Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AspieDannie
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 May 2006, 8:10 pm

My name is daniel. Im fifteen. I think this is for adults. I dont know. Ill post here anyway. I have views of my own. Lets see. Just this afternoon there comes on this news report. Its about soda in schools. Some people want it banned from schools. I know things. I study stuff. I know what soda does. I know about high fructose corn syrup. I know it fools around with a brain enzyme or protein or whatever. I think its called leptin or something. It does something with this enzyme. It makes you want more. So you drink more. You drink more and more. I know soda leads to type 2 diabetes. Thats why they want to ban it. Its simple. Its beyond understandable. Yet theres my daddy. A stupid jerk. A murderer of our children. Theres probably many more like him lurking in our shadows.

Daddy says that he drank soda as a kid. Daddy says he didnt get diabetes. Daddy says he didnt get fat. Daddy says all kids need is exercise. I tell him the truth about the situation. Daddy tells me I believe everthing I read. What does daddy believe? All daddy gives a damn about is self preservation. That's all he gives a damn about. He wants to drink soda. you're a murderer daddy. You want our kids to die a painful death. Im glad you drink so much soda. Maybe someday I can attend your funeral.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 8:28 pm

If you drink a lot of this stuff, day in day out and don't exercise properly, eventually it will screw you up good and proper. As will a lot of drinking, eating and smoking. If you look after yourself, you shouldn't have any problems.

Politically, I'm a libertarian, which basically means that adults should be allowed to do pretty much what they want as long as they don't harm others. I don't think drinks like that should be sold in school, though. It's got something dodgy about it.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 8:36 pm

All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, but SHE would'nt give it to me...... :lol:

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 9:04 pm

Like this will really stop anything, people will just bring pop from home and stuff.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 9:22 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
Like this will really stop anything, people will just bring pop from home and stuff.

Never underestimate the food police and their desire to control what you eat. :) I'm sure banning what is in a kid's lunchbox is next. Let's see they want kids to drink milk - plenty of people think that is full of garbage and/or are allergic to it, Drink unsweetened juices (yum!) and are they organic(?), or water (is it filtered - how is it filtered - is it from plastic bottles that some claim leach chemicals into the water?). And then there are those that push soy while others say that soy is not healthy either. So, why not let people make their own desicions - if there parent's want them to drink pop, kool-aid, goat's milk, or springwater from the north side of the mountain. This is about control.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2006, 11:47 pm

The food police aside, soda is something that simply has no redeeming value to it when it comes to our health, yet people drink it like it's going out of style.

I know when I was in grade school, kids were only allowed to drink soda on special ocassions. Any other time and the staff would have confiscated it and dumped it down the drain, and this was in a public school mind you circa 15 years ago.

So I really don't see any problem with this.

AS_Interlocking
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2006, 1:14 am

I always appreciated my soda, in HS I was so busy with clubs and homework after school I needed the caffeine just to survive and not pass out in class!

I feel sorry for the people in HS now who are like me, and how they will no longer have the convenience of caffeine during lunch unless they bring it from home. I feel sorry for every healthy, non-obese child or teen who enjoys soda from school vending machines today--this new policy is a back-door punishment for something they did not do and a problem they do not have. And as has been mentioned here, I can see soda packed from home being next on the list.

Schools will probably ban sodas brought from home because kids whose parents don't let them have soda will use lunch money to buy soda off of kids whose parents pack sodas in the lunch. IMHO, parents should not expect to have that much power and school districts should not be focusing finite supervisory and disciplinary resources enforcing something so frivilous--if a kid wants soda, that kid shall have soda regardless of what Mom and Dad's wishes are. If it's just one can a day at lunch, it's not going to be the end of the world.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 1:20 am

In 5 years fast food as we know it will be illegal. Thats the way were heading I just hope someone will stop it.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 2:51 am

maybe we could get nutritionally dangerous food out of our schools if we could convince the Autism Spectrum curebies that the increase in diagnosed AS cases is directly linked to the increase in junk food available in school.

:twisted:

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 9:14 am

Scrapheap wrote:
All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, but SHE would'nt give it to me...... :lol:

What is the name of that song?

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 11:33 am

Sorce wrote:
Scrapheap wrote:

What is the name of that song?

Suicidal Tendencies did the song, right? I always thought of it as the Pepsi song (lol).

Seigneur
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2006, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Daddy says that he drank soda as a kid. Daddy says he didnt get diabetes. Daddy says he didnt get fat. Daddy says all kids need is exercise. I tell him the truth about the situation. Daddy tells me I believe everthing I read. What does daddy believe? All daddy gives a damn about is self preservation. That's all he gives a damn about. He wants to drink soda. you're a murderer daddy. You want our kids to die a painful death. Im glad you drink so much soda. Maybe someday I can attend your funeral.

Soda might be bad for you, but it doesn't kill you.

I don't actually drink soda, unless there's nothing else. I don't care what other people eat or do though. There's no reason to ban food when we know so little about nutrition as-is. That goes for oreos, Mcdonalds, and fried chicken too. None of which I eat.

My school is weird. They have a contract with Coke, so there are coke machines (which don't operate during school hours) but you aren't allowed to have any soda not made by the Coke Company.

Quote:
maybe we could get nutritionally dangerous food out of our schools if we could convince the Autism Spectrum curebies that the increase in diagnosed AS cases is directly linked to the increase in junk food available in school.

Yep.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 3:56 pm

This is something that has been quite a concern for quite some time. It's not really new, though the prospects of banning it are. The health ramifications of soda have always been a concern in many circles. The problem with it is this:

The most primary concern is, as has been mentioned in this discussion, is the use of high-fructose corn syrup, a substance that should be banned regardless. It is true that it plays around with a substance in the brain called Liptin, which in turn causes people who eat or drink things with this type of sugar to feel considerably hungry or thirsty. People who drink soda commonly state that they are excessively thirsty. Marketers know this.

The second problem I have with this is that high-fructose corn syrup is in many things besides soda, but those things are hardly mentioned. It is seen in juices and cakes, and many of these juices are said to have high levels of natural ingredients. If we're gonna ban soda, then maybe we should ban almost everything on the current market. The fact is that we should be pressing for the complete banning of high-fructose corn syrup ... period. There are other substances that could be used, such as glucose, sucrose or splenda. Many of these sweeteners aren't necessarily good for anyone in high amounts, but high-fructose corn syrup is the worst that could be used.

The third problem I have is that many things that contain NutraSweet, or Aspartame, would most likely be allowed. Aspartame is made by Monsanto, one of the worst companies in the existence of mankind. Aspartame has been linked to things like certain traits of multiple sclerosis if used for a long period of time. Yet, most diets used to and still do, such as diet soda, commonly use this type of sweetener. Aspartame may actually prove to be even worse high-fructose corn syrup, but the contemporary medical establishment shuns at studies like this other than for public relations purposes.

The best way to go is organic, obviously ... but it's not always easy to go that route and is sometimes more expensive.

- Ray M -

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2006, 4:14 pm

Aeturnus wrote:
The third problem I have is that many things that contain NutraSweet, or Aspartame, would most likely be allowed. Aspartame is made by Monsanto, one of the worst companies in the existence of mankind. Aspartame has been linked to things like certain traits of multiple sclerosis if used for a long period of time. Yet, most diets used to and still do, such as diet soda, commonly use this type of sweetener. Aspartame may actually prove to be even worse high-fructose corn syrup, but the contemporary medical establishment shuns at studies like this other than for public relations purposes.

- Ray M -

Yes - it is funny that diet soda will be allowed with all the questions about the artificial sweeteners. That is why I don't care for this food restriction stuff. Like the way they were pushing for McDonalds to offer salads because they are healthier. Well, not really if you add all the meat and cheese and dressing.

AspieDannie
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 May 2006, 10:06 pm

Most of you posting here are asperger? Right? It doesnt seem so to me. Daniel speaks again. Daniel has important info once again.

I read books on asperger. Most with it are rule following to the tee. Soda causes diabetes. Soda causes obesity. Obesity is said to be second cause of death or something. Someone says soda dont kill you. Its effects do kill you. Yet aspergers are supposed to be poor liars. Some just lied on this post right here.

To expose more lies. Someone says supermarkets only carry stuff with bad stuff. What's juicy juice? That bad too? I don't think so. It's all natural. Sell that in schools. Im not stupid. I read things. I hear things. I know things.

Are you aspergers saying this stuff to make me feel better? If so then thats no aspie trait either. See. I know things. I think of all angles.

This stuff is based on fact. Aspergers are supposed to have rational minds. Aspergers are supposed to not think on emotion. Very few here have rational minds. I wonder if your really aspergers.

Start acting like aspergers!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2006, 4:20 am

I think it's you being far more autistic than the rest of us. If you just have soda occasionally and have a mostly healthy lifestyle, you're much less likely to get diabetes and stuff. As I said, if you drink enough Coca-Cola and the like over long periods it will eventually result in your body suffering a lot of damage.

And we all die eventually, from old age if not something else. There's no point trying to get away from that.

We're not saying you're stupid at all. We're saying that in moderation, these things won't do you that much damage.