Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 10:35 pm

So I've been having a lot of issues with my skin lately. Things seem to be going in a sort of self-destructive cycle, so I'm not sure where to begin. Here goes nothing, I guess:

I have a lot of sensory and sensitivity issues. Even though I've been only using hypoallergenic skin products for a while, my skin still keeps breaking out in sores and blisters on my legs. I thought it was from shaving, as well as from the feeling of stubble, so I got an epilator (similar to an electric razor but with a mechanical set of tweezers). This has helped somewhat, as it doesn't scrape my skin and there's less discomfort from hair growing out. Furthermore, it doesn't keep sores open like shaving did - my skin finally has an opportunity to heal.

The annoying thing now is that I'm constantly itching - I feel compelled to scratch my legs a lot, as well as my feet even. I always feel like my skin is prickling and it's not really healing. It's really unbearable and has gotten to the point where I have to take Benadryl every night before going to bed. I don't think I have poison ivy but I might as well - it looks like it and is probably just as painful.

The social issue isn't so bad - of course, I'm insecure about my legs, but if anyone asks I just tell them I have a lot of mosquito bites. It's just those times when I'm alone or I'm supposed to be focused on something else that they seem to itch even more.

I can't help but worry about my skin. Could I be allergic to something? I had an allergic reaction to a medication earlier this year due to faulty labeling (anaphylaxis), so I've been extremely paranoid about consuming a number of products. I just hope I don't have any more allergies than I already do. Just thinking about it stresses me out.

Have any of you dealt with this? It's really not fun - tonight I had to cover my entire legs in calamine lotion after a freezing shower. I just wish my skin would be in a calm state as is, and not cause me any trouble. I had eczema as a baby, and have had these sores spontaneously pop up every now and then over the years. I just want my legs to not be in so much pain. What should I do?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 10:53 pm

Itching can be a sign of a more serious medical condition. You should see your doctor and have a complete workup.