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2006, 11:44 pm

I type weirdly, and people at school have always stated that I typed weirdly. They had tried to get me to type in a more normal way, but I just couldn't grasp it. So, now I'm an odd typist. I type with two fingers for the most part, with the occasional third or fourth thrown in. And I type like 80 to 90 words a minute, with just two fingers for the most part.

I don't know what it is. I just learned this way. I started doing it when I was very young, because I started typing far younger than most kids my age, apparently. I just hit the keys with two fingers, and I seemed to quickly learn the placement of the keyboard without anyone's help.

Is this an aspie thing?

- Ray M -

Maka-Ra
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 May 2006, 2:11 am

I typed that way for many years. Gradually, as I got faster and older, I began to type with several more fingers, but I still type with only four to six fingers. I am now comparable to the upper division CS majors in terms of speed and reliability.

It may well have something to do with Asperger's Syndrome.

- M

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 4:03 am

I type with all them the usual way, not all that fast, but a lot faster than I can do with just 2 because I can type looking at just the screen when the light is a bit bad for me to see the keyboard all that well.
The digits I usually use just 2 fingers.
One thing I can't get the hang of is that phone texting. with that I am a complete Ludite

Paul

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 7:38 am

I use all the fingers.

autisticon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2006, 7:46 am

I used to type with just two fingers, however I was required to take a couple of course on typing during highschool that retaught me how to type. I used type rather fast, however I'm sure that now I type much faster than before.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 11:28 am

I use most of my fingers when I type, and both hands (fnarr fnarr). ;)

thorn969
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 May 2006, 1:35 pm

I'm not sure exactly how many finger I used. I think mostly about 5. I guess it is almost two fingers. The main fingers in use are in fact the middle and pointer fingers of each hand, although I use my thumb of my right hand to press space and the ring finger of my left hand to press shift. I can type blindfolded with decent accuracy if I am concentrating on it. Mostly it is really the middle fingers that I used but the pointer gets thrown in the there a few times a sentence.

I think odd typing style is an aspie thing, probably using less than the normal amount of fingers and being able to do it quite well.

I have taken several typing courses that have attempted to teach me to type properly, but I've always returned to my typing because I can do it faster and more accurately.

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

02 May 2006, 2:34 pm

I type with both hands, all fingers, but not in the traditionally taught way. My hands fly around the keyboard like mad, and it amazes some people! :lol:

I am also an expert at one-handed typing. :P

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2006, 2:47 pm

I only type with my two index fingers. Do any of you think I could get fired from a job doing this?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 3:00 pm

I type with both hands, but I find it hard to stick to the proper form, becasue I have short Fingers.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 3:18 pm

Stereokid wrote:
I only type with my two index fingers. Do any of you think I could get fired from a job doing this?

I don't think so. I've taken a few typing tests, and they don't care how you type. They are more worried about things like accuracy and speed.

- Ray M -

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 4:04 pm

Aeturnus wrote:
So, now I'm an odd typist. I type with two fingers for the most part, with the occasional third or fourth thrown in. And I type like 80 to 90 words a minute, with just two fingers for the most part.

Is this an aspie thing?

- Ray M -

No way dude!

I wasn't interested in typing, and never saw any need, till I got a computer...then, late in life, w&y back in ninetyfour, when I realised I had to type in every command, it became obvious I had to acquire the skill;

So how? Was I born with it? I certainly wasn't taught such at school! I got a (software) typing teacher and (decrepit though I am) became, though discinclined to practice, at least a passable typist!

Get your fingers out! If a sad ole git like me can do it, so can you

vivreestesperer
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2006, 4:06 pm

Hmm thats interesting. I do the same thing. I've been typing since I was like.... 10? I dont know how young. But for a long time. And no one taught me to type so I guess I just figured it out myself but what I figured out was how to type w/ two fingers.... I use the pointer fingers is that what you call them?
My fingers also just figured out where all the keys were and I can type faster than most people without looking at the keyboard, but using two fingrs. I dont know how to type with 5 but never bothered me.

When i was in college the most often comment i would get is "wow! you type fast!" which was so weird, id just be sitting there minding my own business in the library or computer lab and some stranger would come by and say "wow! you type fast!" once like 3 people in 10 min did. itwas kind of weird.

Kate

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 4:23 pm

vivreestesperer wrote:
Hmm thats interesting. I do the same thing. I've been typing since I was like.... 10? I dont know how young.
e

Howinteresting that, though pissed as a fart, Ifailed to notice that (excuse me, I need a drink) that you ha; well I expct you know?

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2006, 5:10 pm

I use pretty much all of my fingers while typing... but all that matters is you have a typing style you are comfortable with.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 2:25 am

vivreestesperer wrote:
Hmm thats interesting. I do the same thing. I've been typing since I was like.... 10? I dont know how young. But for a long time. And no one taught me to type so I guess I just figured it out myself but what I figured out was how to type w/ two fingers.... I use the pointer fingers is that what you call them?

Actually, I think I use three fingers primarily on my right hand, and two on my left hand.

I imagine the pointer finger would be the next digit closest to the thumb, so yes ... I use those.

- Ray M -