Autism Talk TV - Ep. 6 - Steve Silberman - Pt 1

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

05 Aug 2010, 12:42 pm

A minor's consent is irrelevant until he is no longer a minor. Parents have the ability to give consent for their child's body to be donated to science. Whether or not the kid is alive to give consent is not applicable because he couldn't give consent even if he were alive.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 1:55 pm

Awesome interview, Alex! I really like this series and look forward to more. I think we need this sort of PR and I hope everyone can watch.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 5:56 pm

It would be nice if the members of this community were able to have "all the information." Not "please call me" if you want to know; just post it. Obviously, people do want to know the story or it wouldn't have become an issue in this thread so quickly.

But I have to agree that working from the inside is going to be more effective. Autism Speaks is the biggest organization out there, and those who are unhappy with it's past practices and agenda are going to have to deal with that reality. It is better to influence their opinions and funding than continue to fight.

It just ... would have been nice for people here to hear it first. It IS a significant change.

Love the Silberman interview; that was one of the most influential articles I read when I first heard my son might be on the spectrum, and it struck home in many positive ways.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 8:39 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
It would be nice if the members of this community were able to have "all the information." Not "please call me" if you want to know; just post it. Obviously, people do want to know the story or it wouldn't have become an issue in this thread so quickly.

But I have to agree that working from the inside is going to be more effective. Autism Speaks is the biggest organization out there, and those who are unhappy with it's past practices and agenda are going to have to deal with that reality. It is better to influence their opinions and funding than continue to fight.

It just ... would have been nice for people here to hear it first. It IS a significant change.

Love the Silberman interview; that was one of the most influential articles I read when I first heard my son might be on the spectrum, and it struck home in many positive ways.

It is a good thing that they are changing. But in my case since my ability to judge body language and tone is so poor I can rarely detect change and always wonder if the change is genuine or they'll just backstab us later... As long as things go smoothly this is a positive step forward. But if they start to go backwards and doing more negative stuff another plan may be needed. But for now it looks like its getting better :)

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 8:57 pm

I find the assertion that Autism is more prevalent here in the Silicon Valley to be extremely interesting.

As far as Autism Speaks is concerned... I have no real opinion on the organization and feel that it's good to get all sides of an argument before jumping to conclusions.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 7:14 am

alex wrote:
we didn't sell out anything. accepting underwriting support does not mean that the underwriters have any editorial influence on the content.

... and if you were to accept "underwriting support" from slave traders, it would not in any way mean you approved of slavery?

(Substitute any reprehensible group/practice of your choice.)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 7:33 am

Autism Speakeasy TV topic

In my consistent manner I will view this new relationship with Autism Speaks with a critical eye, and reserve judgement until there is more satisfactory evidence.

Thanks to all who made the video and its broadcast.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 12:20 pm

lau wrote:
alex wrote:
we didn't sell out anything. accepting underwriting support does not mean that the underwriters have any editorial influence on the content.

... and if you were to accept "underwriting support" from slave traders, it would not in any way mean you approved of slavery?

(Substitute any reprehensible group/practice of your choice.)

How is Autism Speaks comparable to slavery?

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 1:27 pm

ImMelody wrote:
You give credence to their cause by allowing the WrongPlanet name to be attached to their organization.

Autism Speaks can't be "all bad" if they support WrongPlanet. Who cares that they're still funding genetic research to "prevent" Autism. Who cares that none of their money goes to helping families or Autistic people? Who cares that their board of directors doesn't include anyone with Autism? And sorry, them paying you to attach their name does not count to me as helping Autistic people.

Autism Speaks isn't all bad. And anyone who wants to have any credence in talking about the things that are bad about Autism Speaks needs to recognize that.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 1:52 pm

Autism Speaks is a wildcard. Years ago Autism Speaks made me shudder and their practices were abhorrent. To their credit, Autism Speaks has made tremendous strides. That being said, I still harbor some reservations. I do appreciate they are engaging new people and redirecting their focus.

Years ago, when Autism Speaks was actually funding research, Autism Speaks was considered, amongst the research/science population, as a joke with practices that were patently absurd. "Cherry picking" research data just does not work. I think when Autism Speaks became so vehemently rejected they came to realize their organization needed to change their ways. Significantly, the Culture of Autism viscerally rejected Autism Speaks - their claims had become painfully counterproductive and an embarrassment.

It does behoove Autism Speaks to move forward and change their ways - I do see this yet maintain my healthy skepticism. Maybe we should give them a 2nd chance (and Autism Speaks might need a dose of humility).

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 2:17 pm

LabPet wrote:
Autism Speaks is a wildcard. Years ago Autism Speaks made me shudder and their practices were abhorrent. To their credit, Autism Speaks has made tremendous strides. That being said, I still harbor some reservations. I do appreciate they are engaging new people and redirecting their focus.

Years ago, when Autism Speaks was actually funding research, Autism Speaks was considered, amongst the research/science population, as a joke with practices that were patently absurd. "Cherry picking" research data just does not work. I think when Autism Speaks became so vehemently rejected they came to realize their organization needed to change their ways. Significantly, the Culture of Autism viscerally rejected Autism Speaks - their claims had become painfully counterproductive and an embarrassment.

It does behoove Autism Speaks to move forward and change their ways - I do see this yet maintain my healthy skepticism. Maybe we should give them a 2nd chance (and Autism Speaks might need a dose of humility).

I always appreciate your knowledgeable input; I haven't been following their attempts at evolution all that closely. You promote a solid approach - steps towards reconciliaton with a healthy dose of skepticism, is how I would summarize it. Thanks.

PS - to anyone who may assume otherwise, I was as much surprised by the new connection as any other member here; just because I work as a moderator does not mean I have much unique information on what the site owner is doing. It shouldn't change anything here on the site, that Alex has made this connection.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 2:40 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
LabPet wrote:

I always appreciate your knowledgeable input; I haven't been following their attempts at evolution all that closely. You promote a solid approach - steps towards reconciliaton with a healthy dose of skepticism, is how I would summarize it. Thanks.

PS - to anyone who may assume otherwise, I was as much surprised by the new connection as any other member here; just because I work as a moderator does not mean I have much unique information on what the site owner is doing. It shouldn't change anything here on the site, that Alex has made this connection.

Thank you...and that's really a compliment. To add about Autism Speaks - most interesting development, to the betterment of the sciences and the Autistic Community: (Long ago) Autism Speaks had failed and betrayed the trust of the Autistic Community. Plus, the research/science community was at least dismayed by Autism Speaks. Curiously, this tied the science community (many of whom are certainly Aspies anyway!) to the Autistic Community - The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Trust is a strong attribute amongst Autists, as well all know, and betrayal is taken hard. I've read, repeatedly, many Aspies state to Autism Speaks, "Resistance is Futile." Myself included. Seems Autism Speaks had to listen, and even befriend, 'the enemy' else never be taken seriously. Fortunately, we are also a forgiving type and when given the opportunity are often happy to share.

Essentially, Autism Speaks was 2 to 1 so they had to change to even stay in the game. I see evidence they have, to their credit.

One cannot know, but perhaps an Autism Speaks representative is reading this very thread. Mr. Silberman, well done and thank you.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 5:22 am

It is less than a year since Autism Speaks chose to release the I am Autism video. It's still there, touting for donations. I wasn't even aware (until just now) that it was plagiarised from this article by Marty Murphy.

The current PSA snippet at http://www.youtube.com/user/AutismSpeaksVids ends up by saying:

Autism Speaks wrote:
... Autism is getting closer to home. Today, 1 in 110 children is diagnosed with autism. That's a 600% increase in the last 20 years. Learn the signs at Autism Speaks dot org.
That's their scaremongering propaganda from one month ago. In what way have they changed their tune?

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 2:49 pm

lau wrote:
It is less than a year since Autism Speaks chose to release the I am Autism video. It's still there, touting for donations. I wasn't even aware (until just now) that it was plagiarised from this article by Marty Murphy.

The current PSA snippet at http://www.youtube.com/user/AutismSpeaksVids ends up by saying:
Autism Speaks wrote:
... Autism is getting closer to home. Today, 1 in 110 children is diagnosed with autism. That's a 600% increase in the last 20 years. Learn the signs at Autism Speaks dot org.
That's their scaremongering propaganda from one month ago. In what way have they changed their tune?

The "I am autism" video is yet another reason I'm not an autism speaks fan. Bit I've been avoiding their site since last February so I'm a bit behind on what they're up to now.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 2:56 pm

lau wrote:

Autism Speaks wrote:

Wow... that video was kind of misleading.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 4:49 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
lau wrote:

Autism Speaks wrote:

Wow... that video was kind of misleading.

If that video is used to represent the entire autistic population its no wonder their are so many issues with stereotyping and parents giving up on their kids... I don't even want to think about the # of instances I've been hearing of parents killing their autistic kids & sometimes themselves. :(